• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Signage Piece Mod (SPM)--Now SCoPE (Signage and Cosmetic Piece Extension)

Started by Tarkus, April 06, 2008, 08:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A200

Here are some images of Australian road signs, if that helps  :satisfied:

Could this be used before tunnels?

Other signs:

Before toll booths?

Speed signs

Hope these help  &hlp
Lachlan

j-dub

Basically what this mod amounts too is people doing their own signs and adding them to a prop family, once available. Those round circle speed signs will be taken care of. However, those highway signs, if you really want to mimic these photos, due to how some are positioned, some of those may need to be stand alone. Informative signs, since they are exclussive a certain area unlike traffic signs, those are usually separate lotted, especially signs hanging on an overpass, or in the middle divider of a highway. Those have been done by overhanging props. The speed zone sign, and tunnel warning sign on the other hand would be traffic regularity signs.

danny11111

cubby420

Well danny11111 I'm not quite sure how progress is coming, since the last post before yours was about a year and half ago. Still though, its certainly not necessary or in good etiquette to demand mods be released. As someone who is completely lost when it comes to creating even the most simple mods, I appreciate the hard work people do on their own time throughout this community to bring excellent content to us.

Tarkus

The Signage Pieces are still planned, though this thread has been inactive as there's been nothing new to show.  I've had a relatively stable working prototype for a long time now.  However, it's taken a back set to my other projects (RHW, NWM, TuLEPs, and pinch-hitting for several others), primarily because there's been logistical/organizational/design things that have really prevented the SPM from being viable for public release during that time.  Namely:

1) how to make things user-friendly, and in particular, trying to find a balance between the undesirable extremes of an overload of puzzle pieces or overloaded prop families

2) having an appropriate repertoire of signs (particularly on the Euro end)

3) figuring out how to distribute those signs in relation to the SPM itself.

There has already been some initiative to get things going again behind closed doors and those issues mentioned above are in the process of being worked out right now, fortunately.

-Alex

kbieniu7

Last time I propose making a puzzel piece, putting near the road (instead of ON the road). I also showed roadsigns (this topic) I made, that maybe could be used in it. There's a lot of models, but I think just few of them could be modded to this form in order not to overload as Tarkus said. Namely:

-Speed limits
-Curves (left/right)
-Passing forbidden
-End of limits
-Railroad Crossing
-Stop/Yield
-No entrance
-Builded area/Unbuilded area
-Roundabout
-Highway/End of highway
-Steep hill (downwards/upwards)

Some of the rest could be added in other mods, e.g "Stop"/"Yield" and "Priority Road" on intersections, "Railroad crossing"/"Tramway crossing" on rail/tram crossings, "Pedestrain crossing" on lots with zebras.  :)
And the next rest would be just as props.
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Tarkus

A little thread necromancy here . . . :D

At any rate, after some discussion with some colleagues in the transit modding and sign-making communities, I'm looking to revive this project again after the next NAM/RHW/NWM release cycle.  I already started on the reimplementation some time ago, and it's looking like there will be a setup involving multiple pieces for each network, selectable through Home/End rotations, so that the random prop families don't become aggravatingly large. 

I should also add, we're renaming the project to SCoPE--Signage and Cosmetic Piece Extension.

I'll be back with more details in awhile.

-Alex

TJ1

Ryan B.

Quote from: Tarkus on July 12, 2011, 11:32:27 PM
A little thread necromancy here . . . :D

At any rate, after some discussion with some colleagues in the transit modding and sign-making communities, I'm looking to revive this project again after the next NAM/RHW/NWM release cycle.  I already started on the reimplementation some time ago, and it's looking like there will be a setup involving multiple pieces for each network, selectable through Home/End rotations, so that the random prop families don't become aggravatingly large. 

I should also add, we're renaming the project to SCoPE--Signage and Cosmetic Piece Extension.

I'll be back with more details in awhile.

-Alex

I look forward to helping out!  :)

jeremy2

Im sure custom signs for each country will always be wanted, but has anyone thought about creating standard signs for Sim City 4 as a whole?  Such signs could be direction specific rather then location, ive seen highway signs on the STEX that indicated something like "City West" or "Downtown".  locations like that and others are easily replicated in all Simcities. Im sure this concept would open the door to some very creative signage designed perfectly for all or most of the puzzle peices used. ;D

jcluvzgamez

I will take a burger and NAM. Yes I would like RHW with that. Oh and NWM with SAM topping for dessert.

Tarkus

It went on hiatus.  It may get revived at some point, but I don't know when that will be.

Thread closed for the time being.

-Alex