• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GLR Stations - drive paths

Started by adamsclan, November 04, 2015, 08:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamsclan

Extremely grateful for the time and trouble you have gone to. Really!

1st error (don't laugh!) was not deleting the existing lot after I had made the changes. I assumed the game would use the new sc4lot info but obviously I was mistaken.

Second point - I made the assumption that changing the Rep15 entry from N/S TO E/W was the same as changing the compass setting thro' 90 degrees. Was I wrong in that assumption? Is the Rep15 fixed and can't be changed?

I have tried Cosham and it works perfectly.

I actually loaded the original Cosham Rail Station in SC4 Tool and configured it for GLR, which then worked. I couldn't understand why your original fix hadn't worked - see 1st error above!

I am still at a loss to understand the use of non-standard Rep16 entries such as 0xFFFFFFFA.

I have searched both SC$Devotion and Simtropolis and read many posts and topics. Their content seems to be split between the very simple and explanations which require a distinct level of understanding of coding, etc.

I wonder what would give me the knowledge to understand far more of the mechanics of the game but am at a loss as to go about this. Do I invest in some books on "coding for dummies"?

I like to know how stuff works rather than just use it - its just how I'm made, I guess.

Anyway - my unbounded gratitude.   :thumbsup:

mgb204

SC4 loads everything in the correct file format that's in your plugin folders, note that's not anything to do with file types. So .sav files also get loaded on startup. Should two or more items have the same ID, the last of them to load (alphabetically from file name) will be the one you see in game. This is very handy for many situations, it's very easy to override anything such as props, lots or textures by just using the same ID as the original and loading an alternative later.

I'm not sure why myself, but for some reason it's necessary to set the Entry/Exits (Rep 15) West-East to align with the path, then rotating the path 90 degrees works a charm with Rep 3. When you refer to non-standard Rep16 entries, simply think of them as different. Within the NAM will be more than one ortho GLR path for example, each with a unique ID. For whatever reason the modders used the ones they did, only they could say. Bear in mind the NAM may not have been the same in 2006/7 when some of these lots were made. Perhaps the NAM path simply didn't exist then, for a good while no lots were ever included with the NAM for example.

Usually a search will be more helpful, although info is a little barren for advanced TEing. As for helping out, I've been going through this process myself fairly recently, I know figuring some of this out on my own was a real uphill battle. That post from Coego (I'm sure it was from him) is about the only one I've seen that explains this, if only I could remember where the hell it was again! In any case I'm happy if I was at least able to impart some knowledge here.

There is no real coding required for the most part. A lot of this really isn't something that's found in books, it's unique to SC4, making this forum and Simtropolis your best place to unravel it all. If there is something you want to do with the game, but cannot find the answer, just ask, usually someone will be able to help, if only pointing you in the right direction. Otherwise your best bet is just to absorb as much of the information on the forums as possible.

catty

I always found these two topics to be quite helpful when it came to TEing something

Transit enabled lots - the easy way - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=539.0

TE Lots, Transit Switches, and You - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2763.0
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

adamsclan

Thanks for that, Catty.

I shall follow them up.

Cheers!

b22rian

Hi Guys  ;D

I have been following the thread and thought id pop in..

Adams,

It is great to see you interested in transit station modding  :thumbsup:

MGB,

I really appreciate the personalized help your giving Adams. Very thoughtful of you..

Not sure if you ran across the GLR station line that I modded for DCmetro34 who now goes by the nick of Nilo
I recall having to do this rep 16 custom path thing on at least one occasion. But no doubt our station line is not precise when it comes to automa behavior in, through and around our stations. It seems like so long ago now that I have forgotten much of it.
I think a lot of times the priority was placed of getting the stations functional in so far as no obvious issues where present with network functionality. And its fair to say the automa paths were unfortunately always given only secondary emphasis . However, i will keep monitoring this thread and of course if i feel i can be of help in some way to add to what MGB is doing here, i will be happy to oblige  ;)

Brian

adamsclan

:thumbsup: Thanks for that.

I haven't come across that thread you referred to, but I'm keeping looking - amazing what you come across by chance.

I know what I am diving into is historical in terms of gaming, but when you get the SC4 itch, you just gotta scratch it!

I just love learning new and problem solving.

Onwards!

b22rian

Thanks Adam,

We did not really have much in the way of a Modding thread. I know that DC has opened up batting threads from time to time for his stations though .

Here is a link to one of his better transit batting threads-

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11439.0

The first post has a listing of the stations he completed and which I did the transit modding for the majority of.. You will see that most of these were various GLR stations we did together.

Brian

adamsclan

b22rian: Thanks for that info.

Lots to read up on now, but any other info or tutorial guides most welcome.

b22rian

Adams,

Yes, In terms of looking for help, info and tutorials, the type of customized paths your interested in, which I would terms as  "advanced transit modding.." ,

I would have to agree with MGB, that there never was a lot out there among the forum postings. My recall was that when I needed some custom paths , I had to sorta scrap up odds, and ends to slowly acquire any knowledge in the area, that assisted me in doing the station modding for DC's stations.. It is unfortunate, but does seem like its one of our weaker areas for new people like you wanting to get involved in this. Unless there is some possibility, that some helpful things have popped up in the community forums since I was interested in the area. Admittedly, this was a least a couple years now in the past.

But I hope you will not become discouraged by my comments. Please stay with this  :thumbsup:
And i think if we can work with this as  a 3- way team ,  in which it is my hope that this will still prove to be worth your efforts..

Look forward to hearing more about this or really any other transit modding areas you have an interest in or questions about..

Lets keep this thread alive okay ?  ;D

Thanks, Brian