• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The FrankU and Nexis CO-OP

Started by mrbisonm, December 14, 2011, 06:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gn_leugim

In case of wondering, I haven't forgotten, but not only I'm having less spare time lately, my old PC where I kept my SC4 stuff is having some issues, which are more or less figured out. this weekend most likely I'll input the promised tips :)

just had a slack, and was able to do it :p

So... there are a lot of textures out there in the web for the picking, but to be honest, there are a lot of them that are just not good, or at least, not good at the current form. In my experience, most textures need some additional work to make them worth and (for BAT's case) some more work may be done to further improve the texture's (or model's) quality.

There are a lot of issues that you may find, and each of them have different ways to be dealt with. I have gather a small tutorial about the two I consider the most common and "degrading" problems.

1. Noticeable patterns and seamless textures.

This is one common problem. Lets see this texture I got from the net:

I don't know about you, but I can tell already that this will not look good on a BAT, wanna see for your self? here we go:

You see, this particular textures has two issues. First, you can see where one ends and the other starts, it has sharp edges and therefore the texture in the overall do not look fluid, continuous, its not seamless, you can see the seams! Not good! Second, the dark patch of tiles repeats itself very regularly, contributing for the seamless-less effect as you can tell by it where one patch of the texture is, one after the other. Oh my eyes hurt! We need to fix this! ASAP!

First, get the texture file in Photoshop (or Gimp or other equivalent, the names of functions may be different there, but I really don't know, so you have to figure out on your own). let's take care of those seams first! Go to filters, others and offset:

Make sure that the options are set to warping. This makes the image "scroll" on the vertical and/or horizontal axis. As my image is 300x300 I set the offset to 150 on both axis, so now, what was the edge of my texture, is in the middle:

Now we need to work on that, namely this part highlighted:

First we have to notice one thing, there is a misfit in the tiles at the centre. there is a half tile colum in the middle, so before all, we are going to select to the left part of it (all the way to the edge) and scale it inwards. repeat to the right side. The trick here is to make sure that both scales are equal and the edge of the tiles line up with each other, removing the seam. Now, search for your "healing brush" and use it on both areas previously highlighted, using as reference a good (or more than one, which is better) of the texture. Try play a bit with brush sizes, references places, etc, to get used to the tool and get the best results. Once finished, you should get something like this:

And applying it to the bat, this is what we got:

The seams are gone, but those dark patches are still killing my eyes and ruining the texture.
Time to grab the healing tool again. Lets see, what can we do? you can use the tool to "replace" the dark areas with light areas, the reverse, or mix a bit of both. While doing this, make sure the edges of the tiles are aligned and using a soft brush will help. Again, be free to play around (the Crtl+Z is such a good friend for this). I end up with this:

which looks like this on the BAT:

Doesn't it look much better? And both issues are solved in my opinion ;)

2. Brightness Gradients

This is other often issue found in textures, most of them taken with bad lightning conditions or preparations. Here is a way to address this issue when facing simple textures affected by this problem. By simple I mean textures without much detail except the bumpiness of the surface and so, and with a simple color (like a wall texture or dirt texture)
So, here is an example:

You can see that this texture has a corner that is brighter than the rest and other darker. If you apply this texture to the BAT, this is what you get:

My eyes!!! Just, just, not good! So, how to solve this? For these textures, easy! Open it on PS, and set the offset again (like above). Then go to layers and duplicate the layer.

With the top layer selected, go to filters, other, high pass:

You will then have an option on how the radius. Smaller radius will certainly remove any gradient on brightness for sure, but, will also remove the details of your texture. You will need to find the right balance to remove the gradients and keep the details. Luckily, you have a preview window to help you with that. Press ok. Now, in the same way you did above, use the healing tool to remove the seams and when finished, hide the layer. Select the bottom layer and select the healing brush (if possible set its mode to "replace" instead of "normal"). Using the healing brush, try to make the texture more homogenous (don't worry about details) regarding the color. Try to make it look like the original/good color as much as you can. After, go to filter, blur, average:

This will even out the current image. If you did a good work with the healing tool, you can use the Gaussian blur instead (in the same menu), and adjust it to your liking to archive the same effect, without making it whole of the same color. Now, unhide the top layer, set it to "Screen" on blending mode and tcharã!

And when applied to the BAT:

Finnaly, you can use (on the bottom layer, the one with color) some adjustments regarding the color or, apply on the top layer (the one with the details) some contrast, brightness or sharpness adjustments to further improve your texture.

There are more tips I have to show you as well the way to make textures from scratch, which in my opinion, is the best you can do. But that will come in future editions :p

Any questions or doubts, don't hesitate adding me on Skype. If you have none, you can add me anyway ^^ (send me PM for contact info)

-Carlos

mrbisonm

OH great, You are the man to remember. This is fantastic work and an excellent tutorial.
I just learned a lot of things and as soon as I am finished studying this and trying it out, I will get onto some serious texture improving.

The only thing is that I might want to redo some older and finished models........oh my.

Thank you so much, I am indeed deep in your dept. This is very much appreciated, much more than I thought it could be.

Your post should be pinpointed somewhere, so it will be available for everyone.

Thank You

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

gn_leugim

you are welcome  ;)

I hope this improves your (already) good work. Any thing don't be afraid to ask ;)

And like I said, I may add (or edit the original post) more tips I use. But the main thing is, each bat should have its own custom texture made. Not just the seamless texture, but something more, made out from that seamless texture. I will give you more hints on it soon, meanwhile you can search Omnibus in ST or other places for tuts. There is also one (very) unfinished tutorial I started on ST: http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/51698-photoshopgimp-textures-and-your-bat/#entry1290159

mrbisonm

Thank again gn_leugim, much appreciated. I played around with your tutorial a little and was surrprised of how much one can do with this. This is really amazing to me since I had no idea how to do this and most of the time, I used already ready textures that I found on my models.

I felt like re-doing all the textures on my models but since there are too many, I will only do those that will be new,meaning only about 10 percent of this set will have manipulated textures.

Again, thanks again for this and now I know who to turn to when I have texture questions......lol

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now, the immense silo set was finished rendered last week and the week before and for the next days I will test the props quickly ingame and then, before next weekend, they will be off to FrankU. Meanwhile Frank will be testing them more thouroughly, I will finish rendering the shed and seconday buildings set, which should be reafdy in a very short time, and then again they will be off to FrankU.
Once he will have both of them, while he already has the mainbuilding and manure sets in his posession, he will be ready to start the serious LOTting of all these models. Only one or two smaller, much smaller, sets will then quickly follow to complete the big set.

Once the complete set is in Frank hand's, I will make a list with pictures and description of all the models which will be included in the MFP 1 set and have it shown right here.
So, as I am getting close to the end of all this after all those years, I would like to thank you all for your patience, helps and comments.

Have a Happy Easter.....Frohe Ostern....Joyeuse Paques.

Fred

gn_leugim

:D

happy easter to all you too my friends :)

Anyway, yes, sure, you cal always ask. Actualy I was wondering these days, maybe I could to some batting/textures works on video :p

Jack_wilds

Happy Easter week... see I ain't late in the sentiment...

liking all the progress    :popcorn:

mrbisonm

Well, sometimes things don't go too well for a long period of time, and the last 2 years have not been very easy for me at all. There were serious health problems (heart-attack), my new summer home (to void the cold wintermonths here in Canada) in New Zealand, minor family problems (my life with three adult sons), an extremely bad and harsh winter (average of -22C), computer (videocard blew) and gmax problems (rendering problems) and lots of new things and happenings on our farm (new machinery, new watersystems, new manure ladder, new this and that etc).

So, here I am, now on the more or less "retired from architecture", trying to stay alive with these heart, diabetics and asthma problems, and confronting one hell of a storm here in Quebec/Canada this last week on top. We are not used to have toronados (or very strong winds) here and we just had 2 of them nearby and a lot of trees and branches all over our farm. No electricty on the farm this week, my Massey tractor and the generator were running for three days non stop. This is what I have been doing for the last week, cleaning the mess and trying to keep things in order and in one piece. Electricity is back now since thursday night, they said 6 telephone posts were simply broken off at groundlevel, just like matchsticks.

But here's some good news. I just finished rendering the last of the silos, the MFP1 siloset is now ready for a quick test and off to FrankU this coming week (after a quick testing of each model from my part, I wouldn't send him stuff that doesn't show up in the lotmaking program, right?) for the final test and then the placing on his lots.
And......the sheds are about to be ready later this week too. Only the machinery and implements will have to be finalized then. To me, this is Great News........lol. I have been on this for a long time.

Below is the very last silomodel rendered about 30 minutes ago....WOOOHOOOO!!
It is a grainsilo of which I have about 2 dozens of different styles, sizes, details and colours (textures). I will have a complete list of the silos later. Since there are so many, it will take some time to make pics and add a description to upload them. But I will have everything in details with pics before I upload all these sets of the MFP1.

....and this is a preview of what's coming up with the latest of sets. The bales (dozens of different sizes shapes etc) will be in the shed set, ready for next weekend, and the tractor is one of my new machinery models coming after that.

Hope you like..... ;)

@Frank, you will get this siloset in the next days, as soon as I have tested them quickly, now it is weekend time, with the family and then some more storm clean-up on monday.

Fred

FrankU

Hi Fred,

You certainly had a lot of hard times. There were moments that I feared our project was going to die, but it is still alive and we are going to show all of our friends around here!
But be certain that I support you and as there is nothing I can do, regarding the distance to your home, I just say: good luck with everything and don't get too much stress. It's bad for your health!

Frank

PS: the props look gorgeous, although the wheels under the trailer look a bit odd.

TheTeaCat

Hi Fred,

Awesome to hear that things have improved somewhat for you :thumbsup:
Love all that you have done on this project (well the bit we got to see  ;D)
I really like the torn tarp on the hay-bales! that's an awesome little bit of detailing &apls

I don't mind waiting for such quality stuff!

Derry

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

mrbisonm

FrankU, thanks for the good luck wishes. I am an optimist, most of the times and I also know that after a storm there will be some sun. ;)
The wheels on the trailer might look a little weird, but don't worry, you will not be able to see this ingame. The models are too small for such details to show through.

Derry, glad you like my stuff and I can't wait to show it all, there is so much of it......lol. Thanks for commenting, nice to see you again.

Now I have to go and do some BBQ'ing for supper...... :thumbsup:, love that smell already.

Fred

Jack_wilds

Fred...

do not know how to adequately respond t the challenges...  &mmm

its harsh yet by His grace U R alive and doing well and for what it is worth have plenty of life to live yet...  I too have endured a harsh time period  ??? ... what I will extend is a simple prayer for His love and goodness in favors to live a fulfilling life; be blessed in His peace and grace... His grace is about the only thing that kept me sane these passed harsh years...

but that move from Canada to teh land of kiwis?  thats a hop...

the tease pics are awesome...  :thumbsup:  can not wait to see what he does with 'em... If U are unable to do american farm lots   &idea I hope there are a few that can step up and do it...

-Jack

mrbisonm

Quote from: Jack_wilds on May 24, 2015, 04:08:53 PM
Fred...

do not know how to adequately respond t the challenges...  &mmm

its harsh yet by His grace U R alive and doing well and for what it is worth have plenty of life to live yet...  I too have endured a harsh time period  ??? ... what I will extend is a simple prayer for His love and goodness in favors to live a fulfilling life; be blessed in His peace and grace... His grace is about the only thing that kept me sane these passed harsh years...

but that move from Canada to teh land of kiwis?  thats a hop...

the tease pics are awesome...  :thumbsup:  can not wait to see what he does with 'em... If U are unable to do american farm lots   &idea I hope there are a few that can step up and do it...

-Jack

Don't worry Jack, the North-American farmlots will be taken care of for sure, whether only by myself and/or others. I have already started making a few and they will be shown and uploaded by smaller batches and/or packs once the Main MFP1 file and Frank's lots have been finished. There will be so many new "countryprops" that many LOTters won't be able to resist to play in the new sandbox which will open another aspect to the game....Simfarming and Country Life.

I have been playing with a few of these lots already since almost two year, adding a few every month or so......and they work fine and look darn good ingame. And they grow very easily, even with other farmlots in the Plugins Folder. Here are a few sample pics to show what they look like. I am working on a giant lot of Beef cattle raising at the moment, something as big like 4000 cattleheads, giant buildings and manure removal facilities included. The lot isn't ready yet, but I will show as soon as I play it. I am making this as the same model for Farming Simulator.
North-American (Canadian and American) farms will be represented by several categories such as Dairy farms from Ontario and Minnesota, Beef farms from the West-Canadian and the southern US, small family farms, bigger co-op farms and xlarge Farm industries, Beef, Dairy, Porc, Chicken and Geese, Turkeys and poultry, cereals, veggies, orchards and fruits etc, all and more will be there. And then.....there is the MFP2.....lol.... next year.....but that's another story.

There also will be a small Add-on that will add other props (strictly North-American) to these sets. All is planned and will not take as long to finish as this MFP1 set, since most of it is either in ther doing or already done. ;)

Here are some pics to give you an idea of some medium sized farms from around the American Continent (growables) that I have been playing with and will be uploaded as a "North-American Farm" growable lotset. (these lots are not final since many new props are still in the making and will be either replacing others or be added.

(barn and silos will be tossed over not to be on top of the road texture)

enjoy the preview................

Btw, I am not moving to NZ, but I have built myself a loghome there to spend the cold wintermonths (from end of December to mid-March). After the harsh last two winters, I now hate the cold months here in Quebec where I have my mainresidence and farm.

Fred

dirtguru

Perfect, You guys have nailed it. Well worth the wait! &apls

romualdillo

Great work, Fred!!!  &apls  Very detailed work!!

FrankU

While Fred is harvesting and or sewing his crops, I dunno... I did some lotting here and there.
You might remember that I showed the farms stages 1 up to 5 some time ago. They will be finished and probably thoroughly relotted when Fred has sent me his prop stets.

Meanwile I have some time to fool around with the Stage 6 and 7 heritage lots.
The sets are not yet finished, although some lots are.
Just for the fun of it I show you what the state of things is at this very evening, while thunderclaps expel the heat of the day.

Some lots you have seen already:

Landhuis Borgelerhof - stage 6

Huis De Kranenkamp - stage 6

Conferentieoord De Horst - stage 6

Begraafplaats Wezenveld - stage 6

Oude Kalkovens - stage 7

This one is finished and new to you

Ruïne Abdij Sion- stage 7

These ones are being worked on

Buurtschap Beerze - stage 7, a kind of open air museum

Klooster Windesheim - stage 7

This one is being worked on, but I fear it is not going to make it. Something in the building is not OK.

Kasteel Twickel - stage 7

And these only have a building and a lot size

Kasteel Ooidonk - stage 7

Huis Waardenburg - stage 6

You like them?

Frank

carlfatal

Perfect work on these castles and manor houses!
I know, that in the Netherlands but also in Rheinland and Northern Germany most of them were built outside of villages, and some of youre finished lots reminded me to manor houses I know there around. Really wonderful work. My absolute favorite is de Kranenkamp followed by the cloister farm!  &apls &apls &apls

But also I like the lime kiln, long forgotten industry, and also the lot, that makes problems. Whatever it is, the combination of old walls, towers and later on built houses is stunning!  :thumbsup:

And at least a question: As you commented my region view: I play with the SPAM here, and I know, that your farming project is SPAMMed but looks MUCH MORE better than the original: I am thinking about a new region, (framework houses and so on), and I need only small farms without any building for the start. Would I be able to grow farms by only using your ones without building?

Aah: and before I forget: wonderful new nexis BATs here!  :thumbsup:

mrbisonm

Quote from: FrankU on July 02, 2015, 11:16:36 AM
While Fred is harvesting and or sewing his crops, I dunno... I did some lotting here and there.

Fred finished sowing his crops and now is enjoying a little vacation (more than little as a matter of fact) in my favourite region of New Zealand. It's almost winter here, but  way out different from Canada. Fresh today, a little rain and sunshine mix and around 15 C, perfect for me and my wife to enjoy the outdoors (nature and climbing), unfortunetly a little too late for hunting....darn

I will be back, having "tanked" a lot of oxygen and all freshly recovered from work and stress in about a week or two and finish the two sets (silos and sheds) once and for all.

Nice Lotting there, Frank!

Fred

vortext

Really like the new additions Frank!  :thumbsup:

Buurtschap Beerze in particular looks promising. Maybe transit enable the different exit points? Klooster Windesheim looks very nice as well. I agree Kasteel Twickel looks a bit weird and it's probably because the main buildings are city gates rather than castle buildings. I like how you outlined the moat with textures though. Very creative. And mind telling were you got those nice little bridges? I can definitely use those.  :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

noahclem

Wow, that's a lot of neat lots! I particularly like the Tromso cathedral with cemetary, the ruins, and the manors  &apls

FrankU

Thanks guys!
The Twickel castle: in fact the main building with the tower and the wall is indeed a city gate from Zierikzee (Zuidhavenpoort) by Meurdoos/marcoheutink. My idea was to make a lot that resembles a restored part of a ruinous castle. So only a part is there. But in order to be convincing I should have some low wall elements around the edges or so. And the tow large green doors are not very castle like. The moat is not enough. And some kind of contemporary looking entrance building, for the ticket office etc. All other props are experiments: trying to combine several props together into one convincing lot: a Simgoober farm house, a Kwakelaar castle tower and a Maxis (!!!) Castle set house.
I fear this lot is not going to survie and will either end up in the abyss or will change looks so that you will not recognize it.

@ carlfatal
About the farms.
Do you mean to grow my Stage 0 Farms Set?
Yes. They grow with SPAM, with CAM and also in SC4 Vanilla. They are in fact Stage 1, but lotted with only crops. Safest is to block all other farmlots and grow my small ones first. I believe that, at least when there is a bit of demand, the farms with more jobs grow the most, and in that case my Stage 0 hardly grow. I do not know how to balance that.

@ mrbisonm
Hmmm. well....and I am sitting here.....and waiting for you props to pop up.....
Have a good time! You see that I am not bored.

@ vortext
Transit enable? You mean only for connecting streets to the lot, right? Not that cars drive over my lot. I could try that too of course (SCTool isn't it?), but somewhere I read that this kind of transit enabling can screw up the traffic thingies.
The bridges are made out of two Simgoober props vol 1: SG_pond_dock9 and SG_pond_Dock45. Nice hey?
The moat. Nice hey? Maybe I use this technique for a Dutch ditches set 2? Nobody ever BATted a set of ditches that look like I want them to. Maybe this set is the best I can get.

@ noahclem
Thank you!

@ all
Do you think there should be a significant difference between Stage 6 and Stage 7 lots? At the moment I think the Stage 6 should be manors and a cemetery and Stage 7 are the others, more rare heritage lots.
For SPAM users I have planned to make all these lots also available as ploppable I-R Landmarks. The Buurtschap Beerze could also be a museum lot, but in that case I have to produce a Museum Query.... I don't know.

And when all the farm lot are finished I would like to add some Rewards that will be triggered by my farms, windmills and other rural lots.... But I have no idea how long that will take.

Frank