• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Turning Bridges

Started by finaltable, April 17, 2011, 11:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finaltable

Is it possible to create custom bridges that can go on diagonal.  Can you build custom bridges that can make turns, without having to build land out in the middle of the water to make those turns?

I know that with default bridges that this is impossible.  Is there anyway for someone to work around this problem?  I was just looking at some pictures of some cool bridges.  One in particular was a floating bridge that make a 90 degree turn back to the other side of a lake. See the picture below.

"Buying the right computer and getting it to work properly is no more complicated than building a nuclear reactor from wristwatch parts in a darkened room using only your teeth."  ~ Dave Barry

rooker1

There is no way to make a bridge like this functional. 
The only thing I can think of is if someone were to make a model of a curved bridge that is plopable, transit enable each end and than turn car to subway and back again on the other side.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Esekon kelly

is there really a plopable curved Bridge. just asking :-[ i want to find it for my little village in the Egyptian Delta.

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

rooker1

Yes Elias, that way too.  But no ships can pass under, other than that Daeley's mod works wonders.
Esekon kelly, there are no curved plopable bridges that I know of.
Call me Robin, please.

Esekon kelly

j-dub

Diagonal bridge construction is one thing, it has been considered for a while, its just not so simple though, but a turning bridge with changes in height, is only something that should of been currently possible in CityScape, not so much SC4.

The only other thing I can think of that looks like this in game, is IF there was high-elevated-highways that could make a 90 degree turn, but even then, its the old ship head height issue again. Considering the difficulty, I don't think such a solution would be made into a reality anytime soon. The middle ground under the water would still need to be perfectly flat though.

finaltable

Thanks for everyone response, the one thing about this forum, as with the game, you can almost learn something new about the game everyday.  Thanks Terring7 for the link on how to build those turning bridges over the water.  Really they are turning roads but I still like the idea, even if I use it or not. 

Maybe one day we will get some diagonal bridge construction  ;) j-dub.  I know it takes a lot of work....cross linking threads on the site is another great way to find out all sorts of things.  As terring7 shared a link with us. 

I found this thread today, and while it's not so much a bridge it does however offer ways to get across rivers or lakes that you couldn't get straight across.  I'm talking about FLUP's...here's the link...http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6626.0   Awesome work NAM team.   :thumbsup:
"Buying the right computer and getting it to work properly is no more complicated than building a nuclear reactor from wristwatch parts in a darkened room using only your teeth."  ~ Dave Barry

noahclem

Quote from: j-dub on April 17, 2011, 04:41:22 PM
Diagonal bridge construction is one thing, it has been considered for a while, its just not so simple though, but a turning bridge with changes in height, is only something that should of been currently possible in CityScape, not so much SC4.

Actually it is possible to make "bridges" that turn and change in height, using essentially the same method that Terring7 pointed out. You will have to tweak your slope mod though, allowing for whatever slope you want. Because these draggable bridges only slope down over water you'll also need to terraform a higher area in advance, then drag from that point towards the shorelines. Then remove that high area, set the slope back to zero, and connect the sloping ends (which have to be exactly the same height with zero-slope installed). Allowing for a small slope again should let you connect the ends if you had trouble with the zero-slope installed. Possible, but really, really difficult. Also, not too aesthetically pleasing since the sidewalk width on straight sections is radically larger than on diagonal sections.

Also, I had thought that ships could pass under those draggable bridges--could be wrong though as I haven't been using ferries around them....

metarvo

Quote from: rooker1 on April 17, 2011, 01:52:23 PM
But no ships can pass under

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Daeley himself say that ferries and other boats were unaffected by these bridges?  Maybe I just read it wrong.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

j-dub

Quote from: noahclem on April 18, 2011, 01:15:34 PM
Actually it is possible to make "bridges" that turn and change in height, using essentially the same method that Terring7 pointed out. You will have to tweak your slope mod though, allowing for whatever slope you want. Because these draggable bridges only slope down over water you'll also need to terraform a higher area in advance, then drag from that point towards the shorelines. Then remove that high area, set the slope back to zero, and connect the sloping ends (which have to be exactly the same height with zero-slope installed). Allowing for a small slope again should let you connect the ends if you had trouble with the zero-slope installed. Possible, but really, really difficult. Also, not too aesthetically pleasing since the sidewalk width on straight sections is radically larger than on diagonal sections.

Of course we all know its possible for roads, the only thing is though, I have not seen anyone have success doing that with Maxis highways, and the picture shown is a highway.

antn

I don't know about this but:
Quote from: daeleyQ: Can we plop puzzle piece on to of them? GLR, etc?
A: Yes, but that will look a bit weird because they won't have supports. We might release some puzzle pieces exactly for this purpose in the future though...

Maybe it's possible to make puzzle pieces wich turn and changes in height and plop them on the roads, if this works there are a whole field of opportunities for bridges, fractional angle etc. On another note, maybe proper two-tile networks is impossible to use in this way but NWM and RHW is possible, so I think that might be the way to go if someone wants to make something of this.

MAVE-6 used for a bridge:

MandelSoft

Actually, there have been experiments with puzzle piece based bridges. Although it's in a very initial state, the results are promising...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

j-dub

Antn, since its out there, yes there have in fact been some interesting bridge experiments, regarding the knowledge you stated, I only will say I have seen nothing of Farr, the angled thing is more advanced then the straight away. The two-tile networks going across the water have more knowledge to them, since the RHW already got to taste that knowledge first. The Mave-6 being used for a bridge, will be regular dragged of course, but have to be dragged via work around, and luckily not so naked, which I don't quite get how you got to take a shot of that.

antn

Quote from: mrtnrln on April 20, 2011, 06:31:35 AM
Actually, there have been experiments with puzzle piece based bridges. Although it's in a very initial state, the results are promising...
Nice, good to hear that it is promising.

Quote from: j-dub on April 20, 2011, 01:52:10 PM
Antn, since its out there, yes there have in fact been some interesting bridge experiments, regarding the knowledge you stated, I only will say I have seen nothing of Farr, the angled thing is more advanced then the straight away. The two-tile networks going across the water have more knowledge to them, since the RHW already got to taste that knowledge first. The Mave-6 being used for a bridge, will be regular dragged of course, but have to be dragged via work around, and luckily not so naked, which I don't quite get how you got to take a shot of that.

I used those files in daeleys tutorial and dragged two parallell roads and just connected them to MAVE-6 on each side. The nakedness of it is from what I understand due to no pylon models being assigned for that particular network. BTW, the nakedness do not bug me, I can just as well use some cosmetical pieces on lots instead.

Would it be possible to make a mod such as daeleys for let's say the smooth 45% curve so that it can be used the same way? I have been looking around in the files with the reader but I can't find anything, most likely because I don't quite know what I am looking for and where to look. Am I right that this is basically a slope mod with some extra features?

noahclem

Nice work antn:thumbsup:

I thought you might be interested in this: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2793.msg368771#msg368771

Also, this might add weight to our suspicions that boat traffic can pass under this type of bridge:

Taken from simforum, check ArkenbergJoe's link in the topic I linked to above

As far as using a mod like daeley's for smooth 45 degree avenue curves, no from what I understand, because it's avenue (2-tile-wide)-based. For one-tile-based networks, which would include the RHW-4 dual wide-radius 45 degree curves that would probably be possible but pretty difficult, though I'm not really sure.

Like jdub said, a MAVE-6 bridge would probably be an avenue-based draggable thing, but I don't see any reason why making one of this type couldn't be done as well. As SC4 bridge technology develops I suspect we're likely to see more and more of this type of thing, the main reason being because 3-tile networks (new wide NWM and RHW 6&8C) can't have fully functional bridges without it.

And yes, that is basically a slope mod with extra features.

jacksunny

Quote from: noahclem on April 21, 2011, 04:55:16 AM
I thought you might be interested in this: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2793.msg368771#msg368771
Interesting. So would it be possible to use the "No Water Mod" to make diagonal bridges or to plop road, highway, and avenue curves?

noahclem

Quote from: jacksunny on April 21, 2011, 06:06:17 AM
Interesting. So would it be possible to use the "No Water Mod" to make diagonal bridges or to plop road, highway, and avenue curves?

It's a different mod than just one that takes away all the water. Diagonal bridges are possible as has been mentioned above, but this isn't possible for 2-tile networks. Basic curves with the Maxis retaining walls and pylons are also possible.

Death50

That is the Cornardo Bridge!

What...? No one said anything about it... -Cough-

finaltable

Quote from: Death50 on May 03, 2011, 02:15:50 AM
That is the Cornardo Bridge!

What...? No one said anything about it... -Cough-

It's a pretty awesome bridge.  The picture came from a friend of mine, he took it as he was flying out there.  I've seen some really great photos of it on google search, but I wanted to use that one.