• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Packing RTMT

Started by dafiden, August 24, 2009, 05:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dafiden

Does anyone know if RTMT can be successfully packed (using DATPacker 2008)?

I get warnings from DATPacker.
Useless file, all entries have been superseeded (sic) in:
RTMTV3_APropBase_BusStop_SG.dat
RTMTV3_APropBase_GLR_Modern.dat
RTMTV3_APropBase_Subway_Mcdrye.dat

Should I just choose not to pack RTMT?  Should I move RTMT to the SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins base game folder so it won't be packed?

Thanks.

P.S.  I used the RTMT installer and read all the instructions for a manual install, so I'm 99% certain I have RTMT installed properly.

CaptCity

dafiden,

I have also packed RTMT, and I get the same messages (among many other similar ones). Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the mechanics of DatPacker to explain the messages (perhaps someone will come along that can), but I do know that RTMT does seem to function normally after being packed. I have not had any issues yet. You might try it, and if it doesn't work for you just put the original files back. If you don't want to pack it, you can move it out of your plugins while packing (assuming it's all in one folder), then put it back afterwards. Just a thought...

SC4BOY

I've not found ANYTHING that I can't datpack and still have it work.. as long as you pay STRICK ATTENTION to the proper order of and naming conventions for files and folders. I freely pack things... even those things that people say "DONT DATPACK, DON"T DATPACK!!!" 

Since datpacker processes the files exactly the same way SC4 does, it will CAUSE NO HARM.. HOWEVER be aware that it can make upgrading and configuration changes a bit trickier if you get sloppy about how you handle the upgrade and repack procedures.

All failures of DatPacker are infact the failure of the user in handling and applying the DatPacker. I've never seen any instance where it failed to work when properly used.. and trust me I've screwed it up a few times back when I was learning to use it.. :)

edit: I just thought of ONE THING that MAY NOT work, but I don't know enough about it yet to say.. that is when you use an "auxilliary program" to modify files "on the fly" it may get things crossed up.. these MIGHT include the DAMN tools or maybe the SSPTool or the SC4Config..etc.. but in terms of just loading and running SC4/RH or Delux there should never be a problem.

z

It is officially recommended that you do NOT DATPack RTMT, as doing so will disable the current customization features, which are going to be expanded greatly in RTMT V4.  DATPacking RTMT would also greatly complicate the installation of the coming RTMT V3.60 Add-On Pack.  RTMT is relatively small (there are single buildings on the exchanges that are much bigger than the whole RTMT package), and DATPacking RTMT will not make any noticeable difference whatsoever in your load times.

dafiden

Quote from: z on August 24, 2009, 11:10:48 PM
It is officially recommended that you do NOT DATPack RTMT, as doing so will disable the current customization features, which are going to be expanded greatly in RTMT V4.  DATPacking RTMT would also greatly complicate the installation of the coming RTMT V3.60 Add-On Pack.  RTMT is relatively small (there are single buildings on the exchanges that are much bigger than the whole RTMT package), and DATPacking RTMT will not make any noticeable difference whatsoever in your load times.

Thank you, Z.  By the way, do you know if it's ok to put RTMT in the SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins base game folder?

z

Yes, it's fine to do that; in fact, that's what I do.  In order not to have to jump all over my file system to access my plugins, I use a junction point so that the game's Plugins folder has a junction point that I cal Plugins Master in the same folder as my personal Plugins folder.  If you know how to use junction points, you might want to consider this; otherwise, don't worry about it.

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

z

You can find the definitive introduction in SC4DatPacker - A pictures guide.  It's a fantastic tool - not only does it speed up load times, but it virtually eliminates the delay when returning from the Zones view (or the new NAM Subway Building view) to the normal view.  Everyone with more than just a few plugins should use it. :)

dafiden

Thanks, Z.  I don't know about junction points, but that's ok.

Driftmaster07, you NEED DATPacker.  It makes SimCity load times super fast; seriously.
Get it here:
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=26
I know it seems a little difficult at first to use, but I wrote some Windows VB Scripts to move the plugins and compressed plugins around automatically before and after using DATPacker.  You can do it manually, or I could send you the scripts if you want.  You'd have to make a manual edit once before running, though, having to do with your my documents path (unless your user name happens to be Dave, hahaha).

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.