• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Greater Terran Region

Started by Haljackey, December 28, 2007, 01:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeST

great vid Hal once again, tho I dont believe the darkness was that good hehehe

once again the choice of music was great :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

MandelSoft

Suberb video, bravo  &apls! I see that you use a lot of types of different singage  ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

Replies:

JoeST:  I am glad you enjoyed the video!  Sorry about the darkness, I learned my lesson about using the darker night time mod in videos!  It may work in well-lit urban areas, but not in the darker rural parts.
-Happy to hear you liked the music again!

mrtnrln:  Hey, thanks a lot!  I use whatever signage looks good. 

Update Time!

Not a huge update today, but an interesting one to say the least.  This update showcases how cities in the Greater Terran Region are not just 100% skyscrapers, but include a lot of forested areas and open areas.  This city was once a forest, and the mayor respects the need for preservation.  You will also see some ongoing development in this update as well.

Pictures
Click the images for full resolution!  See my picture information section on the first update of this page for more info.

The new east-west highway you see in this photo was built adjacent to a protected forest.  Multiple overpasses will keep traffic moving while the forest floor remains untouched.

Looking at a new roundabout intersection in the outsets of town.  This connection allows different road alignments to come together and create a more efficient road system.

Some new zones have been laid near the coast.  The trees along the coast have not been removed to hold in the soil, preventing landslides.  A seawall could also do this, but it is much more expensive and takes away from the natural beauty of the area.

A look at an important highway junction.  The wide median preserves the forest and another northbound lane starts here, increasing the highway's capacity.

A new T-interchange along the coast.  This will aid traffic congestion in the area which has increased steadily over the years.

The terminus of the new east-west highway ends here at this intersection.  Although large, it respects the forest around it.

An overview of the western industrial area.  The RHW constructed in the protected corridor along the edge of the area aids truck traffic exit the city.

Lastly, a development photo near the new transit station.

I hope you enjoyed this update!

For all you Americans out there, Happy Independence Day!  Enjoy your holiday!

Best,
-Haljackey

The_Hutt

That's a nice transit layout you've got there. I really like that first picture with the smooth curves - it's very realistic. Good use of highways as well. Overall it looks great!

JoeST

Hey hal, nice pics, and thanks for the info about your picture things, didnt see it before :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Haljackey

Replies:

The_Hutt: Great to see ya here!  I am glad you are liking the highways and the smooth curves!

JoeST:  Thanks!  Glad you get the pictures thing!

Update Time!

A variable update, this will show the different happenings throughout The Greater Terran Region.  Urban meets rural, old meets new, you know, that sort of thing.

Pictures
Click the images for full resolution! (1920x1200)  See my picture information section on the first update of this page for more info.

An overview of Terran Settlement's eastern industrial area. 

A look at the CBD south of the river:

A new park has been made near the ending of the rail viaduct.

The urban/rural junction of a highway in the outskirts of town. 

Inside a rural highway interchange:

In the Western part of the GTR, a series of driving ranges have been built along a cove. 
-"Hey, I betcha $50 I can hit it over the highway!  Any takers?"

A look at city layouts I did when I was new to the game.  This is in some of the oldest parts of the GTR.

But some of my older work is still cool.  Check out this dual highway river crossing:
-Older image.  Picture is only 1440x900 instead of 1920x1200.  Sorry about that!

Anyways, that does it for now!  I hope you enjoyed it!

Best,
-Haljackey

CasperVg

Looks great, you did a great job! Interesting residential design you did earlier.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

bat

Some fantastic updates there! And the video in the update of the first July is also fantastic!
Great work here on your MD! :thumbsup:

MandelSoft

I like some old stuff, Hal! Great update!

south park

your update is superb ,great work and i am impatient to see your future update !! :) :thumbsup:
cairo and tropicalia (my cities) on tsc:
http://toutsimcity.com/forums.php?viewthread=441267

Haljackey

Replies:

caspervg:  Thanks!  Yes, my city design is much different than it was way back then, but the essence remains the same.  Good development = good infrastructure, parks, and services!

bat:  Hey, thanks a lot!  Glad you liked the video!   :thumbsup:

mrtnrln:  You liked that old stuff?  How are you enjoying my archives page?  Thanks for the comment!

south park:  Wow, thanks a ton!  I hope the next update won't disappoint!

Update Time!

It is time to take a tour of Escape.  Located in the extreme east section of The Greater Terran Region (which is mainly covered by water), Escape was, at the time, the only way to cross this vast body.  Today, several bridges span this body, which has really benefited inter-regional traffic. 

City:

Transport:

Residential Population:  891,175
Commercial Population:  440,871
Industrial Population:  1,441

The city of Escape comprises of three distinct districts.  One district, in the city's northwest, is on the other side of the water and acts like a borough to the city of Crossings directly west.  It is a dense, rich area full of water and greenery.  An old-school RHW and a bullet train line connect this area with the rest of Escape.
-The second area, north of the river, is considered the main city.  Home to a number of highways and rail lines, this district is always bustling with traffic.
-The third district is the newest section of the city.  Located in the city's south, it serves as a CBD and a important junction for traffic crossing the region's oldest, longest and largest bridge. 

Although the area between these districts is mainly undeveloped, it connects the city together and is home to a number of ports and marinas.  Once development happens here, the entire city will become whole.

Pictures
Click the images for full resolution!  (1920x1200)  See my picture information section on the first update of this page for more info.

Let's begin with this image.  Located in the main part of the city, this interchange sees a lot of connecting traffic.

This tight corridor carries a major highway and bullet train line through the city.

The land value in the city's northwest is so high that only the high-class can afford to live here!

Looking slightly north from the last photo, we see an old-school RHW expressway.  This connects with the main city to the east and Crossings to the west.  If you continue further west, this highway directly reaches Crossings International Airport.

A classic shot of the old RHW.

The riverfront in Escape:

This cloverleaf was among the first interchanges to be built in Escape.  Today, it is a major cause of gridlock for the city's highways.  Sometimes, during rush hour, the loop ramps completely fill up with traffic in all directions, causing intense weaving among the congestion.

Downtown Escape:

Residential quadrant:

And I will leave you with this photo of the Mar Sara Bridge.  This 12 lane double suspension monster also boasts a bullet train line in the centre.  It is The Greater Terran Region's longest, largest, and oldest bridge.

I hope these 10 images are enough for now.  I will have more from Escape for the next update!  See you later! 

Best,
-Haljackey

Tarkus

Wow . . . that RHW there really is old school.  I see you're having fun with the old Version 13 Legacy File. :D  I particularly like that Avenue bridge there on the waterfront shot . . . the slope leading up to it is just so smooth.  That Mar Sara Bridge is a real monster, too.  Very creative infrastructure usage as always, Hal! :thumbsup:

-Alex (Tarkus)

deathtopumpkins

I don't believe I've commented here yet, but this is a fantastic update.  :thumbsup:
I love it all! But, shockingly, I do have one suggestion. On the riverfront shot, I wouldn't have put the grass along the avenue. I think it would have looked best just left as regular terrain.

That bridge... People actually use it???  :o
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

MandelSoft

I thougt no-one was using that old RHW, but I was wrong. Nice update, Hal! I like to see your older city (Which is more massive than any other city I've built).

amapper

Impressive transportation system you've built.  :thumbsup: I've been meaning to ask someone: what are those avenue pieces?

Zaphod

Epic as usual..actually maybe a little too epic, the images slowed down firefox. maybe though it's because I had youtube tabbed(listening to music, Phil Collins).

I love the big bridge, What is traffic like on it? I noticed you had HSR but what about freight trains? But we all know that Terran is all about those uber freeways
War Kittens !?

Haljackey

Replies:

Tarkus:  Yep, its an oldie!  It could use some upgrades to its surface and some smooth curves  :P
-Glad you like the bridges in this city!  Yes Mar Sara is a mammoth!

deathtopumpkins:  You are correct, this would be your first.  I agree with your suggestion too.  This is an older city, and it is in need of a makeover in some places like that texture.  Heck, its highways are in dire need too with its sharp curves and wearing surface.
-And yes, people actually use the bridge.  It is the most direct connection to the city of Crossings to the west, the oldest city in The Greater Terran Region.  Here is a region picture of the massive bridge complex crossing the Terran Basin:
(Sorry about the texture problems.  I am trying to fix those!)

mrtnrln:  I guess you were wrong.  However, I would like to upgrade this busy, outdated stretch of RHW sometime.  This is the first time I've shown a older city, and my plans may include upgrading some of its features.

amapper:  Hey, thanks a lot! 
-About those ave pieces you are mentioning, are you referring to the avenue Y-stack?  It is a puzzle piece located in the avenue roundabouts thumb.  Press "tab" multiple times until you find the piece.

Zaphod:  Great to see you here!  Sorry about the load times!  We are on a new page now, so that should help with the rather "epic" load times. 
-Traffic on the big bridge is actually quite good.  However, traffic will increase as the population on the east end (this city) grows and commutes to the jobs on the west end (The city of Crossings.)
-There is a bullet train line in the middle of this monster.  Rail lines are part of a deep subway network that burrow below the basin.  There are also further rail connections in other areas in the region.

Update Time!

Now that you have taken a tour of Escape and have a "feel" of it, allow me showcase different areas of the city!  The three districts each have a distinct aspect to them, making them unique among one-another.

Pictures
Click the images for full resolution! (1920x1200)

An upper-class area in the northern part of the city.  A small causeway provides access westward toward the basin while the highway interchange connects the area north and east.

Here we see a large hospital and a tight diagonal highway.  If you look closely you can also see a bikepath!

Repetition at its finest   $%Grinno$%.  I need to fix this "wall" of buildings.

An old monorail makes its way through the CBD in the eastern part of town.  Virtually all (99%+) of The Greater Terran Region's monorails have been replaced with bullet train networks, but this monorail which heads to the river is an exception. 

A solar farm.  The building next to the farm has a very reflective east side so it doesn't shadow the panels.

A HOV road makes it through a museum.

The open area between the city districts mainly contains arteries and infrastructure that connect the two together. 

Looking at the basin now.  It has shown to be a great place for boating.

Approaching the southern CBD.

I am ending with a picture of the Mar Sara Bridge once again.  The suspension bridge ends as it exits the city, and a double causeway starts as it enters the city to the west.

I hope you enjoyed the update!

Best,
-Haljackey

deathtopumpkins

*whistles* That's an impressive region shot ('cept for the glitches) Looks like you're missing a few dependencies too!
Nice use of that funky ortho/diag interchange too.
The wall of buildings looks... umm... weird? They all fit together snugly. I bet they have to turn on the lights on that avenue when the sun's behind those buildings though!

And interesting museum!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

MandelSoft

WOW! In region view you really see the enourmous size of the GTR!  Impressive &apls

bat

Fantastic overview there of your region! Great work on it!

And your update is fantastic, too! The shots are looking great!! :thumbsup: