• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Changing textures of default / Maxis streets

Started by M4346, January 21, 2016, 12:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4346

Evening ladies and gentlemen!  ;D

This may seem like a stupid question, and you might be asking, "WHY?! would you want to do this?! You have the SAM  %wrd "

But, I'd like to know whether it is possible to change the default Maxis street textures to, for example, the asphalt textures (from the SAM). Is it as simple as changing the texture IDs of the asphalt textures to that of the Maxis street texture IDs?

What I'm actually interested in is the curves. I can 'override' all the other default textures in game with the starter pieces, but I'd like to be able to drag the curves (the Rural Road Curve Puzzle Pieces) are a bit of a pain since they don't have 'base textures', which makes integration / transitions very difficult.

I'd really appreciate some insight from ye oh panel of wise!  ;D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Swordmaster

It's not as simple as assuming you'll be able to draw the wider curves with the asphalt streets simply because you can with the default streets--these textures don't exist yet in NAM 34. The only benefit from shifting the IIDs you'll currently get is that you don't need to put in starters to get the asphalt. The extra functionality the street network has doesn't automatically translate to the SAM networks in the manner you suggest.

Cheers
Willy

mgb204

Much like Willy stated, SAM sets are very much just a small number of the total amount of textures that the regular street networks have. So you could do it, but you would need to make many new textures, not least the WRC's you are after to accomplish this.

There are plans to bring the WRC's to the SAM networks eventually though.

compdude787

I've always liked the look of many of the SAM streets, but I never use them for this reason: they have no draggable wide-radius curves.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel