• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your city!

Started by Thundercry, September 07, 2007, 07:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q-Tips

I'm currently living in Vadsø, Norway. A small town with a population of 6000 citicens. There's no nearby cities and theres long distances to any neighbour towns, with hours of driving to get anywhere. The closest city from Vadsø is Murmansk, Russia.

This is where the industry is situated. Some of that is an closed down fishoil factory. Its said to to always spread out an terrible smell. So its not something i miss.

Part of the fishoil factory.

The fishoil factory again.

The ocean is an important factor for the town and many have their work with this.

The town centre. The Germans burned down all the houses in their retreat from the Russians during the war, so many of the town houses are built during 1946-56.

The town church.

The statue you see here are in honour off imigrants. Most people from this town have their origin from either Finland, Russia or are Sami people.

This picture is taken from fishoil factory looking toward the town centre. The weather can be rather harsh, and summer days dont use to be warmer than +15 celsius.

Vadsø is situated north of the arctic circle. That would say that there is 2 months during summer where we have sunshine 24 hours a day and complete darkness day and night for 2 months during the winter.

Complete darkness during winter is maybe not completely correct, as the lights you might see can be rather spectacular.

The sun will be back in the end of January. First days are only for a few minutes.

Thats my town. If you ever have the chance to see Vadsø, then please drive safely.

RickD

Wow, Q-Tips, that's very interesting. I can't really imagine what it is like to live in such a remote location. I guess the landscape is very beautiful there but isn't it boring sometimes?
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

MandelSoft

That's totally unlike my location, which is far from remote (see the post before Q-Tips). You can say that Vadsø is in the middle of nowhere! I can imagine that you find easily some rest there (which you can hardly find here in the Randstad). And I'd love to see the "auora" (the interresting lights on the third from below picture) in my life.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Ryan B.

Here's Lyndonville:

Looking across Johnson's Creek towards the high school complex.

This is where I work.

A look northbound on Main Street.

Behold, Lyndonville's Fourth of July, which is one of the largest in Western New York:

The Lyndonville Tiger high school band!  Every year, thousands gather in this small village (with nary a traffic signal to be seen) to celebrate America's birthday.

There's also a craft show on the school grounds.

Wouldn't you know it, the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra comes every year and puts on a free show!

And, of course, the real reason everyone stays: the fireworks.

Here's a YouTube link to last year's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvpZ15JcxAA

Enjoy!

Dino007

TIGR

ehbk2006

Our city centre late 1980's:

My BAT Showcase: ehbk2006's traffic BAT's
My sketchup models on the 3d warehouse.
[RDY]: Veolia - Coal hopper + E189

ExiLe

I grew up in Grimstad Norway, but I currently live in the outer "suburban" towns of Oslo, our capital and largest city.

Population of the city of Oslo (Oslo county) is around 600.000, the Oslo Metro (Oslo og Omegn) has about 1.100.000 inhabitants.

,take care
...coming soon

cowochina

All of this Giant Superblock Under construction and will completed on 2011/2010/2015
except for Central Park will be open at 09/09/2009

Central Park

Kemang Village ----> Complete at 2010

St Moritz ----> Mall open at 2011 and entirely built on 2015

Ritz Carlton already built

Area 24 at Pancoran, Jakarta ----> completed 2015

Jakarta Downtown View

Twillight

Jakarta From Bayview

And this is Jakarta Tower will be completed at 2012 and will be the tallest structure in Southern Hemisphere

Lukis1994

So i live in Melbourne, Australia and here are some random pictures I've taken around town...

Melbourne from the Shrine of Remembrance.

Flinders Street Station and Eureka Tower

ACMI at Federation Square

Financial District

Yarra's Edge

(Sorry for the size of the last two...)
Computers are the bicycles for the mind...

Swordmaster

For some reason it looks like your color pictures are from the 70s/80s. Looks great!