• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

The button you're referring to is the Deprecated Height Transitions.  They're no longer installed by default--haven't been since at least NAM 33--and have to be explicitly selected in the installer.

-Alex

nickWtn

Wait. I found what I think I meant In a video review for NAM 32, in there it's called RealHighway Hight Transition. Is that the same thing? if so I remember it being in using them in NAM 34, and I just did the standard complete install then, what do I need to do now? 

Tarkus

Yes, those are exactly the same thing.  They've since become more or less obsolete (save for the Curved MIS Transition, which will be replaced down the line) and aren't recommended for use anymore, due to the fact that the FLEX Height Transitions are much more capable.

You'll need to go into Custom Installation and select the checkbox for them.  You'll find the checkbox under "Additional Features and Customizations".  Go to where it says "Real Highway Options" (near the bottom of the whole list), click the "+" sign next to that point to expand the menu, and then check the box for "Legacy Deprecated Height Transitions".

-Alex

nickWtn

Thank you very much, was quite confused when I didn't see them, though I had messed something up.

bon_joni

I can't get NAM 35 to install on my Mac (OS El Capitan 10.11). This error comes up part way through installation, halting it every time.
"Extract: error writing to file
NetworkAddonMod_TurningLanes_OneWayRoadSignalization_Plugin.dat"

EDIT: SOLVED. Deleted NAM 35 and reinstalled using a different mirror.

SimJack

MAXIS HIGHWAY OVERRIDE question.

I have installed the new NAM 35 and everything works fine. I have not installed the MAXIS HIGHWAY OVERRIDE(MHO) but I'd like to. My question is:

I had not installed MHO on the previous NAM version and I've been using Maxis default highway in my cities; if I install MHO now, how will it affect my current network?

Seaman

Quote from: SimJack on January 17, 2017, 12:42:35 PM
if I install MHO now, how will it affect my current network?

it should be overridden automatically, so no worries. MHO does not override every prefab interchange (like the big 4-way) so you might want to replace them after you've installed the MHO.

mgb204

I had not installed MHO on the previous NAM version and I've been using Maxis default highway in my cities; if I install MHO now, how will it affect my current network?

One thing you really must consider is that retro-fitting a tight interchange made with MHY may be near-impossible with MHO in the same space. None of the intersections for MHY exist when using MHO, every one will need not only to be rebuilt, but made differently using either the limited range of MHO prefabs or by utilising the MIS system from the RHW. I'm not intending here to put you off, but you will likely need to make big changes and require more space to mirror your existing highways.

On the plus side, the highways themselves will automatically update, as will crossings and tunnels. Bridges won't, because MHO has very limited support for bridges, so again, these will likely need to be re-built. Depending on your use of MHY, it may be easier to use it when starting a new region. If you want to try things out, install the MHO and open some cities and you will soon get an idea of what I'm talking about here. Provided you don't save any cities during this time, you can revert back to MHY if you choose to at that point.

andyo

Hello. I have downloaded NAM35 to my mac. In game some of the items are available like stations and ninja stops etc but none of the road options are there. When going to build roads there are only the 4 maxis selections. I believe I've compiled successfully so I do not know what is missing? Thank you in advance.

Tarkus

Unfortunately, there isn't anyone active on the team right now who has any real experience installing the NAM on a Mac, so the support we can give you is pretty limited.  It sounds like you may have had the most basic option selected in the installer, or part of the package was installed to the wrong location.  The "right" location depends on whether you're running the App Store version or the Steam version--from what I have heard, they (confusingly) handle things differently. 

The Mac version installer is literally just the Windows version running in a Wineskin wrapper, so it's not particularly attuned to the Mac versions and their differences.

-Alex

SimJack

Quote from: Seaman on January 17, 2017, 01:15:41 PM
if I install MHO now, how will it affect my current network?

it should be overridden automatically, so no worries. MHO does not override every prefab interchange (like the big 4-way) so you might want to replace them after you've installed the MHO.

Thanks Seaman

SimJack

Quote from: mgb204 on January 17, 2017, 03:46:38 PM

One thing you really must consider is that retro-fitting a tight interchange made with MHY may be near-impossible with MHO in the same space. None of the intersections for MHY exist when using MHO, every one will need not only to be rebuilt, but made differently using either the limited range of MHO prefabs or by utilising the MIS system from the RHW. I'm not intending here to put you off, but you will likely need to make big changes and require more space to mirror your existing highways.

On the plus side, the highways themselves will automatically update, as will crossings and tunnels. Bridges won't, because MHO has very limited support for bridges, so again, these will likely need to be re-built. Depending on your use of MHY, it may be easier to use it when starting a new region. If you want to try things out, install the MHO and open some cities and you will soon get an idea of what I'm talking about here. Provided you don't save any cities during this time, you can revert back to MHY if you choose to at that point.

OK. I installed MHO. The Elevated Highway was overwritten but, the Ground Level Highway was not. Why is that?

SimJack

SimJack

I can't get the Draggable Elevated Road Viaducts (Drag.ERD) to work. What am I missing?

Also, I can't find the RHW4 - Ground To Elevated Transition ON-OFF piece to make the intersection on the attached video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UGIFwgkHWY

mgb204

To get the RHW4 Ground to Elevated transition, you must install the "Depreciated RHW Height Transitions". Note that these will not have been installed unless specifically selected during NAM's installation. The reason for this is that they have been replaced by the more flexible Flex-Height transitions. If you are looking to make a SPUI, elevated or otherwise, they do not work with the new Flex-Height transitions, but actually, you may find the SPUI doesn't work full-stop. Changes in NAM 33's code causes huge instability with SPUI interchanges, work is underway on the flexible SPUI replacements, but that might be a few versions off still. You can usually build the SPUI itself, but may find that the RHW networks running over/under them simply will not stabilise.

As for the Draggable Elevated Road Viaducts, can you explain what exactly isn't working as expected? Perhaps just detailing what steps you are taking might help to work out the problem? Otherwise, take a look at this video I made, it shows how to use them, perhaps that helps you to see what's going wrong?

SimJack

Thanks mgb204,

As far as the RHW4 Ground to Elevated Transition is concerned, it seems I need to use only simple intersections. You are right, the simpler the better.

As far as the Draggable Elevated Road Viaducts are concerned, they do not work at all. I need to drag an elevated road for about 20 tiles but, when I drag the road through the starter piece, it remains at ground level. I tried this with all starter pieces (road, avenue, OWR). I don't want to raise the ground because it will ruin the design.

XL2007

Ok, so what's the deal with this bridge? (It's the RD-4 iron girder bridge)

mgb204

Quote from: SimJack on January 19, 2017, 08:59:19 AM
As far as the Draggable Elevated Road Viaducts are concerned, they do not work at all. I need to drag an elevated road for about 20 tiles but, when I drag the road through the starter piece, it remains at ground level. I tried this with all starter pieces (road, avenue, OWR). I don't want to raise the ground because it will ruin the design.

Can you confirm if you are building the elevated sections using an actual starter piece or the on-slope transitions? Whichever it is, does the other one work at all? If not, I think there must be some missing RUL2 code somewhere. The only solution for that is to re-run the NAM installer once more to add the missing code. Before you do though, check you don't have any outdated NAM files still knocking about in your plugins folder. I can also confirm these are all working fine for my game.

Quote from: XL2007 on January 19, 2017, 11:56:16 AM
Ok, so what's the deal with this bridge? (It's the RD-4 iron girder bridge)

In the first instance the bridge is not the right one, it should look very similar to the RD-6 bridge. I think there may either be a conflict with another bridge or perhaps some other error in the bridge controller which is behind the issue. However this does appear to be an error/bug in the NAM, since it was working fine in NAM34. I'll try to get to the bottom of it, but this probably can't be fixed until NAM36 is released. Since there is only one RD-4 bridge in the NAM, the only workaround for the time being is using an Ave bridge and transitioning from Ave to RD-4 on either side.

SimJack

Quote from: mgb204 on January 19, 2017, 01:10:56 PM
Quote from: SimJack on January 19, 2017, 08:59:19 AM

Can you confirm if you are building the elevated sections using an actual starter piece or the on-slope transitions? Whichever it is, does the other one work at all? If not, I think there must be some missing RUL2 code somewhere. The only solution for that is to re-run the NAM installer once more to add the missing code. Before you do though, check you don't have any outdated NAM files still knocking about in your plugins folder. I can also confirm these are all working fine for my game.

I removed the Elevated Road Network(ERN) folder from my plugins and re-installed NAM and the ERN works just fine.
Thanks mgb204  &apls &apls

SimJack

Why is this happening and how can I fix it?
The Left elevated curve is L1 and the Right one is L2.