• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

sc4 and bat problem

Started by mike 721, January 26, 2017, 07:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike 721

HI there,nee some help over here.I downloaded the bat installer,but when i want to run it the installe tells me that sc4 is not installed on my pc,how is that possible,i play sc4 everyday.

mgb204

The installer is looking for two conditions to be met, otherwise it will throw up this error. The first is that SC4 exists on your PC, more specifically that the main game .exe exists at the location specified in the registry. So if you've moved it from the location originally installed, that would give the error you are seeing.

The second condition relates to a "checksum" which is used to verify that the main .exe has not been modified in any way. If it has, i.e. use of NoCD cracks, a non-genuine version of the game etc, SC4 BAT will not install. However, if are using the Origin edition of SC4, that will always fail this check also. In their wisdom, when EA finally patched the Origin version they were selling, they modified the .exe and thus the checksum. So when SC4BAT reads it, it comes up as invalid. Sadly, only EA can fix this problem, they need to update the SC4 BAT installer to recognise their altered version of SC4. This however isn't going to happen, when asked, their support simply deny that SC4BAT is an official EA application. The only work-around involves using another copy of the game (usually the old discs if you had/kept them). You need to completely uninstall the Origin edition, install the CD version, Install SC4 BAT (which will now validate), then remove the CD version and re-install the Origin edition once more.

Just to highlight the ridiculousness of this problem, every other digital edition on sale works just fine with SC4BAT. Yes, Origin have the worst, least compatible version of SC4 (their own product) on sale.