• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Need help with an RHW interchange

Started by Opkl, April 07, 2012, 10:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opkl

Does anyone have any ideas/ suggestions for an interchange in my city?  I know about the interchange guide thread, but wanted to see/ hear other ideas.  ;)

As you can see, its a tight space so a compact four-way junction is needed. However, I'm not sure what kind of interchange should be constructed here. I ruled out cloverleaf because its too big. Thanks! :)

P.S.- Don't worry about the TLA-7, that's just temporary until I find an interchange.

MandelSoft

I'd say you don't, unless you sacrifice at least one of the two interchanges you build. Not only because of the tight space, but also due to very short weaving areas, which is undesireable in any circumstance. Sometimes, you just have to leave out connections...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

farrell1701

Some thoughts:

* Eliminate the embankment on the far right of the image and drop the main road down to ground level instead. This would allow you to merge the ramps sooner and thus start your turn sooner as well.

* mrtnrln does have a good point. I have a turnpike running right past my house that goes right over a major state route but has no ramps to it, yet they put ramps in 2 miles down the road, forcing everyone to take local roads to get to the state road. Not ideal, but  &Thk/(

* The tight turns don't allow it in their current configuration on the left exit, but if you shift them closer to the university and start them off the highway closer to the other exit, you might be able to branch the MIS ramp and curve it back towards that TLA. It'd only be a "half interchange", but I can't really see a way to work in the other half of the interchange without a major weaving problem.

* Maybe there's a way to work a local/express setup into this? Working with an RHW-4 is a lot easier than an RHW-6C. If there's room, start it north of the east interchange, keep it elevated, and use the L2 curved ramps to get exits back down to street level at the planned and west interchanges, then reintegrate with the main thoroughfare afterwards? Or if it needs to stay ground level, some of the RH4/MIS splits might work well.

* Planning-wise, I'm not sure a third interchange would necessarily be required here -- with two servicing the area already, plus the rail line nearby, and what looks only like light-to-medium development so far, I'm not sure if it'd justify the cost of a third interchange and the higher risk of accidents due to weaving. Maybe put some of the network in for an interchange and make the rest empty/abandoned land to represent the planning board being deadlocked over the NIMBY issues/highway revolt. (The Betsy Ross Bridge in Philadelphia, PA, and the abandoned I-291 interchange in Hartford, CT come to mind, as does waiting to see if the next incarnation of the NAM has new options for that area.)