• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

3RR-ST - Page 54

Started by dedgren, October 29, 2008, 08:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

This is the SC4D archive of Page 54 of Three Rivers Region at Simtropolis.  Comments are locked for now.

[tabular type=1]
[row] [head colspan=2]
Page 54
[/head] [/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1590  01/02/2007 12:51 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

astarianu
[/data][data]HEY, thanks for the tutorial of satellite pics and for the link to the German NAM. I don't know anything about german, but doesn't import, I'll download it.
THANKS FOR ALL!!! This cj is very usefull.

Cristian

Edit:
  WELCOME TO PAGE 54!!![/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1591  01/03/2007 04:18 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]It's snowing over at 3RR [ linkie ].

C'mon and take a look.  Nicer weather is never more...

...than a click away.

Later.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1592  01/03/2007 04:26 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

RushHourFreak
[/data][data]Great job here. You're right. Nice weather there. I like autumn.
Looking forward to more
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1593  01/03/2007 04:41 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

owenluby
[/data][data]Wow, David, first development looks very, very nice indeed! Im curious about that rail curve. There is something different about it... Maybe I'm wrong, but, hey? Maybe I'm right?

Enlightenment would be great...

Owen

Oh my God! New NAM? Why the hell didn't I see it?
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1594  01/04/2007 12:41 PM [/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]I lost half an hour's work I'd done bringing the TOC here up to date last night.  I don't know where my edits posted, but it wasn't on ST, and they were gone when I went looking for them.  I haven't spent the time to do the work over, and don't know when I'll get around to it again.  I wish the folks who run ST would be straight with the community about what the problem is.  If it's money, I, for one, would be glad to pay for increased reliability.

Rant off.

Check out A Field Guide to the Trees of Three Rivers Region [ linkie ], now up through the conifers so far at SC4D.

...excerpt

Black spruce (Picea mariana)

Black spruce is a tree commonly found on or near lakeshores and river and stream banks.  It has a straight trunk up to 12" in diameter with some-what drooping branches; mature tree usually reaches a height of 20' to 30', although under favorable conditions, it can attain a height of 70' to 80'; often associated with balsam fir. In cold swamps the growth is practically stagnant and trees 2" in diameter have been found to be 127 years old.  The bark is grayish- to reddish-brown and scaly.  The needles are bluish-green, short, pointed, four-sided; length 1/2"; found scattered thinly over branches.  It bears cones that are oval shaped, length 1/2" to 1 1/2"; young cones purple, mature cones dark brown, remaining on trees indefinitely; open in the fall to liberate seeds; seeds small, dark brown, and winged, mature in one season.

Black spruce is found near water throughout the region except for the area immediately adjacent to Hotham Inlet, where jack pine, locally called shore pine, replaces it.  The tree is shade-tolerant; common marsh or bog species.

Based on copyrighted work done by Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. 2007. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Web Site (online). Accessed 2007-1-4 at http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/sitetools/copyright.html[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1595  1/06/2007 04:13 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]n.b.: I note that I am bumping my own thread again.  3RR is down to a few 10s of page views per day here at ST since the recent move- If it is not helpful or otherwise desired for for me to post news of recent updates (I don't want to create any sense that I am soliciting traffic for another SC4 website) please give me feedback to that end in any way felt appropriate.  I remain committed to sharing my 3RR progress here, but do not wish in any way to overstep my welcome.

The remainder of A Field Guide to the Trees of Three Rivers Region [ linkie ], this time addressing the deciduous trees

excerpt

Cottonwood (Populus deltoides var. occidentalis)

Cottonwoods are large trees, 50' to 80' tall, diameter 36" to over 48"; developing first a narrow, conical crown that with maturity becomes broad and open supported by a massive trunk.  The bark is light gray on young trees and dark gray and rough on older trees.  Leaves are simple, alternate on stem, 3" to 5" long, nearly as wide; broadly ovate or triangular, pointed, square at base, finely toothed or wavy on edges; covered with soft white hairs on underside; slender stems from 2" to 3" long are flattened; winter buds covered with chestnut-brown, resinous scales; turns yellow to yellowish-orange in autumn.  The tree's fruit, in the form of a seed, is two to four, valved, thin capsules borne on short stock in drooping "catkins"; seeds, when set free in late May or June, are minute, pale, brownish-white, enclosed in a cluster of white cottony hairs that carry them for long distances. There are two kinds of flowers borne separately on different trees; female trees throw cotton.

Cottonwood is found throughout Three Rivers Region, often in conjunction with aspen.  The tree often forms extensive groves; will grow on dry locations but makes most rapid progress on moist sites; shade-intolerant, very fast-growing.  The region's farmers frequently planted these trees in the late 1800s and early 1900s along roads and lanes and between fields as windrows.

is now up at SC4D.  Hope to see you around.

Later.

Based on copyrighted work done by Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. 2007. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Web Site (online). Accessed 2007-1-4 at http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/sitetools/copyright.html[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1596  01/06/2007 04:15 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Narya
[/data][data]Lovely, lovely and again lovely. Simply wonderful. [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1597  01/06/2007 06:40 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

chocolatemax285
[/data][data]Well, it is sad to see I come back from my brief holiday to such sad news. It is sad to see another of the great City Journalists leaving for other sites.

Simtropolis won't be the same without Three Rivers Region, I wish you the best of luck with it over at SC4 Devotion. It is sad to see you leave but I respect your thoughts.

Cheers mate, choco. You know where to find me.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1598  01/07/2007 04:51 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]I've posted more of the 3RR "back story" over at SC4 Devotion [ linkie ].  Here's an excerpt...

The only urban place in Three Rivers Region of any appreciable size is the city of Pineshore, which has a total population of about 1,200,000 inhabitants.  Pineshore is situated in the south-center of the region at the mouths of the Grand and Wind Rivers.

Suburban areas surrounding the city have a combined population of about another 500,000 people.  Small cities, towns and villages spread across the rest of the region bring the area's total population to about two million.  The region's population growth is essentally flat, with deaths and a small outmigration roughly equalling births since the 1980s.  Life expectancy is substantially longer than the North American average at 89 years for women and 86.5 years for men.

Early History

The Three Rivers Region area was first explored by French and English trappers and traders in the early 1800s.  The abundance of fur bearing animals in the area such as beaver and fox led to the establishment of a trading post on High Island by 1820.  There were aboriginals, mostly Chippewa and Assiniboine, that frequented the area that ultimately became 3RR, but no permanent aboriginal settlements are known to have existed.

Pineshore was founded in 1823 as a fur trading encampment originally named De Pere.  The original name was not, as many believe, in honor of the French trader and explorer; rather it was the first thing said on resurfacing ('Deep here!') by the faithful Native American guide of the Rochamboullet party after stepping out of his canoe into what he thought were shallow waters near shore in preparation for setting up camp for the night.  The name De Pere was abandoned in favor of Pineshore some 30 years later in the fit of completely irrational anti-French xenophobia that swept North America's upper Midwestern regions at that time.

By the 1830s, farmers had begun to move into the area attracted by its fertile prairies, ease of shipping, and, due to the configuration of the mountains to the north, west and south, relatively mild winters and long growing season for being so far north.  Situated, as noted, at the mouths of the Grand and Wind Rivers, Pineshore quickly grew into a local transportation hub the like of which was not again reached west of Duluth until at least Moose Jaw.  The old saying, now sadly forgotten, that "You can't get to Kenora without changing canoes in Pineshore" originated during this period.

The week-long "War of Hickam's Knee," which arose over the rumor that the U.S. and Canadian governments were colluding in imposing a tax on local all-you-can-eat smörgåsbord-style dining establishments resulted in independence under the aforementioned Treaty of 1839 when each of those nations, on the mistaken notion that 3RR was on the other side of the national border, ceded all claims to the region without a shot being fired.  By the time this error was recognized, 3RR's residents had taken the ball and run with it, establishing a regional government that stands today as a model of efficiency and just administration unique in the world.

By 1900, the population of Pineshore had grown to almost 60,000 inhabitants, about 80% of the 1,600 square mile region's population.  The regional government had a total budget that year of 214,000 simoleans (the simolean, for obscure reasons to complicated to explain here, was formerly pegged until the advent of the Euro to the Portuguese escudo; it is now a free-floating currency on its own and currently trades at about par with the Canadian dollar), most of which was raised through library fines and moorage charges.  The Regional Council ('RC'), consisting then as now of 23 members, met monthly in spare warehouse space (if for no other reason, to play the national game: five card stud poker- jokers and one-eyed jacks wild) at the foot of Second Avenue on the Grand River in Pineshore.  These premises, now fallen into substantial disrepair, are the object of competing efforts to have them designated historic and to have them torn down as part of a waterfront freeway project.  The government has moved on, of course, to the new administrative complex constructed in West Pineshore in the 1960s.

If you're interested, I'd appreciate you taking a look at the whole thing.

Later.[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1599  01/07/2007 05:21 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Darmok
[/data][data]I'll try to post more often at SC4 devotion David,

BUT, I must say that I'm jealous.....
First you have snow.... we have rain, yellowish grass, and some spot of iced snow all over the place...
and secundo....

YOU HAVE AN ORIGINAL TOYOTA LJ CRUISER !!!!!

I'm hurt.... yes I am!

Take care of it my friend, that's a very fine piece of automotive history that you have!

Have a great new year

John (green with envy...)
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1600  01/07/2007 05:21 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Giligone
[/data][data]wow, great history. Very well thought out. hehe, the war of hickam's knee. [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1601  01/07/2007 10:52 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

owenluby
[/data][data]Fabulous on all levels...  [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1602  01/08/2007 12:15 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

hondo42769
[/data][data]David,
The information you have provided on the trees is spectacular! Love the story! BTW I am following this at SC4D as well. Keep up the great work!
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1603  01/08/2007 12:36 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

thundercrack83
[/data][data]
"You can't get to Kenora without changing canoes in Pineshore..."

I missed this over at SC4D, and it gave me a chuckle. Keep up the good work! [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1604  01/08/2007 09:28 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Grneyes78
[/data][data]David, somewhere in the beginning of this CJ you mention setting the simoleans to a couple of billion. How do you that?

I love this terrain!! I am a citygirl at heart but love getting away to the country and this looks perfect! It would be perfect for a log cabin with a great view of the mountains or overlooking the river.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1605  01/08/2007 09:44 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

astarianu
[/data][data]Great work as always, David. The history of the region is very interesting and a city of 1200000 inhabitants has to be really big. Great job, David, I'm going to check SC4 Dev. journal now.
See you, Mr. Edgren  :)

Cristian
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1606  01/08/2007 09:56 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

jacqulina
[/data][data]awesome work my friend and very beautifull pics [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1607  01/10/2007 11:25 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]On the 8th of this month, my friend Grneyes78 asked

David, somewhere in the beginning of this CJ you mention setting the simoleans to a couple of billion. How do you that?

Well...

...you have questions...

...we have answers!

First off, let me note one more time my position on cheating adjusting game parameters.

I think it's unfortunate that, with respect to Sim City, Maxis/EA ever promoted the notion that the ability to modify certain game settings was "cheating" in the first place.  Why do I say this?  Well, after all, those folks were the ones who used the term- check it out in the little booklet you got when you bought the game.  The way I see it, in order to accomplish the act of "cheating," someone or something needs to get cheated.  In SC4- who or what?

The game is non-competitive (oh sure, there's scenario play, but who has ever bothered with that?).  It's not, like...

...the one with the most simoleans...WINS!

I think, by definition, you probably can't cheat any third person in any non-competitive enterprise.  So that leaves two questions- first, are you cheating something when you enter a cheat code?  This necessarily raises the issue of laws and/or rules.  I think it goes without saying that there is probably no way, unless illegal copying of the software is involved, that you can play Sim City that is against the law.  So that leaves rules.  Has anyone ever seen any hard and fast rules applying to how SC4 is played?

???

I didn't think so.

So, if there's no rules, you can't possibly break them, whether by cheating or in some other manner.

The second question is: Are you cheating yourself when you use a SC4 "cheat?"  Well, who do you think is best positioned to answer that question?  I can only speak for myself, but I play SC4 to recreate.  That in and of itself doesn't answer the question, because I recognize other things as "cheating" while engaged in such.  Cheating at solitaire, for example, by turning over a card when I'm not otherwise entitled.  Doing so (often enough) will let you "win" when you otherwise wouldn't.  But that one's easy.  There are widely agreed upon rules for how solitaire and its variations are played.  Cheating offends those rules, so we're back to question one in that situation.

Let's take a different example- building a house of cards.  I would consider gluing the cards together in order to create a taller or more elaborate house to be cheating.  I would never do that.  Now, I think it could be agreed that there are no rules, formal or otherwise, that are generally agreed upon for building hoses of cards.  It's not (to my knowledge, anyway) a competitive sport.  It is probably the epitome of completely trivial personal recreation.  Yet I feel strongly that the use of glue would be cheating.  The relevant question at this point is, why?

After giving that some thought, I can say for sure that the answer to why is because I feel that gluing the cards together would remove all enjoyment from the enterprise.  The outcome would be foreordained.  With strong enough glue (and, I suppose, cards) you could build a card house that you could reside in, at least until it rained steadily for a few hours.  There's no challenge, no sense of accomplishment.

My sense of challenge and accomplishment when I play SC4 doesn't come from fending off ruination because I'm out of simoleans, or from seeing how many simoleans I have at the end of the session.  I feel good about playing the game when I create something that I think is nifty, or nice to look at, or that gives other folks some degree of enjoyment. I'll set the game up in any way I would want, to include starting out with a billion or so simoleans gained through the "cheat" codes, to the extent that doing so best allows me to accomplish these things.

So, now let me answer the question on the table.

I used to use Daeley's budget adjustment banks [ linkie ] to get additional funds.  They're pretty cool, but since I've become aware of the "Moolah" cheat  game parameter adjustment code, I just cut right to the chase and use it.

So let's look at an example.  Here, 3RR Quad 122's treasury only has a piddly 64,000 or so simoleans on hand.

But we want to do big things...

...expensive big things...

So, we'll bring up the cheat game adjustment parameter input box by pressing the [ Ctrl ] and [ X ] keys at the same time.  When the box appears, we type the code Moolah followed by a space and the amount of additional funding we desire, in this case fifty million simpoleans.

After pressing [ Enter ], we see the following.

Oh, man!  Already spent 172 simoleans.  And that's a heck of a transaction fee, the 63,933 simoleans I had originally have disappeared!  Kind of like the ATM at the corner 7-Eleven [ linkie ].

What the code does is adjust whatever you have in the treasury to the amount you enter, and the game continues from there.

Now, if you are interested in other game adjustment parameters, I commend your attention to this thread [ linkie ], where Game Code God Buggi has made available to us the Extra Cheats DLL [ linkie ].  The thread explains all.

Later. [/size][/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1608  01/10/2007 11:43 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Giligone
[/data][data]Hahah, very nice explaination. I'm pretty much of the same school of thought. I like building realistic looking cities and so that often results in the need to take some liberties in the financial department. I personally don't think the financial system built into the game is very realistic... at least to what I'm used to. In Canada the provinces pay for health care and school boards pay for schools and the feds pay for airports. So to me having to pay these fees as the mayor doesnt make much sense! Regardless, I'm not going to whine about it. I've been using the money tree BAT that someone developed on the STEX and it gives you §4 billion every month, obviously thats way too much so i destroy it immediately after 1 month is up.

On a side note I did not know there was a 'moolah' code. intruiging.

And also, haha, you can really tell you are a lawyer dedgren!
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1609  01/10/2007 05:04 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Grneyes78
[/data][data]Thank you for that wonderful answer! I do not see it as cheating either since in RL companies and govts are still able to run with negative money.[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1610  01/10/2007 05:18 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

RushHourFreak
[/data][data]Wow, big loan you have gained!!!. As always you have done a great job here. Awesome pictures and maps.
Looking forward to more.
RHF
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1611  01/10/2007 07:25 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

bkmh88
[/data][data]Wow. I just went through all 54 pages and have uploaded so many mods and have been inspired to try so many new things. I really can't wait for my next opportunity to play after I'm finished with all this college work of course. But seriously, that was amazing and hopefully we'll see more of your amazing terraforming, tutorials, and transportation networks. Kudos.

BK
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1612  01/10/2007 09:21 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]A little new

Shameless Eye Candy
posted over at SC4D [ linkie ] to make up for all that heavy stuff 'bout cheating and such.

excerpt

Early fall.

North end - fall.

Closer in.

Be great to have you take a look.

Later.
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1613  01/11/2007 04:06 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Giligone
[/data][data]wow, great eyecandy! (I stopped over to sc4d to check out the full update too!) I love how you've got the seasons going on. Does that happen automatically based on the in game calender or was that replopping hte trees for each different season? Great work![/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1614  01/11/2007 04:15 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

jacqulina
[/data][data]beautifull eye candy my friend very nicely done [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1615  01/11/2007 04:25 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

mightygoose
[/data][data]that answer to grneyes78 was astounding... your train of though was meandering yet relevant. the writing, concise yet affluent. your point, solid and justified. i have got to say that is one of the best answers to any question i have ever seen or heard. sir you are a wise man. as to the shameless eye candy heck everyone falls foul to sef promotion every now and again, and with comments like that you certainly deserve it...[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1616  01/11/2007 11:05 AM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

hondo42769
[/data][data]How can it be cheating if you're having fun? Just play the game however you want! Beautiful eye candy, keep it coming! [/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1617  01/12/2007 10:57 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]A little more Shameless Eye Candy in the night...

over at 3RR [ linkie ]

Have a great weekend!
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1618  01/13/2007 01:01 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

dedgren
[/data][data]Please be advised that I will be closing 3RR here at ST on Friday, January 26, 2007.  I will be looking for a new home for the historical content between now and that time, after which I will be removing it from ST altogether due to the site's issues with reliability and my unwillingness to be patient in dealing with them any longer.

Thank you all for a great run, and for your comments.

David
[/data][/row]

[row] [data colspan=2]#1619  01/13/2007 01:36 PM[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]

Giligone
[/data][data]Godspeed.[/data][/row]

[row][data][/data][data][/data][/row]
[/tabular]
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]