• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

What "Extra" Files Do I REALLY Need...

Started by Zirconia Wolf, April 08, 2012, 06:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zirconia Wolf

...if I want to use SimGoober's Air Purification doohickey????

A little back story: I am a long-time fan/player of other city building type games (Emperor, Zeus, Children of the Nile, etc) & a die-hard Sims 2 addict who just recently (1 week ago) installed SimCity 4 Deluxe as it is required to make/edit maps for Sims 2. So I launch the game with the sole intention of just figuring out the essentials of map editing when I decided it wouldn't hurt to try & actually learn how to play the thing, so I started the tutorials & danged if I wasn't soon rather hooked on the little bugger.

Now being no stranger to the world of mods (my custom content folder for TS2 is quite full) I soon stumbled upon the NAM project (which is most awesome, btw!) which installed/works just peachy...so when I was perusing a thread (on another site) about dealing with air pollution & saw the link to the GooberGen thingy (which was highly recommended) I happily snagged it...only to discover that it apparently requires several other files (BSC Textures, etc) and when I went to download THEM I find that they intern seem to require other files...and some of those files may/may not be "superseded" by other files...and now I am completely & utterly confused.

So, here's my question: If all I want to do is to install the GooberGen Purification item, what extra files do I really need to add? I don't want much else in the way of Custom Content for this game (Sims 2 is my real passion, this is just a diversion) & just thought the Purifier sounded like a cool thing...but if it means having to install countless Mega Packs of stuff I will otherwise never use...urg.

So far, the only other things I have installed are the NAM (+ the Traffic Configure Tool), the Real Highways addon, SAM, the Official Cheat DLL & all the Official Landmarks. I also have the "Dat Packer" thingy, but the one time I tried to run it (in an effort to compact the landmarks) it insisted on packing the NAM files too (which is apparently a big no-no) even despite me having navigated to a different folder, so I have since re-installed the NAM & not touched the Packer. I am also running W7 64 bit, if that means anything.

Again, I am just looking for clarification as to what extra stuff I have to install for the GooberGen thing to work correctly, as I am now totally baffled by what Mega Pack may have superseded what other Mega Pack.

Thanks for any help you can give a baffled newbie! (Other than my "what pack" confusion, I am rather enjoying the game!)

EDITED TO ADD: Very sorry if this is posted in the wrong place! Still getting use to navigation this site!

catty

Hi Zirconia Wolf

Welcome to the site, the GooberGen Air Purification needs these three dependencies

•BSC Essentials
•BSC Texture Mega Packs
•BSC MEGA Props - CP Vol01.dat

and it turn these three dependencies need

BSC MEGA Props - Misc Vol02
BSC Textures Vol03

I know its a bit of a daisy chain, the site does have a master dependency list to try and make it easier for people to find these links, its a bit out of date, the plus side is that most dependencies don't ever change location

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?page=4

QuoteEDITED TO ADD: Very sorry if this is posted in the wrong place! Still getting use to navigation this site!

Try the "Playing the game help" board the next time  http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=36.0

I'll move you later once you have seen this reply.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.