• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zakuten

There's also been some conflicting stuff from the regulations-- In Illinois, the "ONLY" used to always be used, but now is only for situations where a regular traffic lane becomes a dedicated turn, and in a few cases for emphasis, i.e. a straight ONLY in the rightmost lane when at a one way where the right turn is against traffic, etc.
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

ivo_su

I know that the development of TuLEP's - "Advanced" is a very advanced stage and is planned to include a few new networks. But I would offer to help for future versions of TuLEP's if you need me. I think I can deal with textures of OWR and perhaps MAVE because I already have some experience in this. I have never tried to create Path-s but I guess that there'd be done. I need guidance and help in building the puzzle pieces (because that part seems very difficult). However, I think more people are working on a project more quickly and easily run business.

-Ivaylo (Ivo)

Blue Lightning

For Ohio, the ONLY text is added for only lanes that perform a single turn operation (like this lane must turn right/left), a single straight lane (2 or more and they omit the arrow completely and have dashed lines between the two). Never for straight and turn right/left.

But obviously if we were to implement this it would be completely optional.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

ivo_su

As I said earlier I think will become too ugly a word mark of the asphalt. By the same logic can anyone offer on the asphalt to have signs: "LEFT" "RIGHT", "FORWARD"
There is really no sense in this at least because 95% of the world adopted as a universal marking arrows. Another very significant is that many countries  are too nationalistic  and would not have adopted  language  for marking. However, the largest  and most populous countries in  the world  do not speak  English.
I hope to stop the discussions on  this topic.

Best,
Ivaylo (Ivo)

Blue Lightning

As I would wish to reiterate and explain a little further the last line on my post:
But obviously if we were to implement this it would be completely optional.
And would be done only for those who'd want it, because I do know some who would (ie me, actually)
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

ivo_su

I propose to launch a survey in this case and everyone to share their views.

Ivo

Jack_wilds

...piping in for two cents worth of thought...

It ought to be an optional thing, a 'mod' or 'add-on'... optional for the players discretion to place what, when, or where in thier game play... then to find the folks to step-up and make this happen

Add-on Packages:
text or no text(remove file from sc4 file)
text and/or symbols US, English players
text and/or symbols (non-US, non-English players)
or just symbol packs US and international variations

A choice of options that just needs some one to step up and take on the project

respectfully submitted,

Jack

ivo_su

You know that so many different variants and options will require a lot of work to create additional textures and puzzle pieces. Just when I think and I think a huge amount of work for something that is not popular but after you've decided .... act dealing with meaningless things, provided that there is so much more important work to do.

I do not want to touch in any way any player or creator in my opinion.

- Ivo

GDO29Anagram

@Ivo: Who said they had to be dedicated puzzle pieces? We could just T21 the words onto existing pieces, like Jondor's TLA Arrows, or just change the textures. Even still, this should be optional, even if there's many different T21/Texture-based modifications for the TuLEPs, one could just simply choose what they want, the same way one can pick between Coke and Pepsi, or even go off with neither one. I wouldn't expect them to come with the NAM installers.

Better yet, a set of blank non-SIP TuLEPs for people to customise, like with the Custom FLUPs, and with what I proposed for the RHW CPs.

This is an aesthetic modification that can be brought about without even having to make new dedicated pieces. Remember what they said about the NAM: Aesthetics afterwards, functionality first. (That's not exactly what they said, but it falls in line with their development beliefs.) Once you reach aesthetics, there are too many options to consider, and none are universal.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Nego

I like the idea of having a piece with the word ONLY on it. It's used here in New Jersey (though it seems to be optional as it isn't used in every intersection). Having it would add some realism to the game and TuLEPs. Having it optional would be beneficial, too, so those who don't like/want it can opt. out of having it.

ivo_su

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on May 16, 2011, 02:39:31 PM
@Ivo: Who said they had to be dedicated puzzle pieces? We could just T21 the words onto existing pieces, like Jondor's TLA Arrows, or just change the textures. Even still, this should be optional, even if there's many different T21/Texture-based modifications for the TuLEPs, one could just simply choose what they want, the same way one can pick between Coke and Pepsi, or even go off with neither one. I wouldn't expect them to come with the NAM installers.

Better yet, a set of blank non-SIP TuLEPs for people to customise, like with the Custom FLUPs, and with what I proposed for the RHW CPs.

This is an aesthetic modification that can be brought about without even having to make new dedicated pieces. Remember what they said about the NAM: Aesthetics afterwards, functionality first. (That's not exactly what they said, but it falls in line with their development beliefs.) Once you reach aesthetics, there are too many options to consider, and none are universal.
Yes I agree that there is nothing better than great selection of variants but I do not really understandable how you make it speak with T21. As far as I am aware of at TuLEP's not use T21 a set of puzzle pieces which are assembled (something like a constructor). The whole idea is to have several segments of the intersections and tiles suitable for their networks with traffic lane in different directions. But these pieces are assembled using the method of plop. When using T21 everything is automatic as in Maxi's Avenue and Road. For  that I think will go too much work for something  that is neither functional nor aesthetic too good looking.
And I would say it is better to first make TuLEP's on all networks before they think about variations, etc.

- Ivo

jdenm8

T21s are what puts the streetlights and miscellanea on the side of the road, but it's also able to be used to put stuff on (TLA-3/5 arrows) or under the road (ERHW-4 pylons are put in through T21 exemplar, that's why they have better lighting compared to the road deck).

T21s do work on puzzle pieces, they just have to be applied directly to the piece.
T21s are not my area of expertise though.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

ivo_su

Quote from: jdenm8 on May 16, 2011, 04:04:53 PM
T21s are what puts the streetlights and miscellanea on the side of the road, but it's also able to be used to put stuff on (TLA-3/5 arrows) or under the road (ERHW-4 pylons are put in through T21 exemplar, that's why they have better lighting compared to the road deck).

T21s do work on puzzle pieces, they just have to be applied directly to the piece.
T21s are not my area of expertise though.
Yes I know this very well. T21 is also used in the RHW-6C lighting towers and yet say we wonder how they will  use it  in TuLEP's intersection. However I think that to create ADD or MOD for that "only" dama on asphalt you will need puzzle pieces.

Exla357

Quote from: ivo_su on May 16, 2011, 12:48:00 PM
As I said earlier I think will become too ugly a word mark of the asphalt. By the same logic can anyone offer on the asphalt to have signs: "LEFT" "RIGHT", "FORWARD"
There is really no sense in this at least because 95% of the world adopted as a universal marking arrows. Another very significant is that many countries  are too nationalistic  and would not have adopted  language  for marking. However, the largest  and most populous countries in  the world  do not speak  English.
I hope to stop the discussions on  this topic.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that a simple request for an arrow pointing left would start a flame war. It was just an idea. If nobody wants to do it that's okay, too.

-Alex

zakuten

If you spaced them out enough, it could go like those cosmetic pieces on the RHW, perhaps? I don't mind having the "only" in the next tile if that way it can be modularized, so rather than have a "left-only" piece and a left arrow piece, you could have left-arrow and then an "only" piece, satisfying the non-ONLY users. Or, possibly, when the arrow-style-switching comes, you could use a "US-arrow" variant and "US-arrow+text" variant.
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Blue Lightning

Yeah, I don't understand how this all seemed to blow up (hence why I backed out, I wanted no further part in it).

So what did we learn today?
1. If we ever do add ONLY markings, we keep it OPTIONAL. Meaning, if you don't want to use it, don't select the option. Simple as that ;D
2. They would most likely be applied via T21, though texture replacement is just as feasible.
3. It takes virtually no effort to add such a feature via T21 or texture replacement, and very minimal effort to make a dedicated puzzle piece (its not really that hard to make a basic TuLEP piece like that, at least once you've learned how to).
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Tarkus

Quote from: Blue Lightning on May 16, 2011, 04:17:59 PM
Yeah, I don't understand how this all seemed to blow up (hence why I backed out, I wanted no further part in it).

So what did we learn today?
1. If we ever do add ONLY markings, we keep it OPTIONAL. Meaning, if you don't want to use it, don't select the option. Simple as that ;D
2. They would most likely be applied via T21, though texture replacement is just as feasible.
3. It takes virtually no effort to add such a feature via T21 or texture replacement, and very minimal effort to make a dedicated puzzle piece (its not really that hard to make a basic TuLEP piece like that, at least once you've learned how to).

Sounds like a plan. :thumbsup:

-Alex

ivo_su

Resign have no strength to argue with you more. Obviously you have decided on will wish you success but rather to make arrows OWR and NWM whole network you will be dealing with his American  mark. So I wish you success but do not forget that the U.S. is not the center  of the  universe  and watch as hardly anyone outside the U.S. will use this MOD.

Tarkus

Quote from: ivo_su on May 16, 2011, 04:34:20 PM
Resign have no strength to argue with you more. Obviously you have decided on will wish you success but rather to make arrows OWR and NWM whole network you will be dealing with his American  mark. So I wish you success but do not forget that the U.S. is not the center  of the  universe  and watch as hardly anyone outside the U.S. will use this MOD.

The modifications we're discussing will probably be included in a separate T21 package or as an option in an installer.  The folks who are from international locales or (like myself) are from US states that don't use it won't have to use it.  The amount of modding involved in this sort of package is very limited and will have minimal impact on modding resources and release timelines and it will probably be a strictly low-priority project.  The more "international" TuLEPs stuff will remain the highest priority going forward.

-Alex

ivo_su

Thanks Alex is nice that appears to bring in clarity and I appreciate your position  on the  problem  that occurred. Definitely if I come to America will look to meet with you because you're  a great  guy and you can learn a lot.

Ivo