• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4DP Icon

Started by dragonshardz, August 05, 2009, 05:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonshardz

I'm working on an icon for shortcuts to the awesome SC4DP, will post it here when I am done.

EDIT: It's done and attached below.

EDIT2: A preview:

Pat

Hey Shardzs any chance of seeing the Icon without having to DL it first?

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

I would highly recommend that, if you haven't already done so, check with the appropriate people to make sure that they are, in fact, looking for this type of thing for the DatPacker.

dragonshardz

Pat: sure, just let me upload it to Photobucket.

thundercrack83: Well, who wouldn't be looking for a better icon? There isn't a default icon, and the Windows icons don't fit at all. as for the appropriate people, who would that be?

k808j

I can't see the icon when I try to change icons.

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

thundercrack83

thundercrack83: Well, who wouldn't be looking for a better icon? There isn't a default icon, and the Windows icons don't fit at all. as for the appropriate people, who would that be?

The problem lies in "better"--you think your icon is better, but the original icon creator may not. Moreover, the statement "who wouldn't be looking for a better icon?" can be construed as insulting to the creator.

dragonshardz

thundercrack83: That's just it: there isn't an original icon at all. Just the icon Windows displays when there's no icon selected. Since I think that the default icon doesn't fit the program all too well, I made this icon.

On the left: the default Windows icon. On the right: my icon.

Also, some people are looking for a better icon: the .zip I attached has been downloaded a few times.

k808j: You need to unzip the .zip file attached to the first post into your Pictures folder, the right click on the icon on your desktop and select "Properties." Then click on "Change Icon", then "Browse". Then find the icon and select it, and then hit OK. The picture in the first post is a .png, not a .ico.

Pat

Shardzs I agree that your icon is sooo much better then the default windows icon.... A wee bit better on the wording wouldnt hurt though  ;)

IE "My icon I made to me is better then default windows icon that shows up on a Vista Machine" just a thought there - patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

RebaLynnTS

Personally, I like your icon, and I don't think it much matters if, or how you state your opinion. If someone gets offended by it, that's their problem. It's not like you called someone a name, or actually insulted someone else's work (unless you count Microsoft).
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

dragonshardz

Pat: That is generally what I said.

Quote from: dragonshardz on August 06, 2009, 11:13:26 AM
There isn't a default icon, and the Windows icons don't fit at all.

You see? As far as I can tell, all I'm saying is that there isn't a default icon (i.e., it comes with the program and is part of the .exe or is a file in the install folder) and none of the Windows icons really fit the program all too well. There's no insult, so no injury. Though I think I'll reword the post above yours a bit.

Reba: Thank you for the compliment. While yes, it is someone's problem if they offended by a personal opinion, there's no harm in stating your opinion as politely as possible.

For example, I could have said, "The icon that comes with SC4DP is crap, so I'm making a better one. Screw you, development team!" But not only is that impolite, it could also get me banned permanently. I try to tread carefully; early on in my membership I got temporarily banned for making some rather uncouth comments and being impolite in a thread for LEX candidacy.

As well as being rude, it's also untrue: SC4DP doesn't come with an icon at all, and that's not the development teams' fault! ;)