• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3775

After not playing the game in 6 months or so, or even paying attention to anything SC4 related, to come back and see threads like this project makes me very happy and wants to get me get back into playing the game again.  The NAM team has really made SC4 way better than the actual game creators envisioned, and makes the game way better than originally envisioned as well.

Time to go re-install the game and download about 6-7 months of plugins and lots as well  :)

Nego

:D &apls Amazing! Simply amazing!!! &apls  :D

By the way, could you try something like this:

minus the text?

Remember, only a suggestion, not a demand.

danielra96

i agree with nego
a setup like that is common in the U.S.

Korot

If I remember correctly, a slip ramp has already been made. Not sure about the dashed line though, I think it hasn't been made yet.

Regards,
Korot

awake_78

Korot

Without traffic lights? No, that would be to dangerous.
With Traffic lights: Probably, but I think that the rulling might take some time.

Regards,
Korot

awake_78

Quote from: Korot on February 10, 2010, 10:17:51 AM
Without traffic lights? No, that would be to dangerous.
With Traffic lights: Probably, but I think that the rulling might take some time.

Regards,
Korot

Defenitelly with traffic lights... but I think it might have small delay because traffic lights should be only for straight directions... The slip lanes are free and faster....

j-dub

That looks like its just a one way crossing another one way, so a stop sign could work on one side. This is a similar setup to the diverging diamond avenue piece. If everyone stays in their lanes, no problem. Just get off the cell phone/stop texting!

As for Nego, similar setups are in development. Aside from slip lanes, avenues and roads should have those arrow lane markings, as for the dashed line on the intersection, that still has to be developed, although if that were to be visible on the texture, especially preview textures, this would be easier for placing the proper piece, otherwise you have to do it again. The thing is Tarkus is really the core of this project, and already has much on his plate as it is, in addition to RL, so there are some good ideas, but whatever will happen, will just have to be taken the way it is.

Tarkus

As far as Nego's request goes, it's possible, but it'll be awhile before we get to something like that.  Since the Avenue is losing an outer lane on one side, there are some intersection geometry issues to work out with the opposite side of the intersection. 

Also, since the eventual planned set of TuLEPs is going to require a borderline ridiculously large number of intersection puzzle pieces, in order for the project to remain feasible, it'll be necessary to keep the number of required textures down.  Adding white dashed lines through the intersections, while it may add some measure of realism, is going to take some rather clever implementation to pull off without drowning in extra textures that could be otherwise avoided.

As far as awake_78's request, it looks quite reasonable--it'll still be a little while before we get to that point, however. 

The first release of TuLEPs will actually be quite small, and only consist of a few basic pieces to cover the main bases (i.e. the setups that are possible with the existing RTL and ATL Plugins, maybe a few more).  At this point, I'd like to look at offering a basic "core" set that is bundled with the NAM Core that covers the basic users' needs, and perhaps an "Advanced TuLEPs" package offered separately for those who really want to "pull out the stops", though I still need to figure out the logistics of the TAB Loops necessary (and if that will even be a workable solution). 

-Alex

nerdly_dood

I think Nego's request would be best done for either an avenue x avenue T intersection, or an avenue x avenue x road intersection like this (and yes I know I'm missing some lines and arrows and whatnot, but still you get the idea...)

Usually if there's only one through lane, there's only one lane on the other side to go into, which is why I suggest this setup. If there are two lanes on the other side, there is usually a right-turn lane - sometimes a slip lane, sometimes not - two through lanes, and one or two left-turn lanes.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Tarkus

This is actually what I had in mind geometry-wise.  This is more what I'm used to seeing at these sorts of intersections--my inspiration can be found here.  The pieces that exist are shown in blue, and the ones that would have to be made are shown in red.

The "Road Type D" at the right end is compressed/out-of-scale from how it'll probably end up actually looking.  I may end up having to create some other type to really pull that off in limited space, but it'll flare out to 2 tiles just before the intersection for certain.

-Alex

j-dub

Omg, this looks like some difficult coding, then pathing, then texturing, but only you could do it. This intersection looks like it would have to be 2x2. The left turn lane, and opposing lane look like they would be on the bottom tile, the main road, the straight lanes appear to be on the top tile, and off the picture, transition back to the road tile off screen. I can also see the transition the other direction where the main road comes in top on the top of that intersection, which looks like more work then mirroring transitions. Either way this is pretty major. Only you could pull it off Alex.

Nego

Very interesting. :)

I also designed an intersection for this slip ramp design below. This may help with the geometric problem.

It makes use of the already existing avenue left turn intersection included in the June 2009 NAM update and addes the slip ramps. It could also be modified for more or less slip ramps. Here are some traffic flow arrows:

I know that it is very complex and will require some tweaking; plus, changes in the layout are possible, too. I also know that this will definitely not be in the first release, but it is something to look forward to in the future. Anyone who wants to pitch in with the design is welcome to. ;)

Also, Tarkus what puzzle pieces have you currently made so we can pitch-in  with some new, simple designs.

Thanks

j-dub

Nego, it looks like you seriously spent some time on those diagrams there, however Alex is more ahead with 4 way avenue TuLEP designs then you may know. There are some safety issues with the math on this intersection though, but you will be pleased to know setups similar to this will be more possible then you think. Alex also has made a bunch of arrow configuration setup avenue pieces so far, but yes I do admit, we still have yet to see the style:

<-. | ^.->
      ::  | :
ONLY|  :  | ONLY

-made for the avenues.

ecoba

Some intriguing designs coming along here. Hope to see some more work soon!

Ethan

imperialmog

It looks like situations where a road goes from 4 to 2 lanes at an intersection are being done. I figured a T intersection where the lower end and one of the arms are 4 lanes and the other arm is 2 lanes are being planned. I saw this where I went to University, look on Google Earth at 37deg 57'18.70''N 91deg 46'37.39''W. Interesting note is that the Interstate exit just west has the NW exit is now a 5 way roundabout intersection. Also this intersection location has on the same sign directions for an Interstate(44), Interstate business route(bus. 44), US route(63), state route (72),and  secondary state route (E)on the same pole.

Also note the intersection was a 4way until 2005 when the west side was widened and decided to close the road into the university.

MattyFo

Quote from: imperialmog on February 20, 2010, 01:59:06 AM
...... look on Google Earth at 37deg 57'18.70''N 91deg 46'37.39''W. ......

I would check those coordinates again, I copy and pasted into google earth and it took me a few clicks off the coast of Antarctica. ???  Surely you did not atend University there!! :D

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

emgmod

When I googled it, I got the Missouri University of Science and Technology.

The configuration seems like a good idea to me.

imperialmog

Quote from: emgmod on February 20, 2010, 11:00:45 AM
When I googled it, I got the Missouri University of Science and Technology.

The configuration seems like a good idea to me.

What is interesting is how some of the roads are setup now since the time of the posting. As mentioned there is a roundabout at the one exit. Also there are Auxillary lanes on the interstate from the exit west of the intersection posted to the next exit to the east. The design of the roads was set up to where traffic is urged to make the left going north on 63, then get on 44 east and rejoin 63 on the following exit. This is so they don't have to deal with road widening on the section bypassed and the roundabout was made so they don't have to replace the one bridge yet and due to the intersection geometry. Interesting was the use in the University grounds of the older better resolution pictures as opposed to newer but less clear pictures everywhere else, the cuts between the two are rather amusing going around certain buildings which are part of the university, which actually helped design the road layouts due to having a civil engineering department.

rstarks

i was wondering, is it possible  for you guys to insert a slip road for left hand turns [ im an american, so  for you other guys thats a right handed turn i guess] that instead of interfacing with traffic, goes  under or over the road onto the opposing streets traffic. I can do this currently with nam elevated pieces and the flup but it looks awkward and clumsy. i suggested this ideal because if would make commute times better [ hypothetically speaking, not having to stop to make left handed turns]. i'll post a picture of what i mean in a few minutes.

[note: the middle lane is the actually slip lane that started two tiles before the picture]
[additional note: i included side ( right ) slip lanes for cosmetic purposes, but in my cities i usually turn right on red [ obeying Michigan traffic laws]