• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Railroad crossings and other traffic props

Started by jondor, May 31, 2011, 02:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fgossage

Hey guys, first post. I look forward to being a part of the community!

I usually strongly refrain from trying to make any requests during my starting period in a forum community, but I'm in research mode... new to the game... because I not only want to play around, but I'd like to eventually be able to contribute to the community... and while doing research and going through this thread, I was struck with an idea...

According to the latest MUTCD (2009 edition), all passive railroad crossings (with a 10 year grace period, from the time of the writing) must have a yield sign or stop sign to accompany the crossbuck. Personally, I think the yield sign is a bit repetitive since the crossbuck is essentially a yield sign, but there are sometimes situations that really require a stop sign at a passive grade crossing. Especially for those passive angled crossings on pavement, would it be possible to have an option to place a stop sign on the post with the crossbuck, under the "track number" sign?

Example:
Fred Gossage
Pell City, Alabama

jondor

It would, and I already happen to have a suitable sign created (though not yet released).  A yield sign would be a snap to add as well.  I'll be sure to include these as options in a future version of the prop set.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

fgossage

Quote from: jondor on November 06, 2011, 07:35:23 PM
It would, and I already happen to have a suitable sign created (though not yet released).  A yield sign would be a snap to add as well.  I'll be sure to include these as options in a future version of the prop set.

You are awesome! Thank you for all the work you've put into this!
Fred Gossage
Pell City, Alabama

Enslaved Viking

Wow, they look very cool, thanks for all that hard work, I have not returned back to the Maxis version.
Love Cats. Love Pokemon. Love SimCity 4. Love Pacific Northwest where I live

fgossage

Jondor,

:)

A few questions came to mind today while reading through this thread....

1. When you eventually get around to releasing your customization application for this mod set, will we be able to choose to use the modern crossbuck in place of the older version on those dirt/gravel surfaces that cross single railroad tracks? You did an excellent job rendering those older crossbucks, but folks that want a more modern city layout might not be crazy about using them. I know we're quite a ways before we have to imminently worry about that, but I thought it would be good to go ahead and throw the thought in your direction.

2. Alex (Tarkus) found a way around the one-way issue in the TuLEPS project by how the puzzle pieces and stop points within those were created. I know you've already found a way to lower and raise the gates; so, there's no use in reinventing the wheel there.... but is there a possibility that you could use that same principle to get traffic to stop?

3. When RAM is finished with the planned 3-track and 4-track railroads, do you have plans for incorporating those into this project as well (whenever that may be)?

A couple of notes...

1. For some of the folks that want a Midwestern layout and/or an older layout, here's an idea for an older highway flashing light signal...

This is the Griswold Rotating Banner Crossing signal. When inactive, the stop sign banner is rotated perpendicular to traffic, out of sight; but when activated, the stop sign rotates around to face traffic as the lights flash. There are VERY FEW of these still active in the USA, and since the presence of a stop sign at an actively signalized grade crossing goes against recent and current MUTCD guidelines, the stop signs are being taken out. However, for the folks that are trying to do a not-so-modern city, they may really want these for industrial non-gated crossings... especially the model railroad fans.

This isn't really a request for me, directly, because I'm a fan of more modern city layouts... but while I'm still new to everything, presenting ideas to the community is the best way I know to help out... until I have mastered the creation of some of these game modification elements that you guys are so excellent at constructing.

2. I'll be sending you a PM soon concerning a longer-term project idea I've had. It would be a "sister" project to this one... and would also answer a request you had earlier in the thread about signalized crossings located in close proximity to intersections.

Thanks for your time!
Fred Gossage
Pell City, Alabama

jondor

Here's a few answers:

1. Yes, you will be able to choose to use the modern crossbucks instead of the older ones or vice-versa.

2. In order to get the traffic to stop at RHW and OWR crossings, the same SIP principle will have to be applied, it will require a puzzle piece crossing with a different checktype that actually supports stop points; probably road.

3. Yes.  All the ortho props are designed with a 6m offset parallel to the road so that they can be overhung onto adjacent tiles to accommodate the wider railway.

And some counter-notes:

1. I actually have a half-finished Griswold Rotating Banner signal already.  The cutout for the stop sign was giving me a little trouble and I need to get back on that.  They weren't just used in the midwest (although the majority of them were).  The Northern Pacific used them all the way into Washington state and two of them (sans stop signs) still guard a crossing in Tacoma.  Although not for long as they stand at what is currently the end of the Sounder line which is going to be extended.  There's also one with a working stop sign left in California.  It used to be two, but the other was run down by a truck a few years back. :(

Mine will have the option of both the modern red and white stop sign or the older federal yellow.

2. Replied.  :thumbsup:
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

SWFan89

Hi Jondor!

Will there be a second phase for the railroad crossings? We haven't heard any news of it since the first pack has been released with the NAM 30.

To me it seems there are still few things to fix: as you can see in the following image, the old maxis railroad crossings are still appearing time to time:

By the way, Happy New Year!  ;)

jondor

Eventually, when I have time to work on them again.  All my SC4 related projects are on hold at the moment.  RL is just too busy for me.  Phase 2 is planned to be diagonal props covering DxO and DxD roadXrail crossings.

Wthrwyz

I don't want to derail ::) this thread again, but I thought I'd pass along that I fixed my issue with mrtnrln's traffic lights...and my z-fighting issues all together.  Here's all the gory details if anyone cares.  ;)
Wthrwyz: It's "weather wise." You see, it has to fit on a license plate...
Oh, just call me Nathan.

jondor

*sneak sneak sneak*

I don't remember who requested it, but someone had asked for side lights for crossings near intersections.

You also might notice that I've found a much nicer and more realistic metal texture.  As soon as I update the gate textures to be a little more realistic as well and possibly tweak a few more things, I'll be getting started on the long overdue diagonal props.  ;)

Ryan B.

Whoa, that's pretty nifty!  Welcome back - certainly can't wait to see what else is up your sleeve.

jondor

What's up my sleeve right now is some new textures for the gate mechanisms:

I dimmed the mast texture just a tad, but because the mast and the signs would be shiny and reflectorized in real life, they'll stay fairly bright.

jondor

One more (probably the last) little change to the ortho props, I think I'm pretty happy with them now.  Let's see if you can spot the difference:

(And the file name isn't going to help you.  :P)

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

jondor

They do indeed, although I think I'm going to edit the texture slightly to highlight the edges better against the backing plate.

j-dub

Dang that's the stuff. They're looking a lot more realistic now.

jondor

Hmm..... What's this now?

I haven't added the HD textures to the signs yet, but rest assured, it will happen.  :thumbsup:

jeremy2

WOW, im in shock, im the one who inquired about the side light possibility. Unfortunately might be a while until I play simcity 4 again since my hard drive with many many plugins as well as bats and other things has died...this seems to be a common problem for me  &sly. Very awesome though!

jondor

I knew someone had mentioned it, but apparently I didn't quite make it back to page 9 to find it.  In any case it stuck in my mind and I happen to drive past two intersections almost daily with side lights like that.

Thanks to the TuLEP pieces not changing T21s when zoning around them changes (and being designed to be placed near intersections), it's pretty easy to define two T21s for each piece and let people replop if they get the wrong one the first time.

Draggable crossings are dicier since they can change back and forth at the drop of a hat, but it'll go into the eventual config program anyway.

metarvo

Nice work on the diagonal crossing props, Jondor!  I'm looking forward to seeing the HD version.  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.