• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Viceroyalty of Perseus

Started by belfastsocrates, May 17, 2014, 06:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belfastsocrates

Oh I hadn't seen that BAT before, I'll give that a go and play around with the area and do some rebuilding. Yeah there's a long tradition of rowing and there is an annual rowing race between University of Passau and Kings University in Axehaven, Perseus' second city, the fountain is turned off for the rowing race ;)
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

kelis

Nice job with the last updates ! I've enjoyed a lot with the update about the new flood defences, Great job  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

belfastsocrates

Located at the heart of Carrick Island is the Gilbert Scott Building. Designed by, and named after, the renowned British architect George Gilbert Scott, it was one of his last buildings with construction commencing in 1874 and completed on August 10th 1884, six years after his death.

The building is a 144m (472 ft) long by 75m (246 ft) deep, and six storey high, symmetrical structure built in the modern Gothic Revival style. As such, it displays a multitude of stone carvings, including gargoyles, grotesques, and friezes, keeping with the Victorian High Gothic style of the period.

The building was constructed to serve as the new administrative centre of the expanding university and provide ceremonial space for graduations and offices for the University's leading staff.  A role it retains to this day hosting the offices of the University Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor's and Registrar. It also continues to host graduations in the magnificent Great Hall and the various other rooms serve as venues for special events, meetings, conferences and lectures.

The building was completely destroyed as a result of the 1906 Passau Earthquake, the largest ever recorded in Persusian history, forcing a complete re-build. The building was re-built to the original plans with the exception of the central tower which was made taller and had clock faces and bells added. The taller tower was dedicated to the memory of university staff and students that died in the earthquake and resulting fires. The foundation stone of the new building was laid on March 15th 1907 and the new building was due for completion in 1914, however, the onset of the First World War delayed construction and the building was finally completed in 1919 and dedicated on March 15th 1919, twelve years after construction had commenced.

In 1995 the front plaza was redesigned following the introduction of a new light-rail system and incorporated new gardens, road access and the construction of a tram stop. As a result of aging and technological advances the building was closed in 2012 for a period of internal renovation to repair stonework and decorative features as well as to facilitate the replacement of old plumbing, electrics and install a new fibre-optic network to all parts of the structure. The exterior stonework was also cleaned and repaired, the building re-opened in 2014

REPLIES

@art128 - I'm rather curious myself! I haven't created such a thing before in-game recently so I'm relishing the chance to create something both impressive and modern while trying to make it realistic as a major regional hospital facility. We'll see how that goes.....

@kelis - Thank you very much! Yeah I thought the flood defence update was a little different, but I'm trying to diversify the MD updates a little. More things like that update are planned.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

benedict

The flood-prevention system is impressive. I like that you've taken time to showcase that, not commonly seen in an MD. And nice planning map - looking forward to seeing that come to fruition.

Congratulations on being OSITM for March.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

belfastsocrates

Happy St. Patrick's Day from the people of the Viceroyalty of Perseus

belfastsocrates

I've been working on Passau City for many years and it's no where near finished with lots of empty areas to fill, tweaking to complete and new development/areas to plan and populate.

Passau is also my SC4 canvas and as such the city is almost entirely plopped which is a massive undertaking, combined with a significant amount if individually lotted buildings, plazas and so on you can see why it's taken so long and is yet unfinished.

I thought it'd be nice though to have an idea of how the city currently looks. I do plan to change a few areas over the coming months but I hope this gives you a better idea of what Passau encompasses. The black area is a game tile I haven't opened yet.

Click here for larger size

art128

beautiful pictures. The overview is outstanding. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vortext

Wow the overview is excellent!  &apls

The RL historic pictures of the Gilbert Scott Building are a nice touch and the night pics are great, too.  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Gugu3

vinlabsc3k

It's a great start!! :thumbsup:

I love the last update with the real building construction photo and the St. Patrick's Day Special!! &apls
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Dantes

belfastsocrates

Passau City Council launch public design competition for the Perseus Mall

Passau City Council has launched a public design competition and is inviting ideas and concepts for the redevelopment of the Perseus Mall and surrounding public realm. The Perseus Mall was constructed in the late 1980's and incorporates a range of gardens, public squares and artwork. However Passau City Council have been concerned that the area focuses too much on hard landscaping and have discussed a reorganisation of the area following discussions with the Department for Regional Development. Consideration will also be afford to submissions which include the area to the front of Danesfort Palace and the current setting of the Persusian Legislative Palace

The Council would like to see the roads reorganised and a greater emphasis on parkland and soft landscaping. The aim will be the creation of a new city centre park while maintaining the setting of important buildings such as the Supreme Court, Persusian Legislative Assembly, Danesfort Palace and St. Brigid's Cathedral.

No stipulations have been set in regard to style or paving material however the council would like to see native trees used where possible and the inclusion of flowered areas to assist with the Passau Bee Project, which aims to provide the growing number of rooftop hives with access to flowering plants for as much of the year as possible. The Department for Regional Development has already stated that the current road layout, particularly the diagonal avenues, is overbearing and will consider potential mitigation measures as part of this project.

The deadline for prospective design submissions is September 1st 2015. After this date the submissions will be narrowed down to 5 and the citizens of Passau will be given the right to decide on the final design. It is expected that work will commence in January 2016 and take up to 24 months to complete.

REPLIES

@benedict - Thank you. I thought I'd do something a little different given OSITM status. I like to think of Passau as a real city so updates like that are necessary now and then I think, adds to the MD experience I think.

@art128 - Thank you very much, still loads more to build but really wanted to get a mosaic like this finished for OSITM and give people an idea of Passau's development and structure.

@vortext - Thank you! I like to throw in some RL images now and then, I think it adds a little something different to the normal in-game updates.

@Gugu3 - Thank you very much for the very kind comment!

@vinlabsc3k - Thanks! I loved doing the St Patrick's Day update, just a little something to celebarte Perseus' Irish community :)

@Dantes - I'm trilled with 'epic'!  :D Thank you!

kelis

I like those diagonal avenues. They give a nice touch to your city.
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

belfastsocrates

Firstly my apologies for such a long delay between updates, real life has a tendency to monopolise my time rather frequently.

Quote from: vortext on March 12, 2015, 12:01:30 PM
Looking at the overview, that fountain poses somewhat of an additional obstacle for a proper marina. .  ::)  If the origin is tied to the university you might want to take a look at the Brixham Sculling Club, the main building doesn't have any water tiles so it can be placed along ingame water. Maybe there's a long standing tradition of student row competition around the island?  :)

I've taken your advice and completely redesigned the area and removed the marina. I rather pleased with the result so thank you for your advice. I hope the new design is more what you had in mind?

The University of Passau Boat Club was founded formally in 1850, although rowing at the University of Passau has a history which dates back to 1820. The Boat Club's current building was constructed in 1955 and is located on the River Carrick, it provides extensive boat storage, maintenance and rower training facilities including state-of-the-art fitness and body analysis equipment. The University of Passau's Women's Boat Club share the facility but have separate training, fitness and club rooms.

The University of Passau Boat Club has a distinguished heritage and has training several Olympic and Commonwealth rowers for the Persusian National Rowing Team.

The University of Passau boat club races against the Axehaven Boat Club in The Annual Boat Race, currently supported by Atlantis First National Bank on the River Carrick in Passau each year. The race covers a 4 mile route along the Carrick River and has been held annually since 1885. The event is well-established and popular locally with upwards 60,000 people lining the river to watch, the event is also broadcast live by Persus' public broadcaster PBC

art128

I like the idea of a boat club on the river. I've never seen it before. Though you should probably cover the edge with some cattails and small rocks instead to have the bare terrain slope.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

belfastsocrates

Quote from: art128 on May 31, 2015, 08:20:26 AM
I like the idea of a boat club on the river. I've never seen it before. Though you should probably cover the edge with some cattails and small rocks instead to have the bare terrain slope.

Yeah I need to fiddle a little with the edge, I'm going to try a few things to see how they look, failing that I'll just use photoshop to bring the waterline up slightly. It's a bit tricky to pull off as easily as it is on a canal but I like experimenting.

romualdillo

I think I've missed some updates... As always, the public space is fantastic. I wonder how many hours you've spent planning it...  &apls

Themistokles

Oftentimes, with such large swathes of public space, they get bleak and empty, so also in this game, but you have managed to structure and plan them well and meanwhile brought in that little detail here and there, like all the different cafés that strollers have to choose from, that really makes the cityscape come alive... A pleasure to read! :thumbsup:
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

belfastsocrates

The Victoria Library is one of the University of Passau's greatest treasures. It was initially constructed to serve as the library of Victoria College, a college established to provide university education to women in Perseus. Victoria College was amalgamated with the University of Passau in 1915 and its students became full members of the University. The library was retained and today continues to serve its role as a library and reading room. The library's collection comprises 600,000 items, covering hundreds of years of history.

The main reading room rises to a vaulted ceiling and the walls and stacks are lined with white pine panelling carved into a variety of textures, flowers, masks, and mythical creatures. Standing directly in the centre of the room is a white marble statue of Queen Victoria, whom the college and library were named after.

The library has been augmented and renovated a number of times since its construction in 1860, the last between 2008 and 2012, though the form and decor remain essentially authentic.

REPLIES

@kelis - Thank you. I sometimes feel I overdo it with diagonals so I'm pleased you think they look well. :)

@romualdillo - Many many hours  :D Thank you for your kind words and encouragement

@Themistokles - That's very kind, thank you for such positive comments and feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to comment, it means a lot to have feedback.

c.p.

Wow, somehow I've never seen this MD before. :shocked2: Your sims are lucky to have such impressive public spaces.