• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

Quote from: j-dub on May 17, 2011, 12:44:15 PM
As for Shadow Assassins, handy work, I do not exactly follow the open dashed line all the way. While I don't want to cross international waters, from what I have to go through in the US, this dashed line all the way to the last minute just seems like an accident waiting to happen, if that does in fact mean you can still cross the lane line, US uses solid lines, since they don't want someone cutting others off at the last minute.

Here in Australia, where the textures are kind of for, the broken line does not normally go all the way to the crossing, though there are isolated occurrences of that.

The broken line goes all the way to the pedestrian crossing due to a lack of Puzzle Pieces.
We only have one variant (in the Avenue ones anyway *hint hint* ) that we can override and in Australia usually the bulk of the line is broken (usually only about last 5-10m is solid, though the length varies by state), not solid, unlike the Standard textures.

I've been considering doing something like this for RHW transitions (making all the width transitions have broken lines, lane differentiation on a Motorway never, ever, ever just end like that in Australia) for a while now. I may do it eventually :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Part of the reason I haven't done much on the OWR TuLEPs is also due to alignment/intersection geometry issues.  I've been needing to do more research on how intersections involving One-Way Roads with turning lanes work on this front.  Typically speaking, something like this, to borrow your example:

raises a lot of questions in an RHD context.  Maybe it's the armchair engineer in me being picky (:D), but a "through-left"/"right" setup would typically imply an OWR-1 being on the opposite side of the intersection.  Because of the way the game's networks align due to the tile system, there would have to be a mid-intersection "jog" in the lane, which is, at best, slightly awkward.  This does happen from time to time, and especially with OWRs, but usually, it's more often with wider networks rather than an OWR-2.  

It's also a little bit weird if there's an OWR-2 on both side . . . one of the lanes goes away and then comes back . . . while it does happen, again, it's not ideal.

That setup would also be a total no-go for a setup in which a Road was on the other side . . . the "through-left" lane is directly aligned with the Road lane going the opposite direction.  That just doesn't work from an engineering standpoint.  (In an LHD context, however, it'd be an absolutely ideal alignment.)

-Alex

ivo_su

I am able to do textures for all networks including those of NWM but for the serious obstacles to be addressed by  some of  you guys. I want to reach and help anyone willing to work on it but unfortunately  few are members of NAM who prefer TuLEP's or NWM to RHW.

Ivo

GDO29Anagram

@Ivo: I wouldn't be so sure of that. Personally, I use EVERY available NAM Plugin (CAN-AM, GLR, TuLEPs; RHW, NWM, SAM, HSR, NAM RCM, RRP). Besides, if the NAM Team didn't want TuLEPs, they wouldn't be made available in the first place.

@Alex: Ivo's OWR TuLEP could be an OWR-1 TuLEP with an offset right-turn lane (The texture itself just needs to be offset). This might be a second RHW right here, only you're dealing with more branches. Also, if Ivo's example were expanded so that left, straight, and right have a dedicated lane, it would be compatible with OWRs 1 and 3, like how the AVE2/TLA3 TuLEPs are compatible with Road (MAVE2). A few special transitions are needed for that, though.

But then, how does one manage the jump from OWR4 to OWR3? (I guess that's what you mean by the lane-jog conundrum...) Could this be solved by offset TuLEPs/OWRs?

(EDIT: Post #237, a very special number to me.)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on May 17, 2011, 07:27:13 PM
@Alex: Ivo's OWR TuLEP could be an OWR-1 TuLEP with an offset right-turn lane (The texture itself just needs to be offset).

Precisely what I was thinking . . . in fact, a prototype texture I did almost exactly one year ago takes that approach:

Of course, in thinking further, I realized some of the dual-lane MIS TuLEPs designs Vince has been working with also have a similar "jog" in them . . . of course, that sort of jog is more common for offramps--mainly as very few motorists take the "thru" option where a ramp meets a surface street at a diamond interchange. 

As mentioned, the OWR-3-to-2 situation does, in some circumstances, have a jog in it . . . SE 12th and Madison in Portland is a prime example.

But then, how does one manage the jump from OWR4 to OWR3? (I guess that's what you mean by the lane-jog conundrum...) Could this be solved by offset TuLEPs/OWRs?

There'd probably have to be a curve somewhere, either pre-intersection, leading into an offset setup, or post-intersection, correcting the "offset OWR-3" into a regular OWR-3.

-Alex

ivo_su

@Ivo: I wouldn't be so sure of that. Personally, I use EVERY available NAM Plugin (CAN-AM, GLR, TuLEPs; RHW, NWM, SAM, HSR, NAM RCM, RRP). Besides, if the NAM Team didn't want TuLEPs, they wouldn't be made available in the first place.

You probably use all the developments of the NAM team but overall 90% of the members are focusing efforts on RHW and that this project is so advanced stage of development. However, my view is that things must go evenly and not RHW lead with two - three laps before the other projects. See just how serious is the gap between the HSRP .... if highways continue to develop these rates will hardly be able to catch up sometime.

Ivo

Shadow Assassin

QuoteYou probably use all the developments of the NAM team but overall 90% of the members are focusing efforts on RHW and that this project is so advanced stage of development.

We're doing this on our free time, remember?

So that means we're naturally going to focus on things that we want to focus on. I've added a few new TuLEP pieces for the RHW, mainly to improve flexibility. I saw a gap, I filled it. I don't use OWRs much so I haven't thought about TuLEPs from that end. A lot of puzzle pieces begin as a spur-of-the-moment thing, I know Alex has done many of these pieces, particularly with some of his custom TuLEP jobs.

There are a lot of things that could be done, yes, but it's a matter of time. And a lot of us don't necessarily have the time to do thousands of pieces (perhaps if this was a full-time job, it wouldn't be a problem  ::))

There are actually a few more things that need to be done with a few NAM networks, like elevated versions, for instance, but these will come soon.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Gringamuyloca

Ivo.. our dear friend.

Such is the nature of a volunteer community... each person is contributing their time for free... because (hopefully) they enjoy what they are creating and amazingly are willing to share and SUPPORT their creations!

I believe if we remember to be thankful for all that we do have... it is easier to be less bitter for what we do not have.... if it was not for the awesome custom content creators, you would not be able to make your request... never mind feel bitter that others do not share your priorities.

I am feeling a little defensive of this community... so few give so many so much! Can we please be grateful instead of complaining?
Tamara

GDO29Anagram

@Ivo: Personally as an Associate, I feel like I should take part in a little bit of everything.

Though it's true that some things aren't that caught up (STR, HSR, SAM), I would think that it's because there's LITERALLY no one to keep up with them, because they have their own things to do, not because some other NAM project is on higher priority. Like what SA said.

(I spent my Spring Break moving, and lost Internet connection for several days afterwards; Would I have been able to keep up? Think of what the other NAMites have to go through for themselves...)

And Ivo, have you forgotten what Tarkus says? "We like to surprise people." It's just that I don't have as much cards up my sleeve as Alex or the others do.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Nego

Since today seems to be a great day for releasing TuLEP cosmetic mods, I've decided to create and release my own. ;D
It's available for download on Simtropolis - [link]

Pieces included and their different orientations:

In use:

As you can see, it adds hatching to the transition pieces. Note: it is only compatible with Blue Lightning's cosmetic mod and not Shadow Assassin's mod or the Euro TuLEP mod. A European version can be made if there is enough demand for one.

Just goes to show how (relatively) quick and easy a cosmetic mod and other textures can be made if you put the time and effort into it. :)

MandelSoft

@Nego: No need to make an Euro Version of your mod; that one already contains crosshatching ;)

@Ivo: most NAM members create stuff in their free time, and it's easier to motivate yourself for creating things you're interested in than stuff you don't like that much. For instance, I would never create TLA's.

It's just that most of the NAM Team likes freeways very much. Nonetheless, the NWM also deserved lots of attention even before the release of version 1.0. Remember, the NWM will have diagonals and three new networks in the next version...

And again would like to refer to my puzzle piece creation tutorial [linkie] for those who want to know how you may contribute to our project "$Deal"$

Best,
Maartn
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

riiga

After an evening of modding textures... 

Anything I should change before release?  ::)

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tarkus

I should also add, much as with the RHW and NWM threads, I've added in an "Optional Addons" listing, which includes all the new packages that have been released in the past couple days.  It's really great to see all these new texture mods and such--great work, guys!

-Alex

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

ivo_su

Congratulations to Riga, but why not put arrows on each strip of canvas. I think the arrow forward and  right  will look more beautiful. Otherwise, congratulations  to you and Maarten because without you two from the old  continent, we are lost.

- Ivo

Nego

@Ivo: I'm currently in the process of making a mod that ads through and right arrows to TuLEPs. If you're willing to wait a few hours to a day (at most), you could download that one. I will most likely include a Euro version for this mod, though I'd need to track down some European styled arrows first.

ivo_su

@Nego: Write me a personal message if you need help with textures or tips on how to look layout. Yes I can be patient for not rushing anywhere importantly what is done is useful and beautiful no matter how  slowly  do. End justifies the means were told ahead of time.

Ivo

Exla357

Thanks for the cosmetic thing, that's all I was thinking.

Frankly, I'm quite suprised how 4 letters can start flame war and add two pages to a thread. All my fault lol  :D

Thanks everyone, let's move on.

-Alex

riiga

Quote from: ivo_su on May 18, 2011, 01:46:27 PM
Congratulations to Riga, but why not put arrows on each strip of canvas. I think the arrow forward and  right  will look more beautiful. Otherwise, congratulations  to you and Maarten because without you two from the old  continent, we are lost.

- Ivo
The problem is that there are only two pieces - Arrow left + no arrows and Arrow left + arrow right. If I were to add forward and right arrows to the first one, you wouldn't be able to use it for T-intersections, and if I just added forward arrows it would look weird when there's a right turn (X-intersections).