• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

$ wealth Residential and Agriculture demand through the roof!!

Started by armyofone1890, February 13, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armyofone1890

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can provide some advice.  I have about 6 cities in my region now they all all mostly agriculture with one city all residential and industrial.  The farm cities also have small populations so as the keep the regional traffic somewhat uncongested.  The only problem I'm having is that my low wealth residential and agriculture demand never seem to move...they are off the charts constantly and no matter how many farms or houses I put in, they never move!!  My farms are also starting to show less that full employment which makes no sense.  Can anyone help me understand why this is happening?  Thanks!

-Tim

armyofone1890

On a side note, I have the census vault installed and it doesn't even show demand for agriculture...is that normal?

jmyers2043

Everything sounds normal to me.

Remember that R$ like to work CS$, ID, and I-AG. As long as the majority of the population is R$, then you'll have great demand for those three job sectors.

My experience? I always play with large city tiles so I'll speak from that perspective. I usually start with small town of around 5,000 +/- a few. I can usually pack farms into the city side by side up to about half of the large city tile before I-AG demand drops. I have two options at that point. I can make additional freight rail connections, and/or, zone a village somewhere with around 1,000 Sims. Farm demand should pop up again.

A population of around 5,000? About 1,000 will work in the farm fields, 1,000 will work in a dirty industry, and the other 500 or so will want to work in a commercial building. I believe that the workforce is about half the total population.

Don't sweat the lack of workers on the fields. Remember that all farms employ workers on the farm lot and on each farm field tile. Example: If I zone a 12X12 farm. It's probable that a 4X4 farm lot will grow and employ 25 workers plus another 119 field lots will grow each employing 1 or 2 Sims. That's 144 farm jobs on my 12X12 zone. If I only have 1,000 workers to begin with? Will not take any time at all before the number of possible farm jobs outnumbers the work force. Actually, the greatest problem I have with farms is field dilapidation. The cause is too much freight traffic. I tend to make creative road systems to 'funnel' traffic where I want it.

Raise the education level of the Sims when/if you want to create your metropolis. I usually wait until the country side is done before going for the big city of the region. Raise education, plop some civic buildings like police and fire, a couple of parks. This will result in some R$$ Sims moving to your city. They are likely work at IM, and CO$$, etc.  .  .  and farm demand will drop like a rock.

Good Luck

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

armyofone1890

That's helpful...currently 4 small cities are farmland with around 500 people living there.  They all funnel into my mid-sized city where there are many more people.  I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a glitch somewhere that cause both low wealth residential and agriculture to remain so high constantly.