• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

District of Wenzel - Update 116 - 3/17/15

Started by packersfan, June 04, 2010, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packersfan

So Shadow_Assassin, I'm wondering how you made the blank dat?  I mean did you create a texture and get an IID for it and then edit the texture and remove the base texture from the dat?

Shadow Assassin

When I made the cycleway kit, I created clones of the default Maxis textures I used (nice grass, crappy grass), and used one of my IIDs for it, then I created a third DAT that didn't contain that texture in it, so it's a lot like the "Silly Texture" mod someone did once for modding purposes and faking transparent lots.

As a result, I didn't need to create three sets of lots; all I did was include the main lots and the three DATs containing that texture.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

packersfan

Okay, but I still don't understand how the transparent.dat acts like a texture since there is absolutely no texture information contained within it.  What is its IID?  Doesn't it still require someone to go into each lot and edit the texture to that texture (what makes it better than just eliminating the base property?).  I'm getting the sense that it is impossible to make a transparent replacement texture, since the texture creation program in SC4Tool requires a BMP...am I missing something?

I understand the black hole bug is an issue.  I also understand how to create "regular" replacement textures in SC4Tool, but transparency is something that is not supported by that tool it seems.  I opened the texture.dat I created in Reader and deleted all the FSH files to see if that would make a transparent replacement thing, but no luck.

Thanks for the help and feedback.

memo

Quote from: packersfan on November 10, 2014, 05:33:53 PM
Okay, but I still don't understand how the transparent.dat acts like a texture since there is absolutely no texture information contained within it.  What is its IID?  Doesn't it still require someone to go into each lot and edit the texture to that texture (what makes it better than just eliminating the base property?).  I'm getting the sense that it is impossible to make a transparent replacement texture, since the texture creation program in SC4Tool requires a BMP...am I missing something?

This is exactly the point. The transparent dat does not contain any FSH file. There are lots referencing a specific FSH ID in the cycleway kit, but if there is no FSH file of that ID in your plugins (that is, you chose the transparent dat), the game cannot display any texture and the lot will end up transparent. This doesn't help you with the Maxis files though, as the FSH files already exist in the game files (unless you remove them from the game files, which is not advisable). Specifically, Shadow Assassin mentioned he copied the FSH files to use new non-existant IIDs, which is required to make this work.

There is one other possibility by abuse of the FSH format. Instead of only a single image, FSH files are in fact capable of storing an array of images. This array can also be empty, which makes it possible to override FSH files from the game files by empty FSH files which render transparent. For instance, the attached FSH files remove the medium wealth sidewalk textures. Be careful though, as the Reader can't handle it – clicking the FSH files will cause the Reader to crash instantly. You can use the TGI Editor to change the IDs, though. I also haven't tested it very much in game, so use at your own risk.

packersfan

Update 102 - Brittany Town Expanding Along Brittany River South Park
Didn't get much done this week as I was mostly trying to figure out some texture modding.  So here is a look at Brittany Town south of Brittany River.

An old picture of Brittany Town...I think I made it look TOO old.  Heck, there are roads and a gas station!

This is a little bit more believable.

I love these farm fields.

Brittany Town expanding north towards Brittany River

Brittany Town expanding east

You are here.

Hope you enjoy this little update I put together.  Just felt a little bored with what I was working on this week in SimCity.  Hopefully, next week will prove more fruitful. 

Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.  This is A NEW LINK as the old LINK was dead!

Themistokles

I really like what I'm seeing; the layout of the city is very realistic. I'm just a little curious how you go about the planning process: Do you have a plan that you follow when you build or does it just come natural? Do you do the street map before or after you build an area in-game?
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

packersfan

I have no overall plan.  Sometimes, I regret that as some things end up looking unnatural (i.e. not following the terrain when they should) when I'm just on a boring grid roll, haha.

The only things I planned initially was the laying of the roads every mile like in the American mid-west and west.  That was done 4 years ago and ever since I've just been filling in and altering things if needed to be more realistic.

I do the street map after things are placed in-game.  The map reflects what is in game (though with smoother curves and angles which are not always achievable in game without using the step method).

art128

Wonderful update. As always the region view is simply stunning.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

carlfatal

Indeed a very nice update, particulary I like the attempt with the old picture and your following words. Without the gaz station and the streets - well the buildings would indeed fit into old times...  :D
And I love the first picture, it looks like some real painting, the colors remindme to vanGogh pictures! :thumbsup:

packersfan

Update 103 - Kenilworth Neighborhood - Updating the Flora
Today, we will revisit an old neighborhood on the north side of Martin.  Kenilworth Neighborhood is located north of I-80 and northwest of Downtown Martin.  It is comprised of mostly single-family homes with a strong industrial presence along the railroad between North and Sherman Avenues.  I've gone back and removed grass lots to show off the excellent terrain underneath and updated the flora to seasonal stuff.  Hope you enjoy.

Title Picture: Stylized shot of Grace Lutheran Church at the corner of North 48th Street and West North Avenue.

Old shot of Exit 283B...note the grass lots and traffic generators.  I'm having no luck getting traffic generators to work in my cities anymore.  Any clues?

New flora, exposed the terrain underneath.

I'm in the process of moving D-230 from North Avenue to Washington Avenue.  North Avenue has been redesignated County Highway N.

Finally got the red-brick bridges back.

That grass looks awesome!

Nearly the same shot as earlier.

Beautiful fall colors.  Would be ideal to get all the trees to be seasonal...one thing at a time.

I need to get some even more close-up shots of these great looking buildings.  Excellent batting work!

You are here. Oops, this cut out of the map happened to not grab a single N/S street name (besides McPherson Drive).

It is always fun to go back to an old area and update it.  Sometimes, headaches are involved.  Kenilworth proved fun and interesting.  Applewood, Lucas, and Luther Neighborhoods will really be a blast from the far past.  Hmm...some ideas for future updates! 

Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.  This is A NEW LINK as the old LINK was dead!

Themistokles

It's  always such a delight to see a new update in this MD, and knowing a little about the planning that goes behind it makes it all the more interesting. Despite the number of freeways, this residential area comes across as so lush and tranquil. And, speaking of parks, how did you achieve that seamless andnicelooking park texture in pic 9. Is it a work of custom lotting or have you found a set of fitting lawn pieces?

Anyway, great work as always and I'm already looking forward to the next update.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

kelis

Your region view is just...awesome !! Keep up the good work  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

carlfatal

Wonderful as always!  &apls

Particulary I like the new terrain but: maybe you should change some of the parameters to avoid the rocky terrain, if you build bridges. But this is minor, I am always stunned by the pictures here.  :thumbsup:

vinlabsc3k

Beautiful updates!! :thumbsup:
For the next update I would view North St Paul or St James. ;)
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

APSMS

I think someone needs to install Rivit's Railway Upgrade Mod for RRW.

Very nice otherwise, and it's neat to see progress in old areas as new mods/content is created.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

packersfan

Update 104 - Halleck Square Neighborhood
Today we will visit Halleck Square Neighborhood.  This neighborhood happens to sit on the borders of three city tiles in SC4, so the pictures are all from a massive mosaic/composite created from images from each of the city tiles.  I didn't do the best job, and I think I need to slow down my update schedule to once every two weeks.  Hope you enjoy this.

Can you spot the composite?  This area blended together pretty well.

So many churches within this 1/4 square mile.

Still working on getting some good base textures that will blend nicely with the terrain texture.

Northwest corner of Halleck Square Neighborhood.

Southwest corner of Halleck Square Neighborhood, on a different tile.

West Orchard Avenue.  Agh, telltale signs of poor cross border planning, and things that CAN'T be controlled.

However, the composites are much better with the new trick I learned to make street connections.

Wow, I never noticed the stained glass detail before!

Overview of the whole neighborhood and the only picture that contains Halleck Square (the two large flower gardens).

You are here. (I didn't grab a map section because the map section isn't updated everywhere for this update and the zoomed in image would look pretty bad...I'll try to get a map up this week.)

I need to do a better job putting together these updates before the last minute.  I make too many mistakes or find mistakes at that I don't have time to fix at the last minute...ugh.  Hope you enjoy this composite image update! 

vinlabsc3k

Great neighborhoods!!

Sorry to mention it again, but:

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on November 05, 2014, 01:58:54 AM
Where did you find these back-alleys?

Click to enlarge

Wilfried

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on November 27, 2014, 12:07:06 AMWhere did you find these back-alleys?
Those are seaport or industrial fillers, not back-alleys.

vinlabsc3k

Quote from: Wilfried on November 30, 2014, 04:53:53 PM
Quote from: vinlabsc3k on November 27, 2014, 12:07:06 AM
Those are seaport or industrial fillers, not back-alleys.

Thanks Wilfried, but I want a link and not what they are. ;)

noahclem

Lovely (and apparently quite reverent) little neighborhood there  &apls  You said you found a trick for street border crossings? What was it? :P