• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Looking for Base Textures of Rail to make Stations

Started by Mr_Maison, March 12, 2013, 12:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Maison

Not sure where to ask for this.....I am designing a transit hub for my current region. I am still a bigginer at BAT. I would like to know how I can get the rail and monorail textures (in gmax or Sketchup) to help guide my platform construction? Thanks in advance.

cogeo

I would suggest avoiding use of any kind of rail texture in BATs, because the result is very unsighty; the look pixelated, brighter and more thick, not giving the impression of track continuity. Instead, use lot overlay terxtures (can't remember the IDs but they are easy to find in LE).

Monorail tracks are not textures, they are instead models. The best you can do here is do not model the tracks, but find the model in the simcity .dats (pls ask the help of a NAMite), and append it to your exported model using my SC4 Model Tweaker utility.

As for the platforms, train automata are... 4.0m wide (yes!) and their paths are at ±2.0m off the centre, so the clearance of the left track is from -4.0m to 0.0m and the right one from 0.0m to 4.0m, which means that your platforms should start from -4.0m (leftwards) and 4.0m (rightwards).

Hope this helps.

memo

If you want to create a monorail station, I highly recommend the use of Xyloxadoria's Elevated Network Props. These props are added to the Lots instead of the BAT model itself.

Mr_Maison

Thanks for your replies. I only wanted the textures for reference purposes not to actually use in the model end product. I have a way of modeling where I like to get a sense of scale to lead my designs. But I guess the SC4 world has its own rules in this regard. So I'm just trying find the "SC4 Tape Measure". Are there any examples of BATs for rails in progress anywhere?

@Cogeo: what exactly do I do with textures found in LE in relation to working in gmax or Sketchup?