• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DatPacker problem

Started by DFire870, January 26, 2008, 06:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxdita

A folder selection would be nice to add to the list too. Is somebody writing down the list?  $%Grinno$%

BarbyW

Edit : sorry to removed your comments ~Wouanagaine~
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

wouanagaine

Barby, can you check that an examplar from Colyn's mega pack is present or not in the 1.8gb dat file please ?

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

BarbyW

Wouanagaine, I am not sure exactly what you mean as I was missing lots of props and models from the big file.
I packed all my BSCProps, plus the model packs for non BSC and the single models I have for CAM. All Colyn's props should have been in there. I can't find the original dat now ::) but can do the test againif you like.

wouanagaine

Never mind, I have not read your post correctly

Too bad that even a 800Mb BSC folder does not produce any errors on my PC :(

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

BarbyW

My normal compressed BSCProps is 900MB and produces no errors.

wouanagaine

I think I found something weird in my code
I locked the LEX file until further investigation

New Horizons Productions

JoeST

I have a suggestion for improvement... make it so the files NetworkAddonMod (and maybe the CAM ones) dont get packed... Unless there is a reason for keeping this as it is now...Its just with the whole thing

And also, maybe keep the un-packagable folders listed in the/a settings file or is that not possible?

btw.. like i said last time, Its a fantastic tool

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

wouanagaine

Bug fix available on the LEX ( v08c )

It may still appears that there is a 'minor' bug due to some memory leaks I'm unable to get to the root. As I said it classified as "minor", it appears that on some systems, some folders can't be packed when running on your full plugins folder, however if you remove all folders but the offending one, it will be able to be packed

@Joe, it is possible, but not for the moment.

New Horizons Productions

FrankU

After habving played for a long time I finally decided to Datpack my pluginsfolder.
The subfolders are not too large. Everything together is 1,3Gb, the largest subfolders probably don't reach 300MB (can't see, because at the office now, having lunch).
I ran some filecomparison program to see if I have double files (Easy Clean; free and useful). So no double dats and models etc. Of course I could have some old dependencies together with new megapacks. Surely enough I tried to Cleanitol everything, but if it's 100% OK? Never sure.

Anyway: while datpacking I found out some files were Superceed.
I wrote down some names. It included some models, eg cranes by Somy.
After having started the game with this packed pluginsfolder I was able to place the superceed lots and the buildings/props/models (?) showed up. Meaning: everything looked as it should be. I expected a brown box or an almost empty lot. Especially Somy's lots are almost only a building with some base texture...

What did Datpacker do with my models? They seem to be superceed, but are still in the plugins. And no, I do not have SOMY's cranes doubled in my folder.

Help? ()what()

xxdita

If DatPacker says Superceeded, then only one instance will be put into the packed dat. So if you do have duplicates, it will only allow one in the file. It's possible that SOMY had duplicate props in his files.

FrankU

Ahm, so it might be a problem in the files that SOMY made himself?

And does this mean that the file size difference between unpacked and packed consists of leaving out all the double data?
Wow! So Datpacker is the best way of throwing out all double files and data? Great.

Wouanagaine, your work is spectacular.  &apls

xxdita

That's a possibility. But should there be a conflicting file, e.g. 2 textures using the same IID, DatPacker will only keep one of the two, just as the game does. So it can be important to look at exactly what is being superceeded, and by what. To find out which file is conflicting, rename the file reported as superceeded with an a_ in front of it, then try datpacking again (after deleting the previously packed dat). Then, once you find out which file is conflicting, you can go into Reader and actually figure out what the problem is (if you're so inclined). Could be as simple as a duplicated prop, or as bad as conflicting textures.

FrankU

Ok, thanks.
I'll see if there is something that seriously wrong.

SC4BOY

Most likely it means that certain props /textures were easier to repeat in seperate lots than to have to make a dependency file a seperate download..

wouanagaine

It may be hard to find which files superseed a file
say
fileA contains TGI1 TGI2 and TGI3
fileB contains TGI1 TGI4
fileC contains TGI2 TGI5
fileD contains TGI3 TGI6

the files will be loaded in the following order => A B C then D
Datpacker will tell you that fileA has been superseed
if you rename fileA to fileE, the loading order will be B C D than E and no file will be reported as superseed

Quote from: SC4BOY on May 22, 2008, 10:33:50 AM
Most likely it means that certain props /textures were easier to repeat in seperate lots than to have to make a dependency file a seperate download..
Which is a very bad practice as the game will load each file and override the previous one, resulting in longer loading time
And if the overriden entries are not exactly the same then you'll likely screw your game ( ie maybe the entry refer to a building examplar which has changed a little between the 2 files ). If it is texture it certainly won't screw the game, but certainly add to loading time
But well, no need to start a dependencies debat

New Horizons Productions

FrankU

OK, thanks a lot.
I see I do not really need to worry about losing files, lots or props.