• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Mapper and Windows 7 [FIXED]

Started by MattShizzle, March 01, 2010, 08:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattShizzle

My computer died Wednesday - I bought a new one that has Windows 7. It's very fast and has a 1TB(!) drive but unfortunately a lot of things are not compatable with Windows 7 - including SC4Mapper. Any chance a Windows 7 compatable version will be coming out? It should since it won't be long before that's what nearly everyone uses...
The great thing about the BSC exchange is it remembers all my downloads. It's a pain getting them all but better than not having a list. Best Buy recovered my old HD but somehow I lost my old SC4 stuff.

If you are having trouble with SC4Mapper, please download the new (2013) version here (linky)

BarbyW

There is a long thread here where several of us have discussed getting things to work in Windows 7. I have Win7 and SC4Mapper does work but you need:
"but for SC4M you have to move your Documents  folder to some which doesn't have a \U in it, because in Vista the path is C:\Users\Documents."
Althought that references Vista, Win7 also uses that path for the documents folder.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

MattShizzle

How do you do that? I'm about as non-computer savvy as a person can get.

thingfishs

there is just no asking this guy a simple question  ;)
Once again I present a tutorial given to me as a personal reply by resident mapping legend, dobdriver. This time in regards to getting SC4Mapper to work with windows 7:

"Yeah both mapper and terraformer work in windows 7,

You'll need gdiplus.dll and msvcp71.dll, these go in c:\windows\system32 and can be found here http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?gdiplus and http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcp71
Look in the grey box at the bottom right hand side where it say free download. There's a lot of other links and crap on the pages.

Also you'll need to install directx 9 and this can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?familyId=0cef8180-e94a-4f56-b157-5ab8109cb4f5&displayLang=en
This is still necessary even though windows 7 has dx11, they're not the same animal and mapper requires dx9, it will not wipe out dx11.

Lastly you'll have to move My Documents out of users to the root of c:\ . This cannot be done by drag 'n drop
Make a new folder  C:\My Documents
Then right click the original my docs and choose properties and somewhere (gets a bit wishy washy here as I only have windows 7 at work) will be an option to move, select the new C:\My Documents and click all the oks'
This is because the program has a drama with u's and I think n's in the address

This is for the 32bit version I haven't tried it out on the 64bit version yet."

good luck  :thumbsup:

NSsoldier

What Thingfishs is trying to say peeps... is...

This is intended for Windows 7, 32-bit... I don't know know if this applies for any other OS.

Follow these directions at your own risk, I explained them in a way that a 5th grader could figure it out so I assume you guys can figure it out.

1. Go to "C:\" drive...
2. Click "Users"...
3. Right click "My Document"...
4. Select the "Properties" button...
5. Select the "Location" tab at the top of the page...
6. Select the "Move" button in the middle of the page...
7. Type "C:\My Document"... (Now don't be an idiot and include the "" marks either, the computer doesn't know what that means)
8. Then press the "Apply" button located at the bottom of the window.
9. Select "Yes" to any messages that pop up regardless of what you think you know of computers.
10. Now you wait for the files to complete it's transfer, should take a few minutes depending on how much junk you have on your PC.
11. Press the "Ok" button and close all windows...

Now if you go back to the Start Menu and select "Computer" you should have a "My Documents" in the C:\ drive now instead of in the C:\Users.

Final step...
12. Unzip whatever files you downloaded and needed to look at this info for into the C:\My Documents folder that you just moved, and don't move it back to C:\Users... It's perfectly fine where it is.

Hope this helped...

Jason Steel

MOREOPTIONS

Hello, I am also having the same problem with Vista!!!   the Dir4ections for the DLL files on the site is saying windows/system folder.  do I need to post the two DLL's in system32 and system?  next. if I move all the Documents in the User folder to MY Documents. will my sc4d still work.. I havent tryed it yet. as am still trying to get all my plug ins in the right order and with Cleanitol. It's getting there... lol.  well.. thank you for any tipps. God Bless

MattShizzle

Thank you so much NSsoldier! That works and I can use it again! I wish I could add rep to you but don't see how,  &apls

MattShizzle

Also, I have 64 bit and it worked for me.

FLarsen

I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but there are a bunch of links pointing to it and a new thread would most likely not be seen by people coming here via links.

Do not move the documents folder, that's just a waste. All you need to do is fool SC4 Mapper into using the Windows XP style path:

- Start notepad.
- Write on the first line: set USERPROFILE=%USERPROFILE:Users=Documents And Settings%
- Write on the second line: SC4Mapper.exe

Save this as "something.bat". You can name it whatever you want, but it MUST end with .bat, not .bat.txt or anything like that. Also, you have to save it in the same folder as SC4Mapper.exe

Now just doubleclick on that file and it should work.

Unlike moving the documents folder, this makes no permanent changes to your computer.

Monkson

maza1982

FLarsen,

Perfect Simple & Elegant with no need to download a .dll file which can do more harm than good...works perfectly for Win7 64bit.

Thanks a bunch.

aintnorock

I ran across this thread, created the .bat file, but when I run it, all I get is a NHP Banner Logo that flashes briefly, then nothing.  I'm running Windows 7 32 bit

Thanks for any suggestions,

Carl

etkirsch

Carl --

Had the same problem with Windows 7, 64-bit. 

Solved after I switched off running the SC4 exe in compatibility mode (i.e., right click the SC4 Mapper.exe, click on the Compatibility tab and uncheck any compatibility mode you have set-up).

-- ETK

aintnorock

Quote from: etkirsch on November 06, 2011, 11:37:16 AM
Carl --

Solved after I switched off running the SC4 exe in compatibility mode (i.e., right click the SC4 Mapper.exe, click on the Compatibility tab and uncheck any compatibility mode you have set-up).

-- ETK

This didn't work.  There were no compatibility boxes checked.

mike3775

Quote from: aintnorock on November 11, 2011, 03:17:08 PM
Quote from: etkirsch on November 06, 2011, 11:37:16 AM
Carl --

-- ETK

This didn't work.  There were no compatibility boxes checked.

same here.  I gave up trying  lol

Simcoug

This fix did work for me.  I have Windows 7 64bit - Make sure you open SC4M by double clicking on the .bat file you created.  I thought it wasn't working until I carefully read the fix and I realized I was still trying to start it by using the .exe file. (which gives you the banner, and then nothing)

SOCL

Quote from: Simcoug on December 05, 2011, 09:51:24 AM
This fix did work for me.  I have Windows 7 64bit - Make sure you open SC4M by double clicking on the .bat file you created.  I thought it wasn't working until I carefully read the fix and I realized I was still trying to start it by using the .exe file. (which gives you the banner, and then nothing)
That solved in exact for me, mate!

I do love how this thread read like a good mystery novel: it kept me guessing, frustrated I was, until the very end, at which point I found the resolution.  Bloody brilliant!

ideal

Thanks all for the posts: these run great.
The solution with notepad is really elegant &apls

rhino

This works spot on  &apls &apls &apls &apls

thank you

I think this should be made a sticky. It took me an hour to find this and solve my problem

EDIT: Mod Comment

I've made this a sticky
   :)

rhino

Nice one catty  &apls &apls

I do think members will find this useful.

Thank you.

Clive