• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

romualdillo's little BATs & Problems

Started by romualdillo, May 21, 2014, 09:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddonquixote

I always nearly fall off my chair when I see the amount of work you put into these. Really excellent work  ;D
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

manga rivotra

I looked on all the translators on the Internet, but I wasn't able to find any word to say how much your work is accurate, realistic and incredibly BEAUTIFUL&apls &apls &apls
You are a true master, and now you have a new fan of your work  :)
So I have to Thank you, you make my day better  :thumbsup:

c.p.

WOW!!!  :o People use the word "stunning" a lot, but this literally and genuinely is stunning.  It's beyond amazing to think that this is your first BAT project (unless I am mistaken?) &apls

Wow, that's really gorgeous. It's also great to see how much effort you've put into your work to make your buildings slope-tolerant. And adding Sims to the backyards, that's also something I've always missed with most lots, be it by Maxis or custom developers. Already looking forward to its release :)

vester

Not sure if I can find any words that hasn't been used in this thread.

So will use CPs word: This "genuinely is stunning"

Looking forward to see this used in MDs.  :thumbsup:

FlyHigh

Your textures look quite in-line with SimCity 3k's and early 2000's graphics. How are you rendering the models?
>>> Maxwell R. Black <<<

Simcoug

Have I mentioned how much I'm looking forward to using these amazing props?   :thumbsup:
The night views look especially neat with those light cones... almost like we've been taken back to another time.

FrankU

Hi romualdillo,

I forgot to watch your progress for a while. Not becaue I disliked the results, but because, well, I am not really interested in the type of buildings you were making. It's just that they are not my style and I will probably never use them. Nontheless I always thought they were and are gorgeous.
But now I saw all the small backyard props like the laundry lines, the sheds, greenhouses and all your flower beds. They are fantastic! They are great! Amazing.... Sorry. I just let myself go.

No really. I agree wit the others.

I have one request.... Another one you say? Yes, everyone always has requests. When you show something there is always someone who has another idea. And if you like the idea you even might use it. So that is totally up to you.

My request would be: could you make the flower beds without the planters? In that case I might use them for making a set of flower farm fields. Especially if you could add some shrubs without the blossoms, because then I could make them seasonal.

Frank

noahclem

It's just amazing how well this has all come together and how great a job you've done on all the details. I'm super-happy for you being able to get such an enormous project to the point that it is today--it's an incredible accomplishment  :o

Unconstantean

romualdillo

:o How many comments!!! I'll need some time to answer all of them!!  :D

art128: Thank you!!!

carlfatal: Thank you!! I hope so!  ;D

kelis: Thank you!! Well, a project like this is never finished, but I think (and hope) I've finished the R$ set.

Edvarz: Thank you!! I started BATting because I wanted to have this kind of low-density urban houses, and there were only a few on the internet. I tried to do them as international as possible, I mean, do them so they could match all the Spanish-speaking countries.

reddonquixote: Thank you!!!

manga rivotra: Thank you!!! You're too kind!!  :D

c.p: Thank you!!! Yes, this is my first BAT project, but it has taken more than a year to complete, and I had a lot of help from the other members of the community. If you look my first posts, you'll see the evolution of my work, and how much the comments have helped.

11241036: Thank you!!! I hope it's soon available!!!

vester: Thank you!!!

FlyHigh: I make the models with sketch-up and the textures with photoshop. Then I render the models with the old gmax, so the textures look not so neat as the 3dsmax ones. I tried to render my models with it, but my computer was too slow to run the program with high-poly models.

Simcoug: Thank you!! Hmm, I think you've mentioned it once or twice, but I'm not sure...  :P The light cones look fantastic, but that's Maarten's (Mandelsoft) work. They match perfectly with the atmosphere I'm trying to reproduce.

FrankU: Thank you!!! I'm glad you like the props, and I'll add the plants and orchards without planters to the set (That's what I've been doing lately). I hope you like them, and I'm sure you'll put them in good use.

noahclem: Thank you!!!

Unconstantean: Thank you!!!

As I said before, I want to thank you all for all your help and advice. Sometimes it was a bit frustrating to repeat everything so many times, but I really think that the result worth it:

From this:

To this:

Now, as always, I'll need your help to solve some questions:

1. My first prop pack will have a dependency (Girafe's cypresses). I think it's not normal, but I had to create my own props with his models to add them to my families. Other thing I have to comment is that I've modded my tree props to reduce pollution (-1 air pollution, 5 tiles radius. I tried to do the same with the water pollution, but sparkles appeared).

2. I think I need testers. There are a lot of props, and perhaps I've missed something. If someone is interested please send me a P.M. with your e-mail, and I'll send you the prop pack and the lots via wetransfer (simple version, without street props).

3. I'm sure I'll need help to upload the archives. I don't know if an install.exe is necessary, but I've never done something like that. Any kind of help or piece of advice about that will be welcomed.

And I think that's all...

I've been improving the textures of the R$$ houses. The red and green houses in the middle have new roof tiles and facades. I hope you like them!!

Simcoug

The difference between your early models and what you finally arrived at is amazing!  This project has come a long, long way and you should be really proud of the final result  :thumbsup:
For question #1, its not common, but it's not unheard of either.  Creating new prop exemplars to include prop families is something I have done on a number of occasions.  As long as you still cite the original models as a dependency you will be fine.  As for the pollution reducing properties, I think that is also quite common (I know Maxis trees fall in that category).
Regarding an upload, I don't believe installers are required and I would actually prefer just a standard zip file.  Just my 2 cents. 

FrankU

Hi romualdillo,

Yes, I agree with Simcoug. Your work has become outstanding.

And to add to the question #1: in the past I also created a lot of props in order to be able to put them into prop families. You can download these from the STEX, but I am using them less and less. There is a technique that takes a bit more time, but is more versatile: the prop variation technique. You can read about it in this tutorial by Smoncrie.
In the beginning it looks like a lot of work, but if you make a list of props you use more often it can become very versatile and quick... and you can vary on every instance... and you do not need extra prop exemplars... and.... you don't need to ask for a prop family range. Lots of advantages!

Question #2: Sorry, but I don't have time to test for you.

Question #3: Uploading is not very difficult. But one thing: please add one or two nice images. Either in the readme or as separate files. Especially on the STEX I see a lot of (mostly older) uploads without any images. Hard to say what it contains once the file is on my disk....
And an installer? I never make one. Better not!

art128

Indeed that's quite some fantastic progress between the result now and when you first started. You've come a long way. :)

For your questions I'll just answer the n°3. Making an installer really depends on if you want one or not. IMO they're not worth the time and effort taken to create them and most of the time it's way easier to install something without an installer than with. I'm personally against them.
As FrankU said, for the upload include several pictures of the content, it'll help a lot.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Great progress, it has been a pleasure to watch it so far :)

As for your questions:

#1: Looks like FrankU's suggestion is quite a good alternative to prop families, there's nothing that I could add. Unfortunately, I also can't help you with the sparkles issue.
#2: Please check your PM's a little later.
#3: I also wouldn't bother if you upload just a .zip-file.

seraf

It's amazing what you achieved :) One can build a neighborhood using just your BATs :) And the BATs themselves are very nicely done  &apls  &apls  &apls

vortext

Really nice to see the comparison pics, you improved a lot (understatement of the year  :D). As for your questions:

1) iirc a missing prop in a family simply won't get picked by the game, so I would list Girafe's pine as a dependency to the lots themselves, instead of a dependency to the proppack. Or alternatively, in case I'm mistaken, you could include the family exemplars with the lots, and have the prop exemplars for the single props in the pack.

2) I don't mind have a look over the lots & props. Also, please do include the street props in your pack!  ;)

3) a zip file is just fine.

Lastly: two story buildings!  :bnn:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

belfastsocrates

I love the new models, the green framed enclosed veranda/porch is just lovely!
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

carlfatal

What should I say? I liked this project from beginning on, and the result is simply outstanding.  &apls &apls &apls

To your questions: The first one seems to be obsolete - one dependency, especially such a common one shouldn´t be a problem. Testing - well I am playing in software modus on a very slow machine. I don´t think, I would be the right one. And yes, I am also happy with a simple zip. Installers are overrated...  :D

Well done, sets like this will help to keep SC4 alive!  :thumbsup:

reddonquixote

Loving the night windows. All the houses look so cosy  ;D
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.