• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

[SOLVED] How to run SC4Mapper on Linux

Started by simzebu, January 11, 2013, 04:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simzebu

Wine, by default, uses the Vista/7/8 style of home directories; that is, it uses C:\Users rather than C:\Documents and Settings. But unlike actual Windows, there's no obvious way to change this. This causes a problem for SC4Mapper.

I found out, however, that it's very easy to fix:

1) Open a terminal, and change to that directory (~/.wine/drive_c is most common, it'll be different if you're using CrossOver or something):
cd ~/.wine/drive_c

2) Make a "symlink" pointing from a name that doesn't start with a u to the users folder:
ln -s users home

3) Open up Wine's regedit tool:
wine regedit

4) In the folders on the left, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->Microsoft->Windows NT->ProfileList

5) Change the ProfilesDirectory key from C:\users to C:\home

That's it! Apparently SC4Mapper only checks that one key, so even though there are a few other places that say C:\users, you should be fine. This is why we did a symlink rather than moving the directory; it means we don't have to go hunting down registry keys.

If anyone wants to sticky this, or copy it to another place, feel free. If the developer(s) wants to leverage my Python experience to help fix the underlying problem, that's fine too.
Known as Embolalia in numerous other places.

Penguins, Python, and Programming, oh my!

wouanagaine

Or you can wait 2 or 3 days and get the 2013 version which won't require tweaking anything in your windows installation

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4