• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

There isn't anything we can do about this behaviour, precisely because the network types used to make such pieces work. However you only need to press CTRL when zoning next to such networks, so it's not a massive problem.

j.snowpr

Quote from: Tarkus on May 01, 2017, 08:43:26 PM
It sounds like some of the RUL information got wiped out of your controller after reinstalling to add the Bullet Train Mod.  RULs are what allow NAM features to work, and it sounds as if the RULs for GLR and STR didn't end up in your plugins after the first reinstall.  Did you do the reinstall over top of your existing install, or wipe the old install before the reinstall?  If it's the latter, that might be part of the issue.  The NAM installer can read existing installs and select the boxes to correspond to your existing set of options automatically, but if you have a clean plugins folder, it doesn't have that information to go on, and it's easy to forget which options you previously had installed.

I don't think you're going to have to reinstall the game, as this is a mod installation issue, but you are going to have to reinstall the NAM again.  I'd strongly advise against having the "Decouple" option selected, as that's only intended for advanced users, and may result in the model/texture resources being installed, without the RULs to allow those features to be built in your cities.  Absolutely make sure that the Single-Track Rail and Draggable Ground Light Rail options are selected in custom installation, and that they are not shown with an "SR" or "NR" near them.

-Alex

Hello, just to let you know I finally fixed the issue. i did what you suggested, reinstalled NAM and made sure Draggable GLR and the like were checked and still the same issue persisted, then I remembered what you said about the controller being wiped. So I went into the Tools folder and inside the Controller Compiler ran the NAMControllerCompiler, there were the options for draggable GLR unchecked and also RHD was selected, I checked every option and chose LHD, ran it, and started the game. Voila! All went back to normal!!

Thanks for your help, really awesome!!

APSMS

Quote from: j.snowpr on May 02, 2017, 07:25:54 PM
there were the options for draggable GLR unchecked and also RHD was selected, I checked every option and chose LHD, ran it, and started the game. Voila! All went back to normal!!
Just to double check, the driving side refers to which side of the road your Sims drive on, correct? LHD means the British form, with Cars on the LEFT and the Driver on the RIGHT, which is opposite the actual RL usage of these terms.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

j.snowpr

So, either I was lucky or somewhere the options changed that I didn't noticed, I checked LHD from the point of view of actual cars, LHD meaning driving from the left side of the car like US cars, not from the right side as Euro and Asian cars... But whatever was corrupted it somehow fixed itself, traffic flows as it 's supposed to, even new roads show the "proper" orientation... I don't know what to tell you except that I was lucky and definitely  going to be extra careful whenever I add something again!

But thanks for the concern, greatly appreciated!

Andreas

Quote from: APSMS on May 02, 2017, 09:31:53 PM
Just to double check, the driving side refers to which side of the road your Sims drive on, correct? LHD means the British form, with Cars on the LEFT and the Driver on the RIGHT, which is opposite the actual RL usage of these terms.
Apparently, the understanding for "LHD" and "RHD" varies from place to place. When doing a Google search, I either find the explanation that "LHD" refers to the steering wheel being on the left-hand side of the car, or driving on the left-hand side of the road. The NAM Team picked up the latter explanation, maybe because most people think of vehicles using the left or right side of the road rather than the position of steering wheel when they're referring to this issue.
Andreas

AsimPika3172

Alright guys! I found some glitched roads here! Look carefully before fix them!

Just connect RD4 into Avenue and results is some blank space! For traffic lights, some invalid one when I using Stoplight Replaced Mod (SRM) by connecting RD4 into Avenue.
I loves Sim City forever!

mgb204

Quote from: j.snowpr on May 03, 2017, 02:59:56 AM
So, either I was lucky or somewhere the options changed that I didn't noticed, I checked LHD from the point of view of actual cars,

I strongly urge you to go back and re-run the controller with the correct RHD setting selected (hence why it was the default). I know it may all look like it's fine, most likely because the paths installed by the NAM installer previously would all be RHD. But, somewhere lurking in the code, something could cause you problems down the line. Since the code for Driving on the Left side of the road (LHD) needs to be different from driving on the right (RHD) for all rail-based networks. By running the wrong side, you may find Rail, El-Rail, GLR, Monorail and derivatives actually have no paths at all, causing them not to function. This includes all crossings involving those networks.

Quote from: AsimPika3172 on May 03, 2017, 05:36:47 AM
Alright guys! I found some glitched roads here!

Firstly any issues relating to SRM fall outside the scope of the NAM. If those lights are a problem without any mods affecting them, we might take a look at it.

Next, due to the nature of some NWM networks, support for some crossings was deliberately excluded. For example, NRD-4 x AVE is not supposed to work unless dragged through the avenues median as part of the intersection. As such, I don't think there is anything you've shown we'd consider a bug, rather intended behaviour.

PS, the network in your screenshots is not RD-4, but NRD-4.

j.snowpr

Duly noted, will do today as soon as I get home. Thank God I only played for a few minutes to check everything was ok..!!

Thanks for clarifying!

AsimPika3172

Quote from: mgb204 on May 03, 2017, 06:10:20 AM
PS, the network in your screenshots is not RD-4, but NRD-4.

Opps! Sorry for confusing kind of road!  :-[ Anyway, thanks for everything.  :thumbsup:
I loves Sim City forever!

Mikey Knox

I dont think Diagonal Rail over AVE should look like this  :D

The whole Game freezes for Seconds when dragging and bulldozing that,can someone reproduce this?

APSMS

Looks like some path files went for a walk, and didn't come back.

Mikey Knox

Quote from: APSMS on May 11, 2017, 03:52:37 PM
Looks like some path files went for a walk, and didn't come back.

I know, but why does it work a little further down below ()what()

Edit: Without anything installed (just the NAM) its empty, so there is something missing in the NAM.

mgb204

There was a patch addressed to include support for flipped crossings with NAM 35 here.

I suggest you re-download and apply the patch, removing any previous files. If you installed the LHD paths for a RHD game, that might explain what I'm seeing. But be careful to match LHD/RHD paths from that patch to match both your installed game settings and NAM settings for the driving side. The patch is well tested, so I'd be very surprised to start hearing of problems only now.

Mikey Knox

Quote from: mgb204 on May 11, 2017, 05:25:16 PM
There was a patch addressed to include support for flipped crossings with NAM 35 here.

I suggest you re-download and apply the patch, removing any previous files. If you installed the LHD paths for a RHD game, that might explain what I'm seeing. But be careful to match LHD/RHD paths from that patch to match both your installed game settings and NAM settings for the driving side. The patch is well tested, so I'd be very surprised to start hearing of problems only now.

Thx MGB thats exactly what i was looking for, i knew you made a Patch for that but couldnt find it anymore (why isnt this even pinned anywhere?)

mgb204

It doesn't always make sense to pin such patches, since they will become obsolete when new NAM versions are released. But perhaps a special pinned threads with patches for only the current NAM version makes sense. I'll discuss that with the team and see if we can't make them easier to find. :)

eagle74

Two Questions: 1-I can not get the flex height transitions to work for the MIS on & off elevation changes (L0 to L2) on a simple diamond interchange (road over RHW-4).  After trying this all kinds of ways for more than an hour, I finally just used the deprecated MIS ground to elevated puzzle piece with no issues.  What is the correct piece to use for this application?

2-In setting up a neighborhood connection with RHW-4 do you need to separate the two halves of the RHW-4 by one tile at the neighbor border & plop the invisible loop connector between them?  If the two halves are on adjacent tiles you obviously cannot plop the loop connector without being on one of the network tiles.

APSMS

I am not sure about #1. I've never had a problem using the L0 to L2 in recent history (there were teething issues at the start but those were long gone by NAM 32 and 33). The L0 to L2 transition you're using is the long one, correct?

I am generally more fond of earthen ramps, but still in my experience I have not had any problems with these. Are you using the Draggable roads as well? These are generally more stable than the puzzle pieces, and notably the FLEX ramps won't connect properly to the deprecated Elevated Road Puzzle Pieces without some (basic, but non-obvious) trickery.

For #2, the loop connector is only necessary for separated carriageways. If your routes are adjacent, then you only need to plop the appropriate connector piece over the existing RHW neighbor connections. Of course, you do need to establish the neighbor connections first (dragging to the border to get the neighbor connection dialogue popup).

eagle74

Thanks for the help.  On #1, I am using the long ones & could not get them to orient correctly.  Perhaps, I did not leave enough room for them between the MIS stub on the RHW-4 & the MIS/Road intersection piece.  Followed the guide for dragging out MIS stubs 6 tiles from the overpass.  I will give it a bit more room & try this tonight.

On #2, I am glad to hear that.  Highways already take up enough space, & I was trying to put it in a tight location.

mgb204

You might need one or two tiles from the ramp to the piece you are connecting with, but it really depends on the pieces surrounding the transition. For example if you use drag/flex ramps, they will be much more stable. Similarly, use of the drag elevated viaducts will be more stable the other end. If puzzle pieces are involved, you'll need more space.

eagle74

I tried moving the RHW-4 ramps out 7, 8, & 9 tiles from the overpass & the flex height transition now will align with the ramp, but it leaves a one tile gap between the top of the ramp & the MIS/Road intersection which looks like a construction tile.  If I move the flex height to cover the gap it rotates 90 degrees out of alignment.  One side of the setup is a L0 road which is elevated to L2 with the 15m road starter piece, followed by the MIS/Road intersection piece, followed by the road over RHW-4 piece.  I am creating the A1 ramps on the RHW-4 by dragging a MIS stub out of the RHW-4.