• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sunken Light Rail

Started by miggoycor, November 17, 2009, 04:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggis

Quote from: OwlGreene on April 15, 2010, 12:34:57 PM
Ok.  I'm not very tech savvy, but something's not making sense here.  If someone says he/she has it, and that that person has permission to upload it, why isn't it uploaded the way the person has it, perhaps as a beta or something, then update it in their own time?  From reading this forum I've deduced that there are plenty of SC4 users who'd much appreciate it HOWEVER they can get it.  Anytime I use all caps it's for a good reason.  Honestly, the GLR options on here suck, and anyone who cares about rail transit knows that light rail tracks on the ground or on the road spells disaster for the locals who deal with it.  We're CLAMORING for another option, and knowing there's another option out there but that the holder's just not uploading what they have hurts my desire to play.  I wanna run my GLRs underground, and I'm sure there are other SC4 players who do too.  Don't fault us for begging for better!!!!!!  We just know it's out there, and we want it.  Shucks, I'd pay via paypal for those doggone sunken GLR pieces.

Basically, we believe in uploading only the best.  We're not happy to upload something that won't work as advertised or could potentially break things.  These lots were badly modded by NOB, which may have been in part due to a language issue, I'm not sure.  To ensure the lots we upload are of the highest quality they go through serious testing before uploading.  I'm sorry if you are so impatient that you can't wait a couple of weeks but thems the breaks.

choco

and furthermore, badgering people to bend to your whim because the past 5 years of NAM development isn't good enough for you isn't a very good way to get them.

if time is such an issue, pick up the BAT and the reader and start modding.  if you can't/wont, then sit back....chill, and wait for them to be finished.

wes.janson

I'll never understand why people will complain that they don't get FREE content faster. Especially since anything the NAM team has done has always been well worth the wait.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

k808j

The caption under SC4D says it the best. For our  ()borg() part we appreciate the wait. This means when the product comes out, there will be little to no problems and hence the gameplay is much smoother.

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

Rady

I also don't understand people that just can't wait. The rate new stuff pops up with here and there is so high that as far as I'm concerend I still cannot catch up with downloading and installing all that wonderful stuff.  :P :P :P

So - no need to hurry. It's always fine to see that there's a lot of fine stuff in the tube. And beside that, if there's nothing new for downloading for some time, I can catch up wit installing and actually playing  :D :D

&apls &apls &apls &apls for the great work of all of you!
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

redraider147

I formerly had this...I used it alo get l the time...I had to reinstall the game and in the process lost this file...yet here I am waiting patiently, because in time, it will come and be better than the version I had prior.

On another note, if you are so desperate for sunken GLR, there is a crude method using hole digger lots, the current GLR, the current overpass pieces, and hillside GLR to subway transitions. Try that if you absolutely cannot wait and will resort to all caps to try try to get what you want...It will hopefully hold you over...it's holding me over...

zakuten

Allow me to play devil's advocate a bit, here, but it does seem a little strange that practically every transit project suddenly becomes NAM "property"... Is NOB still involved with this?
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

wes.janson

Quote from: zakuten on April 16, 2010, 10:01:01 PM
Allow me to play devil's advocate a bit, here, but it does seem a little strange that practically every transit project suddenly becomes NAM "property"... Is NOB still involved with this?

I believe NOB has given BSC permission to upload his models and, since this requires proper transit modding to function properly, who better than the NAM team to do so.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

Andreas

Well, the thing is, for functional transit items, there's only one file within the game that holds the necessary rules (the NAM Controller), so any transit mod that is supposed to intruduce functional transit items has to be integrated into the NAM somehow. Also, there's nobody who "owns" the NAM - it's a completely free and open project, and everyone who wants to participate in the NAM development is certainly very welcome to contribute is knowledge, time and workforce. :)
Andreas

Diggis

As Wes said above, NOB gave the BSC permission to mod and upload his work here.  I believe it was given to xxdita.  As I had a copy of these I started looking into them and after talking to the NAM team (I am a member of both) it was passed onto people there who are better qualified to do modding. 

Basically, it's become the NAM teams responsibility as they are the largest collection of network modders in the community.  We are constantly looking for members who show an interest in transit modding as many hands make light work.

miggoycor

SO...
How's it going?  :)

It's a good thing I posted this issue on the NAM forums. I didn't get any help anywhere else.
Good job guys and keep it up!  :D  :thumbsup:
&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &aplsCan't wait for the release!  :D  ;D (Actually, I can, but you get the idea)
φ    =    1+√(5)
                ---------

≈ 1.6180339887

Diggis

Quote from: miggoycor on April 18, 2010, 06:15:57 AM
SO...
How's it going?  :)

It's a good thing I posted this issue on the NAM forums. I didn't get any help anywhere else.
Good job guys and keep it up!  :D  :thumbsup:
&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &aplsCan't wait for the release!  :D  ;D (Actually, I can, but you get the idea)

It's mostly ready, we're just waiting on a couple of items, and looking at adding a single piece.  Plus we're packaging up some packs of NOB's which form a dependency for it.

io_bg

It's great to hear these news, Diggis ;D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

jdenm8

Great to hear the good news!  &apls

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

miggoycor

φ    =    1+√(5)
                ---------

≈ 1.6180339887

dragonshardz

Good to hear that we can expect a release soon-ish.
* dragonshardz waits patiently.

OwlGreene

I'm hearing a million different things here.  One person is saying they have it, it works, and they have permission to upload it.  Another person says it cannot be uploaded.  Yet another person says it won't work the way it exists.  Yet another person says it will work using the ploppable underground rail tiles.  I'm hearing everything everyone's saying, and i'm thinking about what's happened on here in the past.  I get it.  The "powers that be" don't want this out till it's "perfect", although many other uploaders have no problem putting their beta work on in the forums, not the LEX, or STEX, or any other EX for that matter, so eager folks could download, try, and report bugs that may help the efforts toward the finished product.  Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk here.  I, like most other forum members RELY on the people who upload for two good reasons: 1) The original Maxis lots and automata stink, and without the uploaders' contributions no one would still be playin almost a decade later, and 2) The BAT, GMAX, iLive, and the lot editor all equal a big ol' bowl of Alphabet Soup to us.  I have all those programs on my PC, and even with the tutorials, still none of it makes sense.  So I'm at the will of the developers.  No more caps lock guys, I'm just hungry.

Ps, I've been using the hole digger lots to build my GLR "subways" for quite some time.  It's just not realistic.  I'd love some more sunken stations for the cause.  Maybe some overhanging lots to make "tunnels"?  Anyone know any links?????????

Jonathan

QuoteOne person is saying they have it, it works, and they have permission to upload it.  Another person says it cannot be uploaded.  Yet another person says it won't work the way it exists.  Yet another person says it will work using the ploppable underground rail tiles.
Another person saying things should be done differently...

1)Everyone who makes things for SC4, do it in their free time and don't get paid.
2)Noone wants to release something that doesn't work and then get told "why did you release this, it's not finished"
3)Noone wants to damage you cities, or make you rebuild 20 times over, after the 20 public beta release.

OwlGreene

I did admit I understood that.  I know no one gets paid.  Everyone knows that.  It's getting to the point where it doesn't need to be said anymore.  We're waiting because we have to wait.  Once it's on here, we're gonna download it.  Until then, we're gonna blog about how bad we want it.

Diggis

We've made some changes to make it better.  They rely on some other things to be sorted first.  Once that's done, these will be released. Just be patient please.