• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Since you are using a mod for the bridges (Jap NAM Facelift Mod), this isn't a NAM issue.

Probably an error in the T21's for that bridge, but that's just a guess.

fatjuice

Hi, I came across this, but I did a clean install of NAM 35.

As I type, I'm doing a clean install 34 and then 35 overinstall.

Here is it.

EDIT: Yes, the problem still occurs, even after the overinstall.

I believe I have to explain the first picture ( or you already know)

I doesn't show the rail diagonal over avenue. That's it.

mgb204

Probably it's just missing the texture for one of those crossings. Willy re-worked them so the crossing would flip, perhaps the texture was not included in the NAM, but I have copies somewhere, I'll keep into it later for you.

noahclem

This is a bit embarrassing because I've had the problem before and fixed it but, after the new NAM install, it's returned and I can't seem to find the solution I had anywhere in my threads.

Any idea of how to stop the pedmalls showing up through models that should be covering them? Help would be much appreciated :)

Tarkus

My hypothesis is that it's that the PedMall model may not have the "Depth Check" box checked on the S3D settings.

Quote from: fatjuice on November 10, 2016, 02:59:17 AM
As I type, I'm doing a clean install 34 and then 35 overinstall.

If you've already cleaned out your installation folder before installing NAM 35, or didn't have a NAM installed to begin with, there's absolutely no reason to install NAM 34 before installing NAM 35.  NAM 35 is a full version, not a patch.  The whole point of installing on top of your old version is to have the settings you previously used carried over to your new install.  The procedure you used is going to give you the same effect as doing a clean install of NAM 35, but with twice as much work.

-Alex

noahclem

Unfortunately I was unable to resolve my problem with your suggestion.

As for the rest, I did install 35 right over my old NAM; I just made a backup on an external drive to be safe and because the NAM installer acts in a way that old files can only be safe on a separate drive.

mgb204

Quote from: noahclem on November 10, 2016, 04:15:01 PM
Any idea of how to stop the pedmalls showing up through models that should be covering them? Help would be much appreciated :)

If all was fine before the NAM35 upgrade, my best guess would be that you must have had some customised files inside either the Network Addon Mod or z___NAM folders. Installing a new NAM version may indeed wipe those out. Ideally, such modifications should be outside of the NAM as an override, but I too don't always do things this way myself. It should simply be a case of finding your modified files in the NAM34 backup and moving them into the new NAM35 installation. Of course, that's only easy if you can remember the files in question.

Tarkus

What may help is to use the Plugins Analyzer in the Reader.  Open up any file, then select NetworkAddonMod_PedMalls.dat from the list.  It'll show you if there's any other models in your Plugins directory with the same IID, and which file contains them.  That's the surefire way to find the override.

-Alex

mgb204

Quote from: fatjuice on November 10, 2016, 02:59:17 AM
I doesn't show the rail diagonal over avenue.

As I suspected, the code to allow the Diagonal Rail/Ortho Ave to correctly flip the stop lines (not previously possible) was added as part of NAM 35. But the textures were not, hence the new one doesn't display at all. Meanwhile, the one that does has been updated and looks a lot nicer.

Update:
There are two patch files attached to this post for RRW Users:

• NAM35_NewDiagonalCrossings Patch.zip
    This fix will allow the new Ortho Street/Ave by Diagonal RRW crossings to appear. Complete with pathing and T21s.
    Place this file into either "z___NAM\y_RealRailway" or if using Rivit's RUM for RRW into  "\z___RVT Modds\RVT zRUM for RRW\BCD NAM"
    Only install the LHD or RHD file/(s) as required.
  • RRW-STRxBaseNetworks_Patch.zip
    This fix includes Models and Paths for STR crossings with Maxis Highway, El-Rail and Monorail.
    If you use one of the following overrides (but not all), MHO / ML Alternate El-Rail / ML BTM, install the file anyway. It will ensure all networks work with STR as intended. If you use all three overrides, installing will not cause any harm, but is simply unnecessary.
    Place this file into "z___NAM\y_RealRailway"

Update 2:
It was brought to my attention that the rail crossings issue affects players without RRW installed also. So I've included support for Maxis Rail, PEG205 Rail and RRW in the updated attached file. If you are a RRW user and already have the second patch, I issued on the 13th November, there is not need to re-download. But new downloaders will now have all three rail styles to choose between for either LHD or RHD. Again these are fully pathed and include T21s.

Basic Readme included, unlike the RRW file, the Maxis/Peg files can be placed into the Network Addon Mod folder.

Edit Oct17: Attachments Removed. Please upgrade to NAM36 which includes these fixes.

kbieniu7

Hey, guys! I'd also add several texture problems with Real Railway Mod installed with NAM 35, similiar to the ones stated just while ago by fatjuice. To clear everything, I made a clear installation, because before that I didn't use RRW.

First, a missing texture of diagonal railway/orthogonal street crossing... that appears just in one direction...

Second, a missing STR texture under elevated rail

And finally, missing some STR junction texture, that had no errors before installing RRW.

Does the latest fix added to mgb's post also cover this issue?

Thank you in advance :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

mgb204

With the Diagonal Rail x Street crossing, I'm guessing once again its another case of new code with no textures.

I'm pretty sure STR under elevated rail was never previously covered. I was testing this around Feb/Mar with NAM 34 and it wasn't working then.

The final image, frankly I'm not sure that setup is supposed to work. For starters it hasn't even properly overridden to STR. But again it looks like there are missing textures at play.

I think what's happened is a bunch of code updates were merged when Willy (Swordmaster) was active around the beginning of the year. But some of the models and textures needed for these changes didn't get included because Willy has since been absent whilst we were putting NAM 35 together. I actually helped with the LHD variants of the ave crossings (hence having the textures), but did not work on these other parts. Therefore I'll try to go through the files we do have and create a fix for any remaining items that have been missed. It may take a couple of days though. For now, the patch only fixes the avenue crossing however.

noahclem

Quote from: mgb204 on November 11, 2016, 07:16:00 AM

If all was fine before the NAM35 upgrade, my best guess would be that you must have had some customised files inside either the Network Addon Mod or z___NAM folders. Installing a new NAM version may indeed wipe those out. Ideally, such modifications should be outside of the NAM as an override, but I too don't always do things this way myself. It should simply be a case of finding your modified files in the NAM34 backup and moving them into the new NAM35 installation. Of course, that's only easy if you can remember the files in question.

Thanks. I'm working through possible files and so far having little luck--but it would be very weird if after doing that thoroughly the problem hadn't been eliminated. I'm curious though: are other people having these problems with regular (unmodified) NAM installations? Could I have somehow caused it with my texture modding or something else? If it's a widespread problem we should probably try to resolve it for others as well. Assuming I can actually find the file that made the difference I'd of course be happy to share it.

kbieniu7

Quote from: mgb204 on November 11, 2016, 02:47:50 PM
With the Diagonal Rail x Street crossing, I'm guessing once again its another case of new code with no textures.

I'm pretty sure STR under elevated rail was never previously covered. I was testing this around Feb/Mar with NAM 34 and it wasn't working then.

The final image, frankly I'm not sure that setup is supposed to work. For starters it hasn't even properly overridden to STR. But again it looks like there are missing textures at play.

I think what's happened is a bunch of code updates were merged when Willy (Swordmaster) was active around the beginning of the year. But some of the models and textures needed for these changes didn't get included because Willy has since been absent whilst we were putting NAM 35 together. I actually helped with the LHD variants of the ave crossings (hence having the textures), but did not work on these other parts. Therefore I'll try to go through the files we do have and create a fix for any remaining items that have been missed. It may take a couple of days though. For now, the patch only fixes the avenue crossing however.

Thank you for the answer :) STR under El-Rail, you might be right there, I probably used DTR there as I think about it now. About the final problem with STR junction, there is indeed some override-to-STR problem as well, but as I said, it worked with no RRW. One starter piece on incoming (from the left side of screen) railway was enough to provide STR be properly overriden at each tile.

mgb204

Quote from: kbieniu7 on November 11, 2016, 01:16:37 PM
And finally, missing some STR junction texture, that had no errors before installing RRW.

I don't think this setup has ever been supported with STR or RRW. You say it worked before installing RRW, are you absolutely sure about that? That's a lot of junctions very close together, a very complicated setup for the RUL to handle. Before the RRW code updates, STR was really flaky, so I think perhaps you are mistaken here. It certainly wasn't working with NAM 34 (I checked), and is not yet supported in NAM 35 either. You can even see the STR override breaking and reverting to DTR, a sure sign of the RUL code not being able to handle it. Remove the middle junction and everything is fine however, this is what I'd recommend:

An update on the other issues - STR/El-Rail & Diag RRWxOrtho Street:

It seems there has been a bigger problem with Willy's code updates making it into NAM35, but the files for them did not. This covers a multitude of previously unsupported setups, mostly surrounding the STR network. What this means is that you may be able to make the connections, but the models, textures and possibly pathing will be missing. I did actually refresh all the models for the MHO and Moonlights Alternate El-Rail and BTM mods, so if you are using these overrides, all the STR/DTR connections are now RRW compliant and working. But if you don't have those overrides installed, it's probably not going to look right. In addition to this, only the street and avenue crossings are affected in terms of missing textures. Because road and OWR networks already supported mirrored crossings. I need to work through the files and try to work out exactly what was left out. I've attached the Street Textures to the post above with the Avenue ones. But the remainder probably relates to new functionality that wasn't there before, as such it may not get patched before the next release.

kbieniu7

Well... I've been pretty sure at that:

It's the same place, from a backup from few weeks ago. NAM 34, without RRW ever installed. I made quite lot of such patterns.

Thanks for the info about street/RRW crossing. I'll wait utill you finish :)

Themistokles

This is a bit embarrassing because I've had the problem before and fixed it but, after the new NAM install, it's returned and I can't seem to find the solution I had anywhere in my threads.

I had this exact problem about a year ago! If memory serves me right, it turned out to be caused by missing background images.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

APSMS

@Kamil,

have you tried recreating that exact setup with RRW? I'll have to check it out, but the image you posted previously was a different setup (the switch was on the same track, whereas this older image is a crossover, resulting in different RUL flags).

That's all that stood out to me. Like I said, I'll have to test this out later.

-Absalom
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

mgb204

Quote from: kbieniu7 on November 12, 2016, 04:07:08 AM
It's the same place, from a backup from few weeks ago. NAM 34, without RRW ever installed. I made quite lot of such patterns.

Quote from: APSMS on November 12, 2016, 01:37:56 PM
have you tried recreating that exact setup with RRW? I'll have to check it out, but the image you posted previously was a different setup (the switch was on the same track, whereas this older image is a crossover, resulting in different RUL flags).

It doesn't look like using that setup works either. I think I know why too. The RUL has changed dramatically since the days of RAM (the original STR codebase). Now we have flextrack and all sorts of other additional code as part of the mix, it's simply causing interference with such a complex setup of crossings as this. No doubt down the line sufficient stability code will be introduced to make this possible. But I can not say when this will happen. For the time being, you'll either need to find a workaround or live with the problem.

kbieniu7

I have no photo now, but both setups worked without RRW and did not work with RRW.

But ok, if you say it's caused by the nature of RRW, well I'll try to find some workaround and rebuild my stations :) Thanks for your help :)

FrankU

NAM 35 is more than I could ever want in my cities!  ;D
But there is one thing that went wrong.

When I place a puzzle piece I often miss the preview model, or it disappears after I rotate it. So I often cannot see which puzzle piece is hanging on my cursor and I cannot see in which direction it points. When I rotate, zoom in, zoom out or tab the ring the preview sometimes reappears and then sometimes disappears after another change....

After several installs I made a totally empty plugins directory and made a complet fresh install. Still going wrong. Could this be some kind of video setting?