• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Greater Terran Region

Started by Haljackey, December 28, 2007, 01:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Simply whoa... that thing is amazing. And huge. Nothing more to say.  ;)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

TheChosenOne

Wow! That mosaic is HUGE! O_O
Your cities look so...Urban, and I kinda like that :P
That part of Downtown is one of the best, the buildings have a brilliant effect on the image  :satisfied:
-TheChosenOne

TheTeaCat

Its taken me a while to catch up but what great viewing pleasure it was.
The mosaic is astounding  &apls &apls

Congrats on your awards too

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

bat

That's a fantastic mosaic there! Fantastic work on that part of your nice city! :thumbsup:

Simpson

Wow  :o
This is really super, your transport network is a great source of inspiration for me  :thumbsup:
The city is really good. Looking forward to the next update my friend

Take care

David
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Jonathan

Wow, that's massive HalJackey :o :o :o

Is the monorail that slopes downward at the top of this bit the same as the picture below it?

If it is (which I'm pretty sure it is) that shows how amazingly far the GTR has come &apls

Jonathan

sithlrd98

Quote from: Haljackey on January 18, 2009, 07:45:59 PM
sithlrd98:  Hey, thanks a lot!  More tanks or OSITM?  I'm confused :P.
Either , both...doesn't matter  :P Tanks Tanks Tanks :D
I think I broke my scroll wheel on that mosaic! Oh well, it was worth it! ;D Great job as always &apls

Jayson

kant01

wow! that mosaic was incredible! So many massive buildings in one long stretch :) I love it!

LE0

Leoland coming Spring 2009

sim_link

That's some massive mosaic! Shows of your city really well, looks like a skyscraper jungle! ;D

Haljackey

Replies:

deathtopumpkins:  Hey, thanks a lot!

TheChosenOne:  Yes it is.  Urban?  Hmm, I wonder why?  (Coming from SC4D's best urban MD :P)

TheTeaCat:  That makes since, a lot has happened since you last visited eh?  Glad you enjoyed the mosaic!

bat:  Thanks a lot bat!

Simpson:  Thank you very much!  Glad its a source of inspiration for you!

Warrior:  You would be correct.  That is the same area.  It has come quite a ways, hasn't it?

sithlrd98:  ok, ok, more tanks it is!
-Yep, it was a big one.  Glad you enjoyed it!

kant01:  Yep, a lot of taller buildings in Downtown.  Glad you liked it!

LE0:  Thanks!  I just followed the standard mosaic guidelines, except I kept it going from one side of the city to the other!

sim_link:  Indeed it is!  Its an older city of mine, but it still has similar aspects as the more modern ones eh? 
-I nearly missed your comment as I was updating as you replied!  :P

Update time!

Its time for a little change.  I have decided to further expand the region's urban area, using a tile called "The Landing" as the next victim.  :P

This city is located just north of Terran Settlement, and is mainly covered with water.  I have plans to construct a much needed port and seaside for the coastal front.

City:

Transport (as of now):
-Note:  The RHW network does not show up well on this map.

Let the development begin!  This update will focus on building/upgrading infrastructure before any actual construction takes place.

Picture Information:

NOTICE:  Please Read!

Before I post some pictures of my cities, please know that I strive for the best quality of my images possible.  Every picture from here on-in is not photoshopped in any way, and is taken directly from the game to show you exactly what I see in the game.  The only editing done is converting the .PNG file to .JPEG.

***IMPORTANT***    Also, please know that my pictures are COMPRESSED, and are NOT RESIZED! When you resize a picture, a ton of the image's quality is lost, and is shrunk to comply with SC4D's picture size limits (800x600 STRONGLY recommended for MD's).  Compressing the image retains the quality, but looks terrible when squeezed to comply with site limits.

But, I have found a loophole in this problem.  Each compressed picture displayed will be linked to the actual uncompressed, true image.  All you have to do to view the image in its FULL RESOLUTION (1920x1200) is to simply click on the compressed image displayed in this Mayor's Diary (800x500).  The reason that the images are not 800x600 is because I present my pictures in widescreen (16:10 aspect ratio), making the image much more appealing for the human eye's stereoscopic vision.

If you have any questions or comments about how I display my images, feel free to post a reply.

Pictures
Click on the images for full resolution!  (1920x1200)

You may have seen this curve before in a past update, but here is a zoom-out showing why it needs to curve 90 degrees.

Here is a 3-way interchange that connects various thoroughfares throughout the GTR.  Its outdated, obsolete design will need to be upgraded into something safer and of higher capacity before any development sets into the area.

A new partial-Y interchange has taken its place.  There is almost no need for traffic to connect in the other direction, so it was eliminated to create more space.

The old highway that ran alongside the coast.

The new highway.  It has been upgraded to a RHW-6C and will have new interchanges along its coastal route. 

Another new interchange along the RHW-6C.  This junction will be important for shipping traffic, so it was constructed as a parclo A-4, the highest capacity parclo interchange.

Further north, the highway changes to a RHW-4 as it too needs to make a 90 degree curve along the coast.  Interchanges in this area were built with this in mind, so two half-diamonds were made to take advantage of this setup.

New signage is being added the highway.  It's very modern and easy to read, and looks great on the RHW-6C!
-You can find the new signs on the STEX.  It should be on the first page since its a recent upload.

The coastline is leveled and straightened to prepare for port construction.

Another important junction has been created for shipping traffic.  The east/west avenue that ends here changes to an elevated highway right after it overpasses the RHW-6C to quickly get goods out of the city.

There will be more to come as this city continues to prepare for urban growth.  The next update should focus more on mass-transit and rail placement.

And I have a question for you.  I've been thinking, if the GTR was actually located somewhere on Earth, where would it be?  I'm open to any suggestions!

Best,
-Haljackey

io_bg

Amazing update! &apls The highway interchanges are great.
About your question where is the GTR, I think it should be somewhere in the USA or Canada... I don't know ;D
I'm looking forward to the next update.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

nerdly_dood

You and your highways... $%Grinno$% You really are a master!

I'd have to say that the GTR seems kinda Seattley or Vancouvery... Or perhaps southeast Canada or far northeast USA, like around Maine or Newfoundland?
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

deathtopumpkins

Wow, Hal. I love that new area! And that RHW-6C looks spectacular there. Great interchanges, and I am sure that transport network will serve the population well.  &apls

And I can't wait to see that port!  ;D
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Tarkus

I'd say The Landing here has landed with a bang.  ::)  Those are some fantastic interchanges there as always--I'm particularly fond of the one in Picture #5 there with the RHW-6C.  You've really gotten some mileage out of the Y-Splitters there and created a rather convenient setup for motorists exiting off the freeway.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you do port-wise as well!

-Alex (Tarkus)

metarvo

I suppose that now's the time to get the transit laid out, before all those skyscrapers build in around the highways making expansion difficult.  At least there wont be any "eminent domain" to deal with.  I'm also guilty of laying out the roads first when I start a new city tile, so it's good to know that it's not just me.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

just_a_guy

Wow, the way you use the rhw is truly amazing. Its always nice to see how other people use the rhw to get some ideas. I'm sure the port will look just as great.
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

Haljackey

Hello everyone, no new update today, but I do have some news to share with you.

I recently stumbled upon this thread, as some of you may already know, and asked myself a question. "If the GTR was located on Earth, where would it be?" .  Some of you have already given suggestions, and I am thankful for those.

However, I have been contemplating that, if the GTR wasn't fictional, what would be the best spot on Earth to call home.  I took a total disregard for the political map of the earth (namely countries, cultures and lifestyles) and focused on the physical geography of our planet.

The GTR needs to be in a location that...
-Has a temperate climate
-Has a eastern coastline (can be either fresh or salt water)
-Has flat land near the coast, becoming more rugged as you head inland
-Physical appearance looks something like the region itself (many CJs are created on continents/islands but have a different shape than what's really there)
-A good amount of rainfall (not a desert, but not a rainforest)
-Good economic access (natural resources, near international shipping lanes, etc)
-Other various aspects

Based on this information, I may have found a suitable home for the GTR:

What do you think?  Remember, don't factor in political or national influences.  This is southeastern South America, not eastern Argentina.

This is not a finalized location. I am open to any and all suggestions you have for me.  As long as it fits into some or all of the guidelines above, I will consider it.

In addition to this, I have begun to make a RHW Interchange Guide, which should prove useful to newcomers and veterans alike.  Check it out if you want to see some examples on how to make various RHW interchanges in SC4.

I'll get back to your wonderful comments the next time I update.  See you later!

All the best,
-Haljackey

Haljackey

All right, after many discussions I've had across the SC4 community, another possible location could harbor the GTR quite nicely.

What do you think?  I'm still open to any suggestions, as long as they fit the criteria I noted in my last post.

This is kinda fun!  Soon, the GTR will have a home.

Best,
-Haljackey

LE0

Does it snow in GTR?
Leoland coming Spring 2009