• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM 33 (Official Release) Now Available

Started by The NAM Team, November 26, 2015, 12:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The NAM Team

The NAM Team is pleased to announce the official release of the 33rd edition of the Network Addon Mod, NAM 33.

Availability

NAM 33 is hosted here at SC4 Devotion, on the LEX, and will also be available at Simtropolis, and ModDB.

Download Link
SC4D LEX (Windows)

Additional Mirrors
ModDB
Simtropolis

Note: Support for Mac OS X is presently on hiatus, in part due to changes Apple made to the latest version of OS X, El Capitan (10.11).  NAM 32.1 will remain available for Mac users in the interim, but with NAM 32's Windows release no longer being supported, and no active Mac users on the NAM Team as of writing, support will be extremely limited.

Installation Instructions

For Windows users: To install NAM 33, first run the self-extractor (NetworkAddonMod Setup 33 SFX.exe) to extract the installer, and THEN locate and run the installer (NetworkAddonMod Setup 33.exe), which should be located in the same directory by default.

The reason for the extra layer of self-extraction is designed to reduce the size of the download (260MB vs. 1GB) while also allowing the installer to run faster.  Simply running the Self-Extractor will not install the NAM, nor will sticking the files directly into your Plugins folder.

For Mac OS X users: There is presently no OS X version of NAM 33.  See note above.

Support

As the NAM is very much a forward-looking project, NAM 33 is presently the only fully-supported NAM version.  The Mac-only NAM 32.1 release will remain available in the interim, but with extremely limited support, as previously noted.  All other old NAM versions, including the NAM 33 Pre-Release, NAM 32, and earlier, are no longer supported and will no longer be distributed. 

Documentation is included, though much of it has not been updated since the 2013 release of NAM 31.2.  Note that some features have changed since this documentation was written.  and new features may still require additional documentation.  Some video tutorials of new functionality will be available, however.  We are transitioning toward more flexible means of documentation to combat this backlog, using a new section of the SC4 Encylcopaedia Wiki at SC4 Devotion, and apologize for any inconvenience in the meanwhile.

Technical Requirements

NAM 33, as per standard NAM Team specifications, is packaged in using the Nullsoft Installer System (NSIS), and is designed for use with Windows version of SimCity 4 Deluxe, though it is also compatible with Linux, provided one is using WINE.

The minimum configuration required to run the Network Addon Mod (NAM) with SimCity 4 is the same minimum configuration required to run SimCity 4 itself.  Either the original version of SimCity 4 in combination with the Rush Hour expansion pack, or the combination version included in SimCity 4 Deluxe is required.  Both are equivalent.  In any case, the EP1 patch that brings the version number up to 1.1.638.0 is required.  Digital versions of the game, including those provided by Steam, Origin, and GOG.com, should be pre-patched to 1.1.641, and do not require patching.  If your game is not up to date, the NAM installer will guide you through the installation of that official patch.  You must also have a valid game configuration.  If you have simply installed the game from a valid CD or from an authorized download, there will be no problems.  However, it is important that the game's file name not be changed from "SimCity 4.exe".  Modified executables, including "no CD" patches, will not be recognized by the installer as valid installations, and thus, the NAM cannot be installed in such cases.

Note that with the minimum configuration, or something close to it, it will not be possible to use most of the NAM.  The Traffic Simulator and its associated files can definitely be used, as these take up a very small amount of space and merely replace existing data in the game.  The game will work much better simply with the addition of the NAM Traffic Simulator.  However, although the extra efficiency of the NAM Traffic Simulator allows you to build bigger functional cities, the speed of your game will likely slow to a crawl as the size of your cities increases.  The reason is that the CPU time required by the traffic simulator grows exponentially with the size of your city.  This is true of the Maxis Traffic Simulator as well (both traffic simulators use the same software engine), but it is much more difficult to build successful large cities with the Maxis Traffic Simulator, so this problem is seen less frequently there.

For further information, please read the Information Page on the NAM 33 installer.

Note to Left-Hand Drive (LHD) Users

Due to the fact that very few NAM Team members run the game in Left-Hand Drive (LHD) mode, where vehicles drive on the left (as in the United Kingdom, Japan, etc.), support for LHD mode may be more limited than that of Right-Hand Drive (RHD) mode, especially with newer features.  Thus, feedback and issue reporting from LHD users is especially appreciated, and will help the team ensure the best possible LHD support.

NOTE: The NAM does not change drive side.  Unless one has a clear idea of the consequences, do not attempt to change the drive side options in the installer, as all those will do is simply give one a broken NAM installation without actually changing one's drive side.

Brief Overview of New Features

Changes in the NAM 33 Pre-Release:

• Massive update to the Draggable Ramp Interface (DRI) and FLEXRamp systems in the RealHighway (RHW) Mod.  90% of all previous static puzzle piece ramps have been given easier-to-use FLEX and/or draggable counterparts, and a plethora of new ramp interfaces for elevated RHW networks are now available, Wealth textures are included for ground level versions.
  • The RHW FLEXFly system has been completely overhauled, and now includes 90-degree and 45-degree versions, in single and dual-lane configurations, at Ground Level (L0), 7.5m (L1), and 15m (L2) heights.
  • The double-decker RHW-4 (DDRHW-4) has been lowered one level (from L2/L3 to L1/L2), increasing ease of use.
  • Disconnector added, to simplify demolition of FLEX-based RHW pieces.
  • Multi-Radius Curves (MRCs), in both draggable and FLEX form, have been added to the RealHighway Mod, in three different radii, for the RHW-2, MIS, RHW-4, and RHW-6S.
  • Stability improvements to the FLEX Height Transitions.
  • Major improvements to the RealRailway (RRW) plugin, which now supports most crossings.
  • Transit station functionality and compatibility has been further improved.
  • Minor fixes to other NAM components.

Further changes in the NAM 33 official release:

A couple surprises:

• The RealRailway (RRW) FlexTrack system makes an earlier-than-expected debut.  See the FlexTrack User's Guide in the Documentation folder for more details.
  • PedMall functionality greatly enhanced with the addition of access paths to most non-Highway-type road networks, including NWM networks and Tram/El-Rail Dual-Networking items.  Pedestrians may now directly access the PedMalls from these other networks without the need of a station or other transit-enabled lot/switch.
  • Many custom bridges that previously blocked all ferry traffic have now been corrected.
  • MandelSoft's previous RHW texture sets, including Euro, Ontario, and Irish/South African textures, have been discontinued.  A new standard Euro RHW set, based on the default US set, has been added as a replacement, and adds compatibility for all current RHW features.
  • An issue with the NAM 33 Pre-Release in which the Controller Compiler would fail due to an XML read error has been fixed.
  • Several overhanging texture issues with the new RHW ramp interfaces have been corrected.
  • The R3 FLEX-Multi Radius Curve now rotates fully as intended.
  • A number of Left-Hand Drive transit path file issues across the entire mod have been added or corrected for proper functionality.

The NAM Team would like to thank the entire SimCity 4 community for its continued support over the past 11 years, and we hope you enjoy the new NAM 33 release.  We would especially like to extend its sincere thanks to all the members of the community who helped test the NAM 33 Pre-Release, offering feedback and helping us locate and solve bugs.

Mad_genius

Yyyeeessssss!!!!!!!!!

Merry christmas everybody!!  &hlp &hlp :bnn: :bnn: $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Awesome work by the NAM team, as usual.
A huge thank you to all the NAM team for all their efforts over the last 11 years.

Alan_Waters

BRAVO!!!

One question:
Does the RRW any additional functions, other than changes in the texture? I do not like brown rails, but would like to have additional functions.

Mandarin(a)

Now that is very pleasant to hear!

Can't wait to test it ...     :laugh:

vortext

Quote from: Alan_Waters on November 26, 2015, 01:57:14 AM
Does the RRW any additional functions, other than changes in the texture? I do not like brown rails, but would like to have additional functions.

Yes, the RRW adds a host of draggable junctions and switches which are not available otherwise.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Alan_Waters

Alan_Waters

"Diagonal Bridge Enabler" does not work anymore?

vortext

Quote from: Alan_Waters on November 26, 2015, 06:55:18 AM

Not sure what's going on here, it works fine on my end with a complete standard installation. Hope someone else can shed light on it.

Quote from: Alan_Waters on November 26, 2015, 05:26:12 AM
Install NAM33 with RRW:

Please see the RRW user manual page 30: 'Support for converting the rest of the Viaduct Railway pieces, such as increasing the turn radius for the network bends, is planned in a future update'. This still holds true.  :)

And on a general note, the RRW FlexTrack User's Manual, found in SimCity 4\NAM Auxiliary Files\Documentation, gives an overview of all the current bends, switches & transitions and their patterns.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

Mikey Knox

Quote from: Alan_Waters on November 26, 2015, 06:55:18 AM

You have to click around with the RHW Tool until no Boxes are present anymore and the Bridge looks perfect, takes Time but it works.

On Topic:

I LOVE the new FLEX Railway  :thumbsup:

mgb204

Note many of the missing rail viaduct pieces were not supported in the NAM because they do not match the new specifications for the turning radius. These new pieces have yet to be produced, however as an interim solution Rivit's RUM for RRW mod will fix those pieces.

As for the DBE. Place one starter only, then click each tile until the bridge is complete. Only then plop the second starter at the other side.

bluepelican31

Thanks NAM team for your continued commitment to the NAM and SC4 in general.  I go back and forth between SC4 and Cities Skylines. Looks like more time will be with SC4 for the foreseeable future.

fefenc

This must be a dream and I don't wanna wake up ;)

EDIT: What is that new option "run cleanitol and station updater"? I didn't enabled it and NAM installed over my old NAM instalation without opening cleanitol (it opened only a cmd)

Tarkus

The Cleanitol option's been there for quite some time.  It mostly comes into play if you have old pre-SLURPed versions of stations or really old NAM files laying around, IIRC.

-Alex

a.panda

I am not sure if I read it correctly - is my NAM experience going to be affected as I am a LHD user using Euro texture?

mgb204

Only if you were using Marteens RHW EU textures, since they are no longer supported. That said a new EU texture set has been produced/included that will be the standard going forward.

LHD problems are usually minor things that don't affect the games function, such as unsupported paths or stoplines/props on the wrong side of the road.

Pioneer

:bnn: &hlp  $%Grinno$% &apls  :bnn: &hlp  $%Grinno$% &apls  :bnn: &hlp  $%Grinno$% &apls  :bnn: &hlp  $%Grinno$% &apls  :bnn: &hlp  $%Grinno$% &apls  :bnn: &hlp  $%Grinno$% &apls  :bnn: &hlp  $%Grinno$% &apls  :bnn: &hlp  $%Grinno$% &apls

Jimmyson

Congrats to the NAM Team!!

I am away from my desktop, but I can't wait to try NAM v33!!
I've been waiting a long time to see Ped Malls access the road ped paths! Saves an extra download!
And I am excited for go at the early form of RRW

I can't wait to see what's round the corner with NAM, so many new things to try out!

Jack_wilds

excellence par none    :bnn: :bnn: :bnn:

:thumbsup: &apls

luv what I play with... have no issues...

wait patiently hoping that the rrw will realize its full potential...    :popcorn:

Thank-you very much...

can anyone  ??? who knows direct me to a thread to simply explain what to do with SC4deluxe in Win10 and that 'disc' issue... how to fix it, and what is the better options

APSMS

Quote from: Jack_wilds on November 29, 2015, 03:01:46 PM
can anyone  ??? who knows direct me to a thread to simply explain what to do with SC4deluxe in Win10 and that 'disc' issue... how to fix it, and what is the better options
Hi Jack,

Unfortunately, the only solution for the Windows 10 disc issue is to buy a digital edition of the game, or not switch to Windows 10.

Good news is that SC4Deluxe is currently $5 on Amazon, which is DRM free. FWIW, it's also currently $5 on Origin and Steam, but I think the DRM free option is better if you have the choice.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation