• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivo_su

Hello, I've a few suggestions for a future release of Tuleps,NAM and NWM I hope you'll consider making such pieces

I'd also like to see some kind of avenues with 3 or 4 lanes with a median in the middle which can be even 3 or 4 tiles wide. I've also another idea - what about 3 or 4 lane roundabouts?
&idea &idea &idea &idea &idea &idea &idea &idea &idea &idea

strucka

I really like your ideas, especially those with multilane roundabouts.

Tarkus

Quote from: jgehrts on July 15, 2010, 01:42:41 PM
Here is said intersection:  http://goo.gl/maps/orQe  I don't think anybody wants to TuLEP-ize that one.  :)

Actually, that one doesn't look too bad.  It's just a 4-way . . . looks like some triple-tile NWM stuff may need to be in place, though. 

We've got some doozies of 5-ways and 6-ways here in Oregon.  Anywhere along Sandy Blvd in Portland . . . and several interchanges with I-105 in Eugene.

Quote from: ivo_su on July 15, 2010, 02:33:16 PM
Hello, I've a few suggestions for a future release of Tuleps,NAM and NWM I hope you'll consider making such pieces

Not bad, though some of the lane drops don't really work well from a traffic engineering/intersection geometry perspective (particularly the first and third ones), so they'd probably end up looking a bit different than what you have.

-Alex

ivo_su

I'd also like to see a roundabout with 6 or even 8 street crossings not only 5 as it is now
:satisfied: %confuso :satisfied: %confuso

Pat

Hey there jgehrts thats Juilen Dubque Bridge intersection off of US 20, i know that area all soo well ;-) My best friend lives in Galena

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Twinsfan14

j-dub

I have seen setups like that in RL. I have one edited similar to that below.

jondor

Quote from: j-dub on July 15, 2010, 08:58:32 AM
What I find interesting near Dubuque, is that intersection with the at least 16 traffic lights on just the one diagonal overhanging pole. Can't remember if thats from the 5 way though, maybe not.

We used to have one of those near here in downtown Beaverton, OR.  In the early 80's they connected the ends of two street level state highways across an existing railroad crossing.  The rails run right through the middle of the intersection, so there are four gates and there was a single gigantic beam that all the traffic lights hung from.

It was taken out a year and a half ago  and replaced with four traditional mast arms because it was in the way of a new spur for the commuter rail line they built.  Ironically only yards away from the second railroad track that was torn out in the 80's so they could build the intersection in the first place.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Tarkus

Quote from: jondor on July 16, 2010, 10:49:00 PM
We used to have one of those near here in downtown Beaverton, OR.  In the early 80's they connected the ends of two street level state highways across an existing railroad crossing.  The rails run right through the middle of the intersection, so there are four gates and there was a single gigantic beam that all the traffic lights hung from.

Yeah, Beaverton-Hillsdale/Farmington (OR-10) and Lombard . . . haven't been through there since they put in the commuter rail, though.  Kind of a bummer that's gone, though they did actually put one in Tigard at Walnut and Tiedeman/Fonner not too long ago . . . that'd be an interesting intersection to TuLEPify . . . ::) 

Twinsfan14, to answer your question, the MAVEs will eventually be getting slip lanes, though I'm unsure how how the intersection geometry will really work out on the intersection part.  I'll put it under consideration and see if I can engineer a feasible design.

-Alex

ivo_su

Quote from: Tarkus on July 15, 2010, 03:01:43 PM
Actually, that one doesn't look too bad.  It's just a 4-way . . . looks like some triple-tile NWM stuff may need to be in place, though. 

We've got some doozies of 5-ways and 6-ways here in Oregon.  Anywhere along Sandy Blvd in Portland . . . and several interchanges with I-105 in Eugene.

Not bad, though some of the lane drops don't really work well from a traffic engineering/intersection geometry perspective (particularly the first and third ones), so they'd probably end up looking a bit different than what you have.

-Alex
Well hopefully in the next rilaiz to turn most of my proposals on the ring junctions and streets and Avenues and mostly turns left and right
if I can help in any way your team will be a pleasure for

jondor

For the next update, I would like to propose the following piece if it isn't already on the drawing board:

Edited from the TLA-3 transition piece and (hopefully) suitable for resizing and fshing. (ie: It's yours to use if you so desire ;D)

Just another little hint of realism, because sometimes there just isn't enough space between those intersections.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

j-dub

You know though, seeing something like that again for avenues would be nice too, but I think the concept works for a fairly basic setup.

jdenm8

Ah Jondor... Many a time I have needed a piece like that...

I hope the NAM team considers it for inclusion.

EDIT: I've just made a mod to fix an annoying little LHD issue with the TuLEP. I have yet to test it, but it should repair the texture mirroring issue on the Road T-Intersection. In other words, the texture remained as the RHD texture, not an LHD texture.

EDIT II: I've tested it in SC4 and it works. If the NAM team would like it, I will be more than happy to provide this tiny fix.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Quote from: jondor on July 20, 2010, 12:34:26 AM
For the next update, I would like to propose the following piece if it isn't already on the drawing board:

Edited from the TLA-3 transition piece and (hopefully) suitable for resizing and fshing. (ie: It's yours to use if you so desire ;D)

Just another little hint of realism, because sometimes there just isn't enough space between those intersections.

Thanks, jondor!  It looks great, is of the proper dimensions, and I think it would make an excellent addition to a future TuLEPs release.   :thumbsup:

-Alex

Moonraker0

I am unsure if this has been asked about before (I searched for "TuLEP crossover" and didn't find anything relevant), but I have a suggestion for future TuLEPs:  with TuLEPs for networks that use existing lanes as turn lanes (such as ones for MAVE-6, I'm guessing), car automata will, as a limitation of the game, stay in the lane they originated in, and when they want to turn left (for example) they'll stay in the right lane until they make the turn, at which point they'll instantly snap to the left lane and disappear.  To possibly alleviate this problem, I think it would be a good idea to have an (optional?) base network transition piece that's pathed so that car automata will make realistic lane changes to the correct lanes at that piece.  I don't know how MAVE-6 TuLEPs will be handled or if this is already planned, but I think it would be a good thing to have.

kabal223

Quote from: Moonraker0 on August 02, 2010, 12:21:33 PM
I am unsure if this has been asked about before (I searched for "TuLEP crossover" and didn't find anything relevant), but I have a suggestion for future TuLEPs:  with TuLEPs for networks that use existing lanes as turn lanes (such as ones for MAVE-6, I'm guessing), car automata will, as a limitation of the game, stay in the lane they originated in, and when they want to turn left (for example) they'll stay in the right lane until they make the turn, at which point they'll instantly snap to the left lane and disappear.  To possibly alleviate this problem, I think it would be a good idea to have an (optional?) base network transition piece that's pathed so that car automata will make realistic lane changes to the correct lanes at that piece.  I don't know how MAVE-6 TuLEPs will be handled or if this is already planned, but I think it would be a good thing to have.

Im doing a rework of all the Maxis and NAM paths to eliminate that problem, I will show the results as soon as my work is finished. Right now I can tell you that the result is amazing, in combination with the persistent automata plugin the cars only disappear when they reach the destination.

For example, I add a few left turn paths to the tuleps, now the automata change lanes before reaching the intersection, very realistic and good for eye candy.

Moonraker0

That's great to hear, kabal223.  I had heard about your mod but didn't know it covered TuLEPs too.

MutantPlatypus

I don't know if this has been answered, but its not in the FAQ, so:  Do TuLEPs eliminate or decrease the intersection effect?  What about slip lanes?  Ideally, slip lanes should reduce the intersection effect for cars making right turns.  Also, do you plan to add extended slip lanes, such that slip lanes can be longer than one tile?  Oooooooh, and you know what would be nice?  Cloverleaves for roads and oneways, so there's no intersection effect at all...  VROOOM!

My town is building a freaky cloverleaf/overpass at the intersection of two MAVE-6s.  I say "freaky" because its not quite a cloverleaf and there will still be a light on one of the roads and... well... here: http://www.arapahoecorridor.com/pubmeeting4/arapahoe_parker_ichg.pdf

NOTE:  If the above post is just one sentence about some inconsistency, bug, or broken link, don't be offended.  I'm posting the info because I assumed it was some minor oversight and want to help you fix it, or I want the information to be available to others who are doing a search for the same problem.  Once the issue is resolved, moderators are encouraged to delete my post.

Venom+Eggs+Lactation=Platypus

Tarkus

Quote from: MutantPlatypus on August 07, 2010, 01:09:46 PM
I don't know if this has been answered, but its not in the FAQ, so:  Do TuLEPs eliminate or decrease the intersection effect?  What about slip lanes?  Ideally, slip lanes should reduce the intersection effect for cars making right turns.  Also, do you plan to add extended slip lanes, such that slip lanes can be longer than one tile?  Oooooooh, and you know what would be nice?  Cloverleaves for roads and oneways, so there's no intersection effect at all...  VROOOM!

It depends on the design of the TuLEP and how it's situated on the tile.  The Avenue TuLEPs will make some difference, as will the slip lanes, as they're shifting the right turn traffic onto a separate tile.  The Road ones not so much, though that will change--the little capacity trick I've been playing around with on some of the NWM networks can also be used on them as well, and will in the near future.

As far as slip extensions, well, there are plans for right turn lanes that hook into the slip lanes, which, given how they're situated, should increase capacity.  With the cloverleaf stuff, with the addition of more MIS interfaces, it might become more feasible on that end, though a pre-fab one is highly unlikely.

-Alex

Tarkus

The main single-lane slip lane piece's path file had an incorrect number of path stanzas listed, causing it to malfunction--a patch is now attached to the "sticky post".  Thanks to wetsom for reporting it.

-Alex