• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The World Alphabet

Started by Huston_N7, September 03, 2012, 04:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huston_N7

Introducing a Mayor Diary that started in Simtropolis not more than about 5 day ago... The World Alphabet (I know, terrible title right? :P )

Abemama Atoll? Where in the world is that?

(Source: Wikipedia)

Abemama (also Abamama, Apamama, Dundas, Hopper Island, Roger Simpson Island or Simpson Island) is an atoll in the central part of the Kiribati (Gilberts) Group located 152 kilometres southeast of Tarawa and just north of the Equator.

- So essentially, you're looking at a place that isn't generally known to the outside world. I'll be doing this quite frequently, to make things interesting, putting you in places you probably didn't know existed, but I'll be looking into famed cities and capitals, so it doesn't get too over unfamiliar. Here, we view a small part of the atoll, in an area within the settlement Binoinano, a part of which is called Kariatebike. Though the area we're looking to starts with a "B" (or "K"), I was looking more into the general Abemama Atoll area which is pretty small, and could be mentioned as one entity (disregarding settlements).

A MAP OF THE ABEMAMA ATOLL:

Thanks for viewing

Willkommen in Deutschland! We're now in the world renowned Berlin, capital city of the Federated Republic of Germany. It's a city that boasts history, elegance and world renowned landmarks, a city in itself which is full of such qualities. In this update, I'm going to take you on a tour to some of Berlin's local landmarks, most of which are of familiar sites to many.

In this image, the prominent Fernsehturm Tower stands as a major landmark in Berlin City. A Television Tower in the approximate center of Berlin, built between 1965 and 1968 by the former German Democratic Republic Administration.
It was built to be a standing symbol of the city of Berlin, and lives to that standard, even as of today. It stands at a height of 365 meters or 1,198 ft, and is Europe's fourth tallest free-standing structure.

(The Alexanderplatz Bahn Station that was supposed to be in this picture was not accurate due to the failure of Lot Editor not opening the file :P )

The Rotes Rathaus or Red City Hall is Berlin's, as stated, City Hall. It houses the office of the governing mayor of Berlin, as well as the Federal State of Berlin's Senate.  The building was built between 1861 and 1869, and the name simply derived from the structural appearance of the hall.

The Berliner Dom or Berlin Cathedral is the common substitution for its official name; the Supreme Parish and Collegiate Church. It is the parish church of the Evangelical congregation Gemeinde der Oberpfarr- und Domkirche zu Berlin. Though the building itself has never been able to be fully referred to as "Cathedral" as it has never housed a bishop. The building's sections were completed during 1451 (first building), ca. 1345 (2nd bldg), 1750 (3rd bldg), 1905 (4th bldg), 1993 reinaugurated after removal of war destructions.

Berlin's Reichstag is home to Germany's Federal Parliament. It was officially opened 1894, housing the Reichstag until 1933 before it was severly damaged in a fire, allegedly caused by Communist Party affiliates, but was known to truthfully be a Dutch man who lit the Reichstag. The structure was even more severely damaged, if not almost destroyed during World War II. Though the building was eventually refurbished by the 1960s onwards, leading to the current architectural design in which is partially modern and of an 19th century sense. Though the picture depicting the Reichstag above though is not the exact present design.

The Berliner Dom from a different angle.

The Zeughaus, Bertelsmann and the Kronprinzenpalais, across the river from the Berliner Dom.

The Fernsehturm by night.

The Rotes Rathaus by night.

The Berliner Dom by night.

Thanks for viewing!
Done in Simcity 4 using Google Maps Current Satellite data.

Those who really live in Berlin, please give personal criticism!
on the pictures and accuracy of the locations! :D

Oh, and for those wondering why I didn't do the Brandenburg Gate;
it's because I can't log on to the official SC4 website (Sucks a lot) cause I lost my account for it about 5 years ago. If only there were other places to download it :P

Watch out for the next update and location!

<a href="http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15523.msg467533#msg467533"></a>
E37 - Ferust System | Violet Nebula
"Blinding Night"
06/09/2013

FrankU

Hi, this is an interesting MD. Not only because of the theme. That is just a way of defining yourself a project, and any choice is acceptable as long as you yourself think it is fun to do.
But for us the result counts. And that is of high quality, so I'd say: please continue!

I haven't been in Berlin for some time, so I am not sure, but the images look quite realistic and at least the atmosphere is right.
Just the thing about the Alexanderplaz station: can't you try to get this right? I'd really like to know how you wanted the image to be.

WC_EEND

I like your concept, it seems to me like a fresh and new thing that hasn't been done before, I'm keeping an eye on this (and I'm secretly hoping to see your take on a Belgian city as well :P).

Xander
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

art128

Seems like an interesting concept indeed, like the alphabet city game ( in the game subforum) and like what Ilikehotdogsalot/Iamgoingtoeatyou did.

I'll follow this for sure. So far you've done a great job with both Berlin and Abemama.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

nedalezz

I personally loved the shot of the Berlin Dome :)

Go to Cairo next!

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

RickD

Fascinating concept and also great pictures.  &apls
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

rooker1

Very interesting start and awesome mix of real life and in game pics.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

nas-t

First of all: great idea and nice pictures. I'm curious where you take us next!  &apls

I live in Berlin for 5 years now and you definitively caught the right vibe even if some of your pictures are that accurate.
In some cases it doesn't matter at all eg the environment of the Rotes Rathaus, in some cases it's just a detail (the "Bahnhof Alexanderplatz" is surrounded by tramlines as you can see here. An even more important detail: the flags next to the Dom and the Reichstag aren't the flags of the FRG but of the GDR  ;) ).

Last but not least i was a little irritated by the skyscraper construction site next to the Dome but i guess it's supposed to be the demolishing of the Palast der Republik which was finished in august 2010. But anyway, i like the pictures a lot.  &apls

Ol.S / Benoit

Nice concept and great pictures... Seems to be a really good mix :) I'll stay tuned for sure !
As I never heard of Abemama, not sur what to expect for the letter C or D !
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

FrankU

So I did some searching for you.
You can download the Brandenburg Gate from this website. It's the German downloadsite, the home of the SFBT-team.

Dantes

Wow, fantastic atmosphere  :thumbsup: The pictures are a bit clichéd in Germany, but I recognized everything.  :) Good work!  :satisfied:

Kergelen

Amazing start. &apls
I think the name of the MD is perfetct for you because you always show great and very varied pictures from different places.

Links to SC4 websites