• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

I don't think this problem is anything unique to you. I certainly run into the same problems, usually when the puzzle piece is hovered over non-flat terrain. Because puzzle pieces need flat terrain it can hide all or part of the preview as a result. So try to find somewhere flat to go through them, otherwise a little guesswork by anticipating the correct rotation can be key.

FrankU

Hi mgb204,

Sorry, I should have said this immediately: I worked on perfectly flat terrain, because I indeed know that props "disappear" under higher terrain.
So this was not the problem.... but what is?

APSMS

Some of the fixes to help eliminate z-fighting (wythyrwyz's (?) fix comes to mind) also cause the transparent transit preview models to become very hard to see, but if you haven't had this issue in past NAMs and nothing else has changed, I'm not sure what the problem could be.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

smileymk

I've got some missing paths on the new RRW Flex Track setups to report - I'm using LHD with the RUM and the 2 patches posted earlier in the thread by mgb204 installed:

I've checked all the NAM 35 setups and the only one I get complete paths on is the A2 Type 2. The A1 dual turnout has incomplete paths:

I don't get paths showing on any of the other NAM 35 Flex Track items.

I've checked the NAM 34 RRW Flex Track items and they all work correctly, along with all of the other NAM content.

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
SmileyMK

Realistic Cities for Dummies
Step-by-step tutorials on every single aspect of realistic city-building.

FacebookYouTube

eggman121

Thanks for bringing this issue up.

At the moment I don't have a solution and can't figure out why they are not working on LHD  %confuso

We (The NAM Team) shall do some investigation and hopefully fix it ASAP either by a patch or by other means.

I will check with MGB204 to see if he has encountered the same issues. He is an LHD user as well.

-eggman121

mgb204

Firstly, great to see you are still around Smileymk :).

I would have guessed in the first instance that the LHD paths simply didn't exist. Did you actually make separate LHD paths for these Stephen? What with all my computer problems, I've only done testing in RHD thus far, and that's been severely limited. Usually I take care of any missing LHD support where possible. I'll try and check that over the weekend for you.

:Update:
I'm also seeing a lot of missing paths too. But only for the new FlexTrack stuff. So I guess either the paths don't exist or for some reason are missing from the installer/failing to be installed correctly.

APSMS

Quote from: smileymk on November 18, 2016, 04:05:40 PM
I've got some missing paths on the new RRW Flex Track setups to report - I'm using LHD with the RUM and the 2 patches posted earlier in the thread by mgb204 installed:

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
SmileyMK
Hey Chris, glad to see you've still a little time to play the game. Quick question:
These are DrawPath confirmations of behavior you saw in-game (e.g. rail lines not being used)?

Hopefully the Team can figure out what the problem is; chances are it's something simple. We did some extensive basic testing, but as Stephen pointed out most of the NAM uses RHD, and our resident LHD user has a non-functioning SC4 computer, so I suppose we kinda let the ball down in that regard. Wish I knew more about these to help.

smileymk

Quote from: APSMS on November 19, 2016, 01:50:23 AM
Hey Chris, glad to see you've still a little time to play the game. Quick question:
These are DrawPath confirmations of behavior you saw in-game (e.g. rail lines not being used)?

Essentially yes, I put a Traffic data view on and the setups did not appear on it. Dragging the setups also causes the game to freeze for a few seconds.

After checking the paths I also did a test with automata to make sure the paths weren't just hidden, and found that the automata disappear when they hit the Flex Track setups.

Hope this helps,
SmileyMK

FacebookYouTube

eggman121

Quote from: smileymk on November 20, 2016, 04:54:00 AM

Essentially yes, I put a Traffic data view on and the setups did not appear on it. Dragging the setups also causes the game to freeze for a few seconds.

After checking the paths I also did a test with automata to make sure the paths weren't just hidden, and found that the automata disappear when they hit the Flex Track setups.

Hope this helps,
SmileyMK

Ok. So SmilyMK, I am going to edit some paths for LHD for you but I will need your help since I don't have a LHD installation. So I am really having a stab in the dark here.
I will do one piece I than if that is successful I will fix up the paths for the remainder of the flextrack Pieces.

One question? Is it all the flextrack Pieces? If so there may be some fixes already. We will try to get this sorted.

-eggman121

smileymk

Quote from: eggman121 on November 20, 2016, 11:06:52 AM

Ok. So SmileyMK, I am going to edit some paths for LHD for you but I will need your help since I don't have a LHD installation. So I am really having a stab in the dark here.
I will do one piece I than if that is successful I will fix up the paths for the remainder of the flextrack Pieces.

One question? Is it all the flextrack Pieces? If so there may be some fixes already. We will try to get this sorted.

-eggman121

No, just the new NAM 35 ones. The old NAM 34 pieces work correctly.

Happy to assist with this, just let me know what you need doing.

Chris

FacebookYouTube

mgb204

NAM 33's Flextrack definitely is supported, I remember a very fun evening working until 4am to get them done for release. So the only thing missing should be the new paths that didn't exist previously. It might take a little while, but we'll get them LHD-compatible eventually.

I switch between LHD/RHD all the time. All you need is to have two folders for the locale files and then you can change through a command switch between LHD/RHD. You need a separate NAM install for each though, but I have multiple plugins folders for this. I've recently made an article on ST that covers this in more detail.

mgb204

Just to highlight attention to it...

The issue with the Diagonal Rail x Ortho Ave/Street in NAM35 has been patched, support now includes non-RRW networks. All users need this, find it one page back, Reply #3909.

Jimmyson

I also could provide some help in identifying what RRW LHD pieces are missing paths.

I have a LHD setup and after installing NAM 35, found that a lot more paths are missing.

It's patchy between cities I have made, but have found that standard diagonal/orthoginal are missing, but I guess they were made with an older vision and need reinitializing.

RHW/RRW puzzle pieces are missing paths too!

mgb204

I'm almost certain the only ones with problems should be the latest NAM 35 FlexTrack pieces. I haven't really been playing the game much recently, but prior to NAM 35 I had everything I'd tested working in LHD. I even added a bunch of new LHD path fixes for a few remaining unsupported pieces too.

I've just checked and Viaduct Rail over RHW does have LHD pathing, as do standard Ortho/Diag pieces. As such, if your problems as this severe, I can only guess you don't have the NAM installed properly. Are you sure the installer made the correct LHD controller? Easy to check, in the Highway Menu at the bottom is an Icon/Entry for the NAM. Hover over this and it will tell you the controller version, if it's RHD or LHD and the date of the controller.

Jimmyson

The controller says RHD, 30th October 2016.
Which isn't right, as my traffic is LHD, and RHW is setup in the correct direction.

Maybe something wasn't updated?

Here is a link to some pic of the problem!

I have also ensured that I do not uninstall NAM prior to the update. But I think this may be an exception to help fix this problem!

Tarkus

The NAM installer is supposed to read the registry entries for the game to determine drive side.  Everything I'm seeing is consistent with running an LHD game with an RHD NAM.  If you're using the shortcut switch approach to do the drive side change, it's possible that your registry entry may be set to RHD (which happened a lot with Australian copies of the game), and the installer is picking that up.  I'd try a reinstall, while explicitly selecting the LHD option (which isn't normally recommended).

-Alex

Kitsune

Are the paths mixed up... as I thought the GLR in road was more of purple and heavy rail was this color. For the record, I got this by clicking on a road dead end with the heavy rail tool.

~ NAM Team Member

Tarkus

All Light Rail/Tram paths are doubled up with Rail paths with virtually all NAM items that use that network type.  This is how we are able to provide U-Drive-It support for Light Rail/Tram.  This "doubling up" started with the NAM 11 release (September 4, 2004).

There have been some issues reported with the Tram-on-Road semi-draggable implementation (with the Heavy Rail overclick) not functioning properly, but it's most likely a matter of the base networks involved in the implementation (Road and Heavy Rail) not getting along with the Light Rail paths.  We'll likely have to re-implement it as a hybrid of the Tram-in-Road implementation (Light Rail overclick on Road) coupled with a starter or FLEX item.

-Alex

APSMS

Yeah, I was having trouble with traffic not working with the draggable version of that network. Other traffic types, but no trams at all. Not sure why, and it took a while to pinpoint because it was in a busy area that had a lot of other transport and movement options; it was in a loop and most Sims just took the long way around, but after replacing the one stretch with the PPs I noticed a surge in traffic over the stretch. GLR usage in the serviced area went from around 200 to 3200.

Worth noting that the other "draggable" variants seemed to work just fine. TIA, TIR, and TIS all functioned no problem, and in fact the majority of my Tram network is built with the draggable variants of those types, but draggable TOR seems to be no-go for now. Again, the Puzzle Pieces of TOR work no problem.

FWIW the draggable functionality that Willy (swordmaster) demonstrated a few months back is really exciting stuff; when the Team gets to working on it it promises to be a game-changer.

Jimmyson

Quote from: Tarkus on December 03, 2016, 05:03:58 PM
The NAM installer is supposed to read the registry entries for the game to determine drive side.  Everything I'm seeing is consistent with running an LHD game with an RHD NAM.  If you're using the shortcut switch approach to do the drive side change, it's possible that your registry entry may be set to RHD (which happened a lot with Australian copies of the game), and the installer is picking that up.  I'd try a reinstall, while explicitly selecting the LHD option (which isn't normally recommended).

-Alex

I am using the Steam version for SC4, so I utilise the "Shortcut Parameters" (-l:"UK English") to get the LHD setting.

Question about getting the installer to detect the setup. Is it normal to select which items to install? Cause from what you describe about the auto-select, is that it looks for existing files and registry settings to pick the "best" upgrade/install solution. Am I correct?