• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RTMT SAM Street Markings

Started by z, March 18, 2009, 03:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How should RTMT pavement markings be handled for SAM streets with nonstandard surfaces?

They should be handled the same as other roadways
13 (31.7%)
They should never have any markings on them
4 (9.8%)
Users should be able to select a separate option for these streets
24 (58.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

z

Current SAM streets largely have non-standard surfaces (which, of course, is the point of SAM).  Currently, only the asphalt streets have smooth surfaces.  For all the other SAM streets, what should be done about the standard street markings (BUS STOP and/or SUBWAY)?

mightygoose

well in any country the law will dictate that the markings a re standard compliant, aalthough i think you could get away with the grey gravel and dirt textures not having markings. the red herringbone etc and grey paved however should had standard compliant markings.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

deathtopumpkins

Well I would think that we could still "paint" the words on the pavement like we have in the past, even on brick. Though I would leave the dirt and gravel ones without. ;)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

cogeo

Yeah, gravel and dirt streets don't really provide a solid surface to paint the markings on, and markings on such streets would not look realistic. But all other types (even cobbled streets) are urban, and I think they should be handled the same as other roadways. They could use the same textures as common streets (simpler implementation) or separate textures (with different IDs); in the latter case the "customisation option" could be including or not including a texture/marking for SAM in the markings datfile, nothing more complicated (the texture could be a copy of the one used for streets, only with a different ID).

z

Quote from: cogeo on March 18, 2009, 04:25:16 PM
Yeah, gravel and dirt streets don't really provide a solid surface to paint the markings on, and markings on such streets would not look realistic. But all other types (even cobbled streets) are urban, and I think they should be handled the same as other roadways.

That's my general feeling, too.  And for almost all the textures, the current street markings should do fine.  The only exception is the last texture, which has a divider down the middle; I think it needs to be treated more like a road.  And enough people seem to want a special option so that I'm planning on having a SAM option for "no markings."

strucka

well in case of cobblestone, you wouldn't have paint but a mosaic of a sort. It would be written down with smaller white blocks.