• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Covington - Update 61 "Chestnut Hills and South River Bend"

Started by JBSimio, March 31, 2008, 07:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

Yes! The scenic train tour has taken off (wait... it's gained traction. Yeah, that's better for a train) and the route looks like an amazing one. I don't know if they sell annual passes, but maybe you could chat with the owner or something. Your farms are always impressive, but I thought I saw one (around 25.3) where the grape vines had grown over the road. Heckuva crop, it should make a fine wine. Pics like 25.5 remind me of when I was in northern Kentucky not too long ago. Never got out to the small towns or countryside, but I remember some quiet tree-lined sidestreets with tiny houses like that. All that's missing is a small wisp of smoke leading from some of the chimnies. 25.12 is a neat little pic, and what caught my eye were the houses surrounding the roundabout on the left. I've always tried to get those to have the rounded look that you achieved there. I think it's the lot on the left that appears to extend from the right side of the roundabout (where the house on the outer corner actually angles to face the cul de sac). Fine station for the ride to finish at. I've already seen Batman (though seeing it again wouldn't be bad) but I might grab that Slurpee and join you at the pub if that's all right. Celebration Square looks like an interesting place to go next, especially from the region pic, but I think I'll vote for Holden Ridge for the next update. Hope things are slowing down for you so you can enjoy Christmas and all with your family and friends. Take it easy.
-Matt

JBSimio

Jmeyers:  Thank you for stopping in!  The Christmas tune is catchy... and a bit long ;)... but that is still one of my favorite farm lots.  Especially the main barn setup and the surrounding two tracks.  That train station is the BLS_JENX_Passenger Station... I'm not sure if it's on the LEX or not, but I got it off of the DVD.

Jon:  Thank you for your vote!  I sent you a PM in regards to your university problems... are they fixed now or didn't that help?  I also really like that hospital a lot... it's a nice historic building (who knew I was into those?) all around.

Projectadam:  Thank you for you kind words and your vote!

Bat:  Thanks as always my friend!

Arthur:  Thank you as well my friend!

Dandan:  Thank you!  There are always stories to go with everything here!  ;)

Paul:  Thanks so much!  I thought it was about time I lived up to the reputation I apparently have...  ::)

Dandan:  Well you certainly know your trains better than I do... :D

Matt:  Thank you for so many comments!  I knew you would appreciate the train ride (finally!)  It certainly was a good year for grapes this season... I'll bring a couple bottles down next time I'm in your part of the state.  Northern Kentucky has some beautiful areas, so that might be the ultimate compliment there!  Anything in here that truly reminds someone of the south east is a good moment for me.  By all means, feel free to meet us at the "Schinn"... Paul and I are liable to be there for a while.  :D  Things will slow to a crawl after tomorrow... so I'll be flying back to Michigan next week for a holiday visit.

Thank you to those who have voted so far.  Since we switched pages, I just want to keep this visible for everyone...

You Pick the Update!!!

That's right!  You all get to choose where we go next!  I'll continue to take your votes for another 20 hours or so... roughly 4PM Pacific Standard Time or whenever I get home from work! :D  After that, I'll start putting things together for whichever one gets the most requests... and that will be tomorrow's update!  So please... let me know what you want to see.  Here's where we stand at the moment (I'll probably update this a couple times as the votes change... *EDIT - updated through Alexr19's vote)

Celebration Square - 4

Holden Ridge - 3

The Barrens - 1

See you tomorrow!
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

spa

Hey JB. I have really been enjoying this journal, even if I don't always comment :) I would like to see Holden Ridge next if you're taking votes.

bat

Nice work on that map! And I'm looking forward to the Celebration Square, which I'm voting for, (or the other two places)... ;)

dandan 777

If I leave anouther vote fore holden ridge will it still count even though I've voted before?  :P

alexr19

Great updates! I just got caught up from way back at page 14. 

Oh, and I vote Celebration Square.

Zaphod

I'm sorry I never come around here to post.

The train tour reminds me of a trip I took once from Austin to Burnet, TX on something called the "Austin Steam Train", which runs on a lightly used branch line that is used to haul granite and crushed stone from the same quarry that 100 years ago supplied the stone to build the Texas State Capitol building. There are also commuter trains now but not on a the segment the freights normally use.

Unfortunately the actual steam locomotive was all but destroyed in the infamous 1996? Jarrell Tornado, so we were pulled by a modern diesel. It was still awesome though, our group rented out the caboose, which was extremely cool. On the approach to Cedar Park we hung out on the railings on the side of the car.

Your region is pretty much epic, how many hours do you think youve put into this thing? Maybe we should pay you for a 40 hour week to work on that thing...
War Kittens !?

TheTeaCat

Jon

Sorry for my absence (RL and all its trials etc) but some fabulous stuff you have accomplished lately &apls
Your recent updates are just wikked mate. Love the papers and all the detail in the stories.As for the train tour I can see myself sitting back sipping a cuppa watching the world go by the train window as we head towards town ;D

Enjoy the rest of the OSITM mate - you deserve it &apls

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

bakerton

I got the PM and it worked. I am looking forward to the next update. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

dandan 777

Oh and how come you never showed the finished product of the convention center? All I saw was the construction.  :( :'(

phoenix7

Celebration Square and Holden Ridge are near each other, why not do both. If I have to vote for one, I choose Holden Ridge BTW.

JBSimio

Spa:  Thank you, my good friend!  Enjoy all you want, a little hello from time to time is enough for me!  ;)  Thank you for your vote!

Bat:  Thank you for your rather indecisive vote!  :D

Dandan:  Ummm... sorry, but no.  This is North Carolina, not Florida!  :D

Alexr19:  Thank you!  Sorry you had so much catching up to do, but I'm definitely glad you could find the time to do it in.  Welcome to Covington, by the way!

Zaphod:  Thanks for stopping in!  That sounds like an excellent train ride... I'll have to look into that next time I'm in Texas.  I don't even want to think of how many hours I've spent on this region so far!  :D  I can say that a medium sized farming tile has taken me anywhere from 3-6 hours start to finish... and that's if it doesn't have a significant village thrown in the middle somewhere.  I spent nearly 3 hours just organizing this update!  ;)

Derry:  So nice to see you again, my friend!  Thank you so much for your kind words!

Jon:  Excellent... I'm glad it was an easy fix then.

Dandan:  That's probably because it's still under construction... ;)  Not to worry, we'll certainly be downtown when it opens!

Phoenix:  I didn't want to do both at once because it would make for an extremely long update.  Unfortunately, I was in the game taking pictures by the time you voted so I didn't see your post until after the winner was chosen.  Thank you for participating though and I hope to see you back soon!

Update Time!!!

To Celebration Square we go...

I'm not entirely sure why the civic leaders chose to call this area a square, given the fact that it doesn't really fit any of the criteria for being a square.  Regardless of the name, or how it came about (which we'll actually get to later), this large public area has a variety of different things to offer the citizens of Covington.  Made up of a series of parks, museums, and recreation facilities, Celebration Square was actually a bit of an urban renewal project taken on by the city in the early 1970's.  Bordered by Benjamin Parkway and Holden Road, the area used to be an unsightly mix of dilapidated warehouses, questionable businesses, and a couple shoddy trailer parks.  The city originally acquired the land when preparing for Washington High School (which sits east just to the right of this picture) in 1967, but development of the park was delayed for years while leaders argued over just what to do with the property.

The centerpiece of Celebration Square is the Museum of Fine Arts on Benjamin Parkway.  The building houses numerous exhibit galleries drawing artists and sculptors from around the world.  At the back of the building is a moderately sized concert hall that is home to the Covington Philharmonic Orchestra as well as an amateur theater company called The Hollywood Hopefuls.  The hall is also a popular venue for any number of smaller stage acts... recent shows have included Jeff Dunham, The Blue Man Group, and a great little Canadian band called The Weakerthans.  Gathering alcoves outside the main concert hall provide very nice views over Washington Pond.

Just around the curve on Benjamin Parkway is the Washington Heights Library.  While this is officially just a branch of the Covington Public Library system, it houses a collection that could rival many "main libraries."  The outdoor waterfall is actually a continuation of a very impressive fountain inside the main lobby.  The waterfall also seems to be a constant source of wonder to winter visitors from up north.  (These visitors are fondly referred to as "snow birds" by most of the people that give southern hospitality a good name.  They're rather unfondly referred to as "them there Yankees with their jaws draggin again" by everyone else.)

Continuing around the perimeter of Celebration Square, we next come to the Covington Historical Museum on Holden Road at the northwest corner of the park.  The exhibits here chronicle the history of the entire Piedmont region with a variety of different displays and interactive areas.  The railroading exhibit is always a big hit with its huge HO scale recreation of select portions of the local system.  There is also an amazing photo gallery with historic views of the area that we should really investigate further.  We'll have to come back to that another time, though as there is still a lot to do and see here.

Just south of the historic museum on Holden Road is the GoobrGen Aquarium.  Sitting at the edge of the hill and overlooking the pond and the fine arts museum, this is possibly one of the best views in Celebration Square.  The aquarium itself brings the Atlantic Ocean inland to Covington and makes for a very educational field trip for almost every local school district in the area.

Celebration Square isn't just a collection of educational and cultural buildings.  It also doubles as a very popular recreational park.  Just below the aquarium, for example, you can rent paddle boats and take them out on Washington Pond.  This is probably as good a place as any to mention that Washington Pond is actually a backup reservoir for Covington's water supply.  As the city grew and expanded, the need for a large emergency water supply started becoming a major issue.  The problem was solved when work began on Celebration Square and city leaders decided to construct the reservoir masked as a recreational pond.  (Kind of sneaky... but, I've got to hand it to them, it's really quite brilliant if you ask me!)

Just outside the aquarium is another good example of the forethought used when designing this park.  They put a little ice cream shop right off the main parking lot knowing that parents (or field trip chaperones for that matter) would ultimately break down and buy the children a cone rather than listen to the inevitable temper tantrums.  (Again... brilliant!)  A large fountain welcomes those using the park's major entries from Holden Road.  The paths meander past a carousel and through numerous flower gardens as we begin working our way back around the southern end of the pond.

Celebration Square isn't just here for the school children.  This restaurant serves some of the best prime rib and lobster you'll find anywhere in Covington.  Still high on the ridge, it offers spectacular views overlooking the pond.  Just past Jimmy's Spitfire Grille is a plaza with open air vendors selling everything from local souvenirs to locally grown produce.

About halfway down the hill is the Deadwood Amphitheater.  This small outdoor stage hosts everything from children's plays (often from the summer reading program at the library) to individual performance artists, like the self-named "Washington Mime."  Summers really pack this outdoor theater with events like the week-long Commonground Music Festival (an eclectic mix of classic rock and newer alternative rock genres) and the Covington Jamboree (a three day country music concert with anywhere from 10-16 different performers).  I'm not sure what's playing right now, but let's go down and take a look...

I guess I didn't realize how late it was getting when we sat down there.  I'd suggest a nice dinner at Jimmy's Spitfire Grille before we finally call it a day.  They also do a great pasta alfredo here if you're not into the prime rib or lobster.  I also forgot to point out the monument down by the pond earlier.  The large brass eagle was added to the landscape just before the park was completed and opened in 1976.  It was actually sort of a last minute addition when officials realized that the grand opening coincided with the nation's bicentennial.  That little fluke in timing (the park actually opened 17 months behind schedule) also gave birth to the name "Celebration" Square... although I still don't understand the square half of the name.

See?  I told you the view from this restaurant was impressive, didn't I?

As we leave Celebration Square, we'll head back towards downtown along Benjamin Parkway.  I wonder what all those people are still standing around Washington High School for...  Anyway, speaking of how things got their names, Benjamin Parkway was also renamed because of Celebration Square.  Originally labeled simply as Benjamin Avenue, the name was changed to reflect the fact that the road travels from Celebration Square to Memorial Cemetery downtown.  The two large public, and very park like, areas are much like bookends to this busy corridor.

Be sure to look off to the left as we go past Peace Lutheran Church and School.  I've just always loved the way this place looks at night.  I hope you enjoyed the day at Celebration Square...

Thanks for reading!!!
JB

PS... Since it was a close second and nearly a tie, here's a teaser from the western border of Holden Ridge  ;)

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

payce2tw

Nicely derivative! I always wondered what happened to Jimmy's Spitfire Grille. You're right the cook there makes an awesome pasta alfredo.

spa

Nice job JB. It makes me think of those massive urban parks that were popular back in the early part of the last century. Golden Gate Park in San Francisco comes to mind since it's a park and a collection of cultural institutions all in one.

Haljackey

Wow, celebration square looks fantastic!  (Even though its not really a square  :P)

I also really like your museums!  They look great the way you placed them.

Awesome update JBSimio!  I'm glad I looked!

Best,
-Haljackey

paroch

Hey JB, Celebration Square really is something special - definitely worth celebrating, for sure.

And I really like the narrative you've written to go with it - it all makes perfect sense and could be taken from the pages of the local historical society.

You've also included some great lots that I've not seen before and the night shots certainly showed off those Bats as well.

I'm glad Celebration Square won the vote - although I have a feeling Holden Ridge will have its own delights.

All the best

Paul

TheTeaCat

I like odd shaped squares  :D ::)

And Celebration Square is no exception. Excellent placing of the Buildings which gives the area
such a charm :thumbsup:
Great story to go with it too, gives life to the area - very nicely done :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing Holden Ridge especially from that teaser ;D

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

dandan 777

$%Grinno$% Ha ha ha that joke back there was just so funny I had to laugh, I say unauthenticly. Well I hope the convention center it finishes soon or you will have to suffer the horrable death known as my sisters room.  &cry2 oh no! Teehee  ::)

JBSimio

Mom:  Thanks!  I figured since I part owned the place at one time... I had every right to bring it here with me.  ;)  Does that mean you've chosen what I'll be cooking next week?  :D

Spa:  Thank you!  I haven't had a chance to spend any time at Golden Gate Park yet, although I go through it every time I'm on my way to or from the airport.  It looks to be an amazing place and it's definitely near the top of my list of places to visit when I get the chance to start exploring SF.

Haljackey:  Thank you!  I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Paul:  Thanks!  I usually enjoy writing the narratives as much as any other part of the process.  Most of the lots in Celebration Square are BSC Parks... the various museums come from SimGoober and Newman, Inc. for the most part.  I think they're all included on the DVD in the education section if you're looking for them.

Derry:  Thank you!  I figure the story is the best way to bring the whole city to life... the pictures only do so much unless there is some background to go with them.  At least that's my take on it, anyway... :D

Dandan:  Umm... I'm not sure which joke I made, but I don't think I know your family well enough to be visiting anybody's room!  :D  I've honestly kind of gotten stuck on the convention center... I thought I knew how I wanted it to look, but I just haven't gotten the results I was hoping for so far.  So I keep plugging away at it when I feel the spirit move me...

Update Time!!!

It was pointed out that Holden Ridge is very close to where we already are... so it makes quite a bit of sense to go there next.  We'll just turn south on Aycock Street and head down that way.

Here's a map if you'd like to follow along.  Holden Ridge is a large wedge shaped neighborhood that extends southwest from downtown.  It is one of the easiest neighborhoods to define in that it is bordered on all sides by major surface arteries... those being Market Street, Holden Road, and High Point Road.  Holden Ridge is mostly an older single family residential area, although the face of the area is constantly changing due to the influences of bordering areas.

Here we are heading south on Aycock Street and just crossing over Market Street.  Market Street is lined with shops beginning downtown already and extending out nearly the entire length of the street.  We cross over the main rail line just after the termination of Lee Street.

Before we actually get into the residential areas of Holden Ridge, we need to pass through one of those competing influences I mentioned earlier.  This industrial park has anchored the area around Aycock Street and along the railroad for time out of mind. It continues to grow and upgrade as it expands.  Several blocks of older homes have already been swallowed up by the influx of cleaner industries here.

Just east of the industrial park is where the neighborhood starts to take shape.  This section of Holden Ridge just south of the railroad tracks is part of the oldest portion of the neighborhood.  Extending east towards downtown, the houses here are very similar to those found across Market Street in the Benjamin Parkway Historic District.

Moving further east along Market Street and the railroad line, the houses continue to be very well kept along the north side of the neighborhood.  This area would probably be just as desirable as the historic district had it been protected.  However, you can see here that some newer houses have snuck into even this well established part of the neighborhood... a trend that will only become more noticable as we continue on.

Here you can see the eastern end of the neighborhood.  Lee Street and High Point Road come together near the bottom of this picture and Market Street can be seen along the right edge.  With the beginning of High Point Road we can see the start of another long commercial strip that adds to the pressures squeezing Holden Ridge.

Heading back out High Point Road, the commercial strip really begins to take over the frontage of this busy avenue.  The houses also begin to get slightly more mixed in style and size as we move further out.  The bus system seems to be pretty popular in this area too, doesn't it?

Further out High Point Road, the changes in housing really start to become noticable.  Across High Point Road from here is Wheaton Hills, just to give a better sense of how far from downtown we're starting to get.  The commercial strip is growing larger and this is no longer the ideal quiet or peaceful place it once was.  Despite the noise, many houses here have remained pretty nice and the southern section of Holden Ridge is still rather desirable just for the proximity to High Point Road.

Along the southern edge of Holden Ridge the older houses have nearly disappeared altogether.  This section has actually rebounded recently and many of these newer homes are a giant step up from what used to be here...

Here we see just how quickly this neighborhood can change.  We've only moved a couple blocks to the west, and look at the difference.  Much of what we just saw looked similar to this section a few years back until High Point Road went through a small business boom.  The construction spilled over into the residential neighborhood, but as you can see, it didn't extend very far.

As we move further west, we see the the latest, and also largest, issue threatening Holden Ridge.  A number of lowrise apartment complexes have been popping up along Holden Road.  Holden Road connects some of Covington's largest outlying job centers with a corporate business park to the north, major shoping centers near High Point Road, and the railyards and industrial parks to the south.  With all these destinations, Holden Road is quickly becoming a major traffic corridor and the developers have been quick to follow and cash in with large apartments offering easy access to the artery.

Moving back up Aycock Street, we see another example of how these apartment complexes are starting to intrude and take over the older houses.  A number of streets used to connect these houses to Holden Road, but they were torn up by developers to ensure the "security" of their new apartment complex.

As you can see... Covington is still spreading out, but we've got a ways to go yet! ;)

Thanks for reading!!!
JB

bakerton

Nice update Jon. I like the rail next to the industry area. and the church. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.