• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Yes, FLEX Height Transitions (FLEX-HT) are the new standard for the ground-to-elevated transitions.  They start out as RHW-2, but if you want to make an MIS transition, simply drag the MIS network into the bottom of the base RHW-2 FLEX-HT, and it'll convert to an MIS transition.  It's allowed us to handle dozens of transitions with just a single piece.

The original reveal video I did on it might be of use:

https://www.youtube.com/v/xMZpEGNP5qc

-Alex

VeTram

yes i know that and have seen your video , but my problem is how to  to connect my ground MIS ramps with the intersection!
For every friend of this community , do NOT forget to send me a p.m if ever visit Greece .

mgb204

So you place the height transition and drag through that using RHW-2, the same thing you select for dragging all RHW networks. If the network coming out is not correctly overriding, for example you want the ramp/intersection to use MIS, you might need to add a starter for MIS after the ramp. If you are trying to place the ramp, without a gap, next to the intersecting road, almost certainly you will need to move the ramps one tile further away from the intersection, maybe two if you want to avoid the use of starters.

Tyberius06

Hi!

I don't know what's the wrong with my diagonal bridge. I'm using DBE and MGB's fixes/patches. But after I make the bridge I have gaps (1st picture) and after a few clicking I got brown boxes, and a few other clicking and rotating the camera I got the gaps back, but later again the boxes.

Also I would like to ask if somebody would be so kind and making a new video tutorial about DBE bridges, because according to my knowladge the old tutorial (on this page) lost its pictures, so only the texts are there.

The other pictures about funny routes what sims choose to travel... What are about these?

I don't understand that busline. Why does the bus line go to the big MHW roundabout if it could use the AVE roundabout too?

Any help thanks in advance!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Mikey Knox

Quote from: Tyberius06 on October 29, 2016, 09:54:33 AM
Hi!

I don't know what's the wrong with my diagonal bridge. I'm using DBE and MGB's fixes/patches. But after I make the bridge I have gaps (1st picture) and after a few clicking I got brown boxes, and a few other clicking and rotating the camera I got the gaps back, but later again the boxes.

When you have drawn the Bridge with the Diagonal Bridge Enabler, you have to click around very carefully Tile by Tile until the whole Bridge looks fine (no Brown Boxes anymore). This can take VERY long (dependent on the lenght of the Bridge), i toke me over an Hour to make it look right (thats the Reason i dont use it anymore ;D) but in the end it works

Tarkus

Regarding the strangely angled commute arrows, they're a quirk you'll sometimes see if a path is located very close to the edge of a tile.  From what we've been able to tell over the years, they're largely harmless.

As far as the bus issue, it's likely that the higher speed on the MIS ramps and the (overridden) Maxis Highway actually makes that more circuitous route quicker than going through the Avenue Roundabout, as strange as that may seem.  The speed on Highway networks (both Maxis and RHW) is 150 km/h for buses (160 km/h if you selected "Highway Bus Lanes" in the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool, or TSCT), while it's 45 km/h on Roads and Avenues.  If your Highway route is less than triple the length of the Avenue route, you'll get that effect.

-Alex

VeTram

Quote from: mgb204 on October 29, 2016, 05:26:09 AM
So you place the height transition and drag through that using RHW-2, the same thing you select for dragging all RHW networks. If the network coming out is not correctly overriding, for example you want the ramp/intersection to use MIS, you might need to add a starter for MIS after the ramp. If you are trying to place the ramp, without a gap, next to the intersecting road, almost certainly you will need to move the ramps one tile further away from the intersection, maybe two if you want to avoid the use of starters.
Thanks a lot mgb204  :thumbsup: and Tarkus  :thumbsup:  now allow me one more easy question till ...the next one.. ;)...
I think i use a lot Draggable Elevated Road viaducts button , can you pls tell me if i can connect it with other networks (since now i know i can connect it with MIS network)  and if yes how? 
ps : when i mean other networks i also mean and Maxis networks

For every friend of this community , do NOT forget to send me a p.m if ever visit Greece .

Tarkus

Everything with the Draggable Elevated Road Viaducts works like any other draggable network.  It is possible to build overpasses over all the Maxis networks (and RHW and NWM networks) that way.  However, if you're looking to make an at-grade intersection, where both networks are the same level (i.e. both L1 or L2), then presently, the MIS is the only network where you can do that (though there is some limited RHW-2 support in NAM 34, as I recall).  That will change with NAM 35, however, as we've added support for same-level viaducts to intersect one another.  The RHW-2 and RHW-4 will also have full support for at-grade intersections with the viaducts as well.

If you're trying to get back down to ground level, the FLEX Height Transitions and FLEX OnSlopes for the viaducts will get you there.  Since there's base Maxis networks coming out of the ground end, there's no need to worry about any starters on the ground side, like there is in the MIS situation earlier.

It is worth noting there is only a single OnSlope configuration--and it'll appear as RHW-2 initially.  Just drag the Road, One-Way Road, or Avenue (if you have a pair of OnSlopes side-by-side) up to the edge of the transition on both sides (but not through), and it'll convert to the appropriate setup.

I hope that helps. :thumbsup:

-Alex

mgb204

Quote from: Tyberius06 on October 29, 2016, 09:54:33 AM
Hi!

One of the things many people get wrong, do NOT place both starters when starting to build a DBE bridge. The T21 overrides need to be stable or you'll just end up clicking around for a very long time.

Place ONLY one starter. Then click over the entire length of the bridge to get the override in place. Only once you have the overrides in place and stable, then plop the second starter. If you do this, it should be reasonably painless. If you are having problems with online-readmes, what's wrong with the HTML readme that was included with the DBE download? If for some reason that's a problem, see here, I added the DBE docs to the NAM Wiki some time ago.

QuoteThe other pictures about funny routes what sims choose to travel... What are about these?

Happens sometimes, it's not a bug, just something outside of our control.

QuoteI don't understand that busline. Why does the bus line go to the big MHW roundabout if it could use the AVE roundabout too?

RHW is a faster network than Ave. Sims won't take the most logical route, simply the quickest one.

VeTram

Tarkus Thanks  :thumbsup:...i am not sure i understand all you write , but generally i think helps me a lot..and yes i am quιte new beginner with NAM ( although not so new in SC4DEV..)

-Firstly , i would like to write an observation i did last night after reading your last post ,and pls confirm me if i am right or wrong!..
Well , i will try to write  as simple as i can.. generally i am at the point that i am trying to construct some RHW intersections with different widths , in  Draggable Elevated Roads ...
-Now , i have tried with large width RHW's like RHW6C and RHW8C ..
(step 1).. Lay down Highways and Draggable Elevated Avenues across ...
(step 2) ..Lay down RHW QC piece ramp ( same way as in a video of yours i've seen lately) , or just drag an MIS ramp ..
(step 3)..in both ways (QC or drag) i continue adding an RHW FLEXHeight Transition L0-L1 and drag it in order to make an at-grade intersection with the Draggable Elevated Avenue across, in all 4 sides..and YES it works! :)
(step 4)..finally drag also the RHW body under the DE Avenue , and OK everything works fine! (no gaps and repeating clicks)...
-I dont know if i am doing the right steps , but i surely know that it works! :)

-I am afraid i cannot comment the same success with L2 height , which unfortunately under the same steps above , make some gaps which i cant adjust ..(although i click several times , the gap remain..)
pls confirm me if its natural or i am doing something wrong ...i repeat with L1 height everything is OK

-Finally , another point i am trying to learn is RHWCosmetics pieces ...I have already search a lot for any advice in Google with no success  (also read the manual of NAM version 31.2 which i found , but not make sense to me)....so, is there any help or support or any link ?

and finally finally , i dont see any lights in my RHW'S at night ...surely i have missed something..help also

-I use RHW last version 34 , really cant find any manual ..

Sorry indeed for my long post ...trying really hard to learn using RHW ...Thanx so much for your help :thumbsup:

Seaman

Quote from: VeTram on October 31, 2016, 02:33:49 AM
-I am afraid i cannot comment the same success with L2 height , which unfortunately under the same steps above , make some gaps which i cant adjust ..(although i click several times , the gap remain..)
pls confirm me if its natural or i am doing something wrong ...i repeat with L1 height everything is OK

I've checked and wasn't able to drag the L2 AvenuexEMIS crossing either. It looks like this is still a rough spot. For a quick workaround you can use the old puzzle piece, which you can find under the RHW/AVE tabring on the bottom of the "build street" section (be sure to double check the right placement for the elevated MIS to be in the right direction, it's hard to see). 

EDIT: in the "imminent" release of NAM 35, I think Tarkus already adressed this issue.

-Finally , another point i am trying to learn is RHWCosmetics pieces ...I have already search a lot for any advice in Google with no success  (also read the manual of NAM version 31.2 which i found , but not make sense to me)....so, is there any help or support or any link ?

Due to their nature as puzzle pieces, cosmetic pieces sometimes do cause some trouble with the new RHW Flex system. Flex Ramps (and the draggable DRIs), hight transitions etc. do not like the cosmetic pieces because they sometimes screw up their overrides. When using them, be careful and be sure to place them AFTER all work on that section is done, scince further dragging and clicking may start the override process which might be corrupted by the cosmetic pieces. I've learned how to use the cosmetic pieces "the hard way" by trying out, lurking through the tab ring and placing all pieces in an experimental area. It might take a while to get used to it, but it's not that complicated after all. Unfortunately I do not know about any Guide to that topic  :(

and finally finally , i dont see any lights in my RHW'S at night ...surely i have missed something..help also

To be honest: I didn't know the RHW pieces had light posts at all. Are you sure the "Highway"s in the RHW are supposed to have them? The guys which are showcasing their awesome pictures in MDs and CJs often use extra mods and single placements for the highways to be illuminated.

mgb204

Finally , another point i am trying to learn is RHWCosmetics pieces ...I have already search a lot for any advice in Google with no success  (also read the manual of NAM version 31.2 which i found , but not make sense to me)....so, is there any help or support or any link ?

As Seaman says, place these pieces last after all other construction is done. Save the city before you start with them too. That way, if something goes wrong, you can revert to the working setup. Try to keep at least a spare tile gap between cosmetic pieces and the following:

• Overpasses/Underpasses
  • Ramps (as in Highway Entrance/Exits)
  • Ramps (Height transitions)
  • Width transitions
  • Special curves, such as MRC/FlexFly pieces

That's not a comprehensive list, but should cover most normal setups.

Quoteand finally finally , i dont see any lights in my RHW'S at night ...surely i have missed something..help also

These are not included by default. Most mods involve manual placement of lights with special lots. LRM by Mandelsoft would be a good place to start if you wanted such things.

bladeberkman

Hi all,

I'm unable to install NAM 35 and I'm not sure why. In my current configuration, I was able to install NAM 34 without any problems. When I ran the NAM 35 installer, it asked me to select the SimCity 4.exe location. I selected the folder, but it didn't recognize the file and it kept asking me to try again.

I'm using Windows 10. I purchased a digital copy of SimCity 4 on Origin. The SimCity 4 is an Application (.exe) file, version 1.1.641.0. Under Properties>Details, the original filename is SimCity 4.exe. I'm running SimCity 4 as an Administrator in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

The file is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition. I've tried placing the file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps, but the installer does not recognize the file in this location, either. In fact, I've tried placing the file in several different locations under Program Files (x86), but regardless of the location, the installer does not recognize the file.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate your help! Thank you!

-Blade

mgb204

I've not heard of the Origin edition causing this problem, plenty of others, but not with NAM. I can't imagine what would have changed with NAM 35 in this respect (the .exe check), so would have to assume something changed on your machine.

In the first instance, uninstall any copies of SC4 from your machine, reboot it, then re-install just once, letting the application install to the default location. Then run the NAM installer, hopefully now it should all work.

I would also point out, you can't simply move applications around like you can files and plugins. They can rely on registry information and other files which specify the location of the installed files. If you move them, rather than use the installer to do this, often things break, best avoided really.

Andreas

I am using the Origin version of SC4 as well, but the default installation path for SC4 is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition". Are you sure you didn't change this manually, but probably not the registry entry for the SC4 installation? Then the NAM installer might fail to find your copy of the game.

In addition, it shouldn't be necessary to edit any compatibility settings for SC4. The only program that I had to set to "WinXP SP3" was SC4Tool, since the menus use a special DLL that apparently just runs unter XP (in Win7, you also had to disable "Desktop Composition").
Andreas

PlutonianEmpire

I upgraded to NAM 35 yesterday and found an issue with the railway underpass in one of my cities, with a railway under a Maxis Highway. (My apologies for mobile pic.)

Any way to fix this, or is this a bug? I did have to rerun the installer after I accidentally clicked the mhw override option.

bladeberkman

Hey again!

Thanks for your quick responses! I've gotten it to work. Andreas, I moved my SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition files to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition. That, alone, did not work. After that, I moved the SimCity 4.exe file to the Apps folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps.

After that, the NAM 35 installer located the SimCity 4.exe file.

In the past, I moved my installation files to the Maxis folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis) because of previous troubleshooting issues - although I can't remember the reason at this point. Anyway, the issue is resolved.

Thanks again!

-Blade

mgb204

Have a look in the z___NAM/y_RealRailway folder, do you have a file there named "z_RRW_MHO_Patch.dat"?

If so, remove it, since that should only be installed if you've chosen the MHO mod too. Perhaps, there is an issue in with the installer.

PlutonianEmpire

Tyberius06

Hello!

I ran into a wierd thing. I don't actually know that is a NAM related issue or else, but if I put a Pedmall Pedestrian Bridge over an OWR-2 and around this tile there are any zones or plopped lots the Pedmall Ped Bridge doesn't appear. If I demolish the zones and lots around this tile, the bridge suddenly appears. I've noticed this only with the OWR yet. (see attached picture).
Thanks any help in advance.

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.