• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Diagonal tram-avenue stations

Started by Chrisim, February 22, 2009, 01:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisim

I hope that you do not mind discussing "other" road top mass transit stations than the official "RTMT". I would like to ask for your advice on a problem we are facing when creating a diagonal tram-avenue station. The station seems to work normally (paths, station usage, yellow/green/blue/... traffic indicators are fine, UDI works fine).

However, there is one problem: police and fire brigade cannot pass the station during an emergency. Actually, they stop already one tile before the station (the station lot is marked in orange):

Have you seen such a problem before? Any idea what's going on?

When sending a police car in opposite direction, the problem occurs one tile inside the station. I am wondering whether it is related to the lot itself or to the interaction between TE-lot and NAM puzzle piece. I am quite familiar with both technologies and tried all I can imagine in the last three weeks, but without any progress. Maybe there is a simple solution that I overlook? Or, possibly the problem cannot be solved and we have to accept it. How can I forward you the station for testing?

cogeo

I would really like to take a look.
My email can be found under my avatar.

Chrisim

You have got email  ;)
Thank you for volunteering looking at it.

allan_kuan1992

I've found similar problems with the RTMT by uroncha at the STEX, as their diagonal lots blocked fire brigades.

In one other peculiar case, I had a row of beach lots with TE entrances. There were two roads (side-by-side) that the streets from the beaches were connected to. However the simulator got confused and stopped fire trucks from reaching the intended spot as well.

- Allan Kuan

z

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on February 28, 2009, 02:20:51 PM
I've found similar problems with the RTMT by uroncha at the STEX, as their diagonal lots blocked fire brigades.

I assume you're talking about uroncha's diagonal road lots.  These are standard TE lots, whereas I assume that Chrisim's station is transit enabled only internally, since they're placed between puzzle pieces.  The fact that both stations have the same problem may indicate that it's something fundamental to diagonal transit lots, at least multi-square ones.

I also can't help noticing the similarity to the problem I encountered with my RTMT T-RAM stations, where placing the stations in the "wrong" orientation blocked all traffic.  When I can look at the SFBT stations, the cause of this should be evident.  And it just might have some relevance to the problem discussed here.  (Then again, it might not.  :()

In one other peculiar case, I had a row of beach lots with TE entrances. There were two roads (side-by-side) that the streets from the beaches were connected to. However the simulator got confused and stopped fire trucks from reaching the intended spot as well.

This might also shed some light on the problem.  Could you please post a picture of what you describe, or at least a diagram if a picture's not possible?  Thanks!

z

Quote from: z on February 28, 2009, 06:50:06 PM
I also can't help noticing the similarity to the problem I encountered with my RTMT T-RAM stations, where placing the stations in the "wrong" orientation blocked all traffic.  When I can look at the SFBT stations, the cause of this should be evident.  And it just might have some relevance to the problem discussed here.  (Then again, it might not.  :()

Considering the rather obscure nature of what was causing my problem (the orientation of the non-existent building), along with the fact that this showed up only in certain specific situations, I think there might be a little more evidence for this being involved with Chrisim's problem.  Perhaps the building has to be oriented alternately in alternate tiles, the way the transit enabling is done.  Or perhaps it needs to correspond to the orientation of the textures.  There are several possibilities here that seem to me to be worth checking out.  The fact that in both his problem and mine certain traffic ended up being totally blocked even though all the paths were fine sounds a bit suspicious, and may be more than coincidental.

Chrisim

Yes, the problem is also related to the small non-existing building, but it is more complex. Orientation is one factor, location of the building another factor. Presently I have a version for which police can pass in both directions and fire trucks in one direction only. Only one type - one direction missing. Really strange that it is different for police and fire trucks.
More trial and error until it will work ...

z

Good luck, then.  Please let us know what you find, as we will undoubtedly run into the same problem we we build our diagonal stations.  Thanks!

allan_kuan1992

Ah... is it building orientation?

Can you provide a screenshot of where the building is? It might give us a clue.

- Allan Kuan

SNR1984A

I also have this problem. My fire brigades can't pass through bus-on-road stations  :'(