• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Kolbrow (13.10.2019 - Olsza - a mosaic)

Started by kbieniu7, October 09, 2008, 11:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manga rivotra

Thanks to you !  :thumbsup:
10 years is truly an incredible longevity for an MD.  ::)
Sure, you have inspired a lot of people, including me.  :)
In this update in particular, I very much appreciate the third in game pic with theses rivers banks and the 2 chimneys.
The contrast is both beautiful and very realistic!

Akallan

I agree with feyss, the second picture is very beautiful with this edge of the river. The city is very pretty with the tram and all these diagonal buildings, and the night images give a beautiful spirit to the city. &apls
10 years is a lot for a game, but when you see CJs like yours he does not seem to be 10 years old but less! Thank you for these wonderful updates! :thumbsup:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

carlfatal

I like your style. Looking at the pictures of your MD is like being at home.  ;D

And congrats for ten years development of your region. I hope to see Kolbrow growing over the next ten years, and I wish you a lot of tourists there. Maybe you can find me there too if I´ll find time for a journey!  &apls

vortext

Those urban riverbanks caught my eye as well, simple yet elegant and they mimic the rl pictures quite well.  &apls

Also glad to hear this it not the end, looking forward to the next decade!  :D  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Simmer2

Riveting!! And congrats on 10 years of MDing  &apls &apls

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Themistokles

Congratulations my friend on your 10th anniversary! It should be we saying thank you!

I love the graphic design in the colours of Galand and also, I have to point out both the river banks and the railway snaking between the buildings, they're awesome and so much in Kolbrów style :satisfied:

Cheers!
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

brick_mortimer

Congratulations on Kolbrow's double lustrum  &apls

Glad you're not retiring yet  ;)
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

911Diva

These city shots are very beautiful!  I also love the way you did the riverbanks!!   Great job and gives me ideas too!!  Thanks for sharing all your hard work &apls &apls &apls &apls

Kergelen

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! I've always liked your style. :)

&apls &apls

Links to SC4 websites

kbieniu7

Hi All!

It's been a lot of time since I posted anything. 1,5 year! Hope that you have not completely forgotten about me.

A lot things have happened during this time, I've been really busy and have a lot of stuff on my head in real life. For example, I've just managed to pass exams for doctoral studies! :) I haven't started them yet, but it is about to happen in October.

I'd like you show a city that I've been working on for almost three years. It's never been good enough to post, there always used to be something that I could do better or some small extra area to develop to avoid an empty space. Well, I think it's time now to finally show it.

Olsza is highly inspired by a real city of Grudziądz. Located in northern Poland, just by Wisła river is a middle-sized city of around 100 000 inhabitants. With it's beautiful architecture dominated with red brick (as in most of north of Poland and Germany), it has a lot of interesting views to offer. However, many parts and districts seems a bit scary and bad-maintaned, giving a bit of an aura of sadness.

Because of the fact that we've had a brief introduction with a real place, we continue with the update uncluding some real photos.

It's main point is the market square. With a monument in its middle and tramway going on its side, it's surrounded by quite high and representative tenements. Just by, there is a red-brick church.

An old castle... or actually its remainings. Nowadays there is just a lone tower on the top of a hill.

The most spectacular view that can be discovered in Grudziądz are granaries. Old, medieval structures that used to be used for storage of grains, were built on the slope. From the city side they're just two stories high. From the river side, however, they have several floors, creating a huge red-brick wall. Almost like an artificial, man-made brick cliff. I couldn't find proper BATs to recreate it, so it's quite a loose (and poor) recreation unfortunately.

The other characteristic point of Grudziądz is a bridge. A long steel bridge that spans over ther wide Wisła (or in SimCity - Wirta). One of the longest in Poland, in the area where crossing a river has never been that easy task. In reality is a dual road-railway bridge, with minor regional train traffic on it.

To be continued...

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Akallan

Happy to see you again! Very beautiful pictures, as always! :thumbsup:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

eggman121

Spectacular work :thumbsup:

Very nice Pictures... Much like a Birds eye view of the Countryside and Townships. Smooth and calming.

Very pleasant on the eyes :)

-eggman121

art128

Nice to see you posting again !

Splendid work on this town. The overview is particularly nice.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

thundercrack83

Excellent!

Love the use of real-life pictures to complement your great work!

kelis

.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

kbieniu7

In Grudziądz I have been just once. One of my friends move there because of a job, so I managed to visited him and discover this city for the first time. Quite far away from Krakow more than 8hs by train. My destination showed me a specific mix of old... and barely anything new. The city, as many other middle-sized towns, had unfortunately quite depressing face.

I lived in one of the w2ws along the tramway line. That was not the prettiest neighbourhood, to be honest. Among old and dirty tenements, it was actually a bit scary to have a walk on late evening.

Mix of old and communist-time housings.

Main railway station had its best days long ago. Not only the station itself is old and dilapidated, but the service is rather poor. It lies between two main railway routes, with just secondary unelectrified lines going there, so there are very few connections with the rest of the country.

To be continued. Thanks to all like-clickers and Akallan, eggman, Arthur, thundercrack and kelis for your comments :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

kelis

A very interesting update. I really like the mix of real and simcity images, they also look very similar.

&apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

art128

I think the real town looks OK. I mean sure there are not soo fancy looking buildings but I can assure you there are far worse looking places where I live, and places where you definitely do NOT want to walk alone night or day.

Simcity version looks great too. I like the blend of w2w, empty spaces and blocks.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tarkus

It's really fantastic to see you back with more of Kolbrow--I think you've done a great job capturing a Grudziądz-type city in SC4, and the results are quite impressive to see.  The level of detail in the railyard is particularly striking.

Additionally, I want to wish you all the best with your doctoral studies. :thumbsup:

-Alex

seraf

It needs renovations, sure, but it's not that bad ;) Good job with transporting it into SC4  &apls