• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Terrain Grass NAM

Started by mgb204, February 11, 2015, 02:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Small update, thanks to the processes outlined in my general development thread, I have today managed to automate those parts of the Terrain Grass mod I previously could not. What this means is that I can now make a complete variation of my TGN mod for any terrain with just one texture in less than 5 minutes. I'm working on a few updates/fixes still before I will release v2, but I would like to consider expanding from the three original terrain mods when I do.

Currently I have a custom Pyrenean Terrain version planned, but since I only use the three terrain mods I originally supported, any additional releases would be based on user feedback. I honestly have no clue which terrains are predominantly used, so if you want the terrain you use supported, please help me by telling me what you want. I know it's not so typical for creators to do requests, but in this case I can't release the tools for people to do it themselves, and the work of making 5-10 variants would be really small and something I'm happy to do. However, I've found it very hard to get feedback previously - actually it's near non-existent - so if no one responds, I'll just assume there is no demand for it and do something else. So if you are reading this and want your terrain supported, please take a minute to tell me about it.

In other news, certain developments have led me to the conclusion that the planned RHW support for TGN will simply not work with my current processes. Therefore, for the time being, work on that has halted until I can resolve some fundamental issues that just create too much wok for it to be viable. However, every other NAM texture (that I could find) with grass is covered, so it's not all bad.

APSMS

Well, I could always ask for a multi-wealth LK Appalachian version. Not sure that's a fruitful path to go down, though. Still I'm putting it out there, but I'm not holding my breath.

How about doing this for the Maxis default terrain (since my understanding is that the default textures don't blend with the underlying terrain on purpose)?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

noahclem

Looking through the thread I didn't come across what other terrain mods you were planning but I hope it included at least Berner-Oberland. I do have a couple requests but they're not terrain mods  ::)

The grass Erik made for wealth/grass:

I'd also like a snowy version. I think this texture from the Antarctic TM might be best:

Though it's possible Peg's would work better depending on how uniform they should look and preference for blue vs purple:

EDIT: I'd imagine desert textures for people making cities in the style of the American Southwest or the Middle East could be useful to some.

mgb204

Quote from: APSMS on May 16, 2015, 12:52:22 AM
Well, I could always ask for a multi-wealth LK Appalachian version.

Within reason I'm happy to make custom one-off versions for people, multi-wealth can be easily applied to the bulk of the automation, but the new processes have some exceptions where only unified wealthing works (at least right now), if any new multi-wealth versions are made, there would be a few exceptions (namely roundabouts/obscure NWM textures).

I personally feel single-wealth works better, I could never rein in control of the various wealths/densities in my cities, uniform textures simply remove the issue for me. My main problem with doing multi-wealth however is making the grass textures, it's not really something I'm good at, I just don't have the artistic talent for these things as a technical person. The current mods are based on Lot Textures that came with SV/BO terrains, the Appalachian texture was made by Paeng and when I made a custom Pyreneasn version I simply re-scaled an existing terrain texture.

Therefore if someone had 1-3 grass textures and passed them along, I'd be more than happy to process it for you. If I have to make textures for a variant, then it would remain single-wealth.

QuoteHow about doing this for the Maxis default terrain (since my understanding is that the default textures don't blend with the underlying terr/8-ain on purpose)?

Not sure I have much motivation for this personally, my work has all been geared towards removing all default textures, but if there was some demand I would consider it.
--
I have no interest in download numbers, the point of this is really that having put a lot of effort into making such a transformational mod (for myself), I don't want to hoard it. I deliberately focused on automation from the outset, in case I ever decided to use a new terrain, all the work is done and it's two batch operations with no user input required to create a variant now. I don't care if I end up e-mailing custom versions to people, but I'm not going to pick 5 terrain mods at random and simply upload them in the hope they will be used. However, it would seem a waste to not allow others to take advantage of my efforts, by offering to make custom versions and trying to release some popular variants I'm just trying to squeeze the maximum benefit from my work.

@Noah, I've sent you a PM

Catalyst

Uniform textures I like  ;) no ugly transitions. Also looking forward to the Pyrenean Terrain. I think desert/semi-desert (mediterranean?) and snow versions would be great. Maybe a non-HD version for people who can't use the hardware rendering?

Oh and by the way your efforts are greatly appreciated. I hope a lot of people are using your mods as they make such a huge difference graphically. I feel like i can't use the  &apls icon enough when responding to your posts  :thumbsup:

mgb204

Following up from this post on the NAM Issues Thread:

If you install both TGN and NGN, only one will work. Whichever loads last will show in game. In theory the files are interchangeable so you could use parts of each. However that won't work right now, because NGN has about 10 months work of updates and changes. Including a completely different file structure. When I finally release both TGN 2.0 and NGN they will be identical in terms of the mod's structure.

It's worth noting neither mod will replace any textures unless they have grass in them.

Quote from: Tyberius06 on December 29, 2015, 12:20:20 PM
First with the TGN (Sudden Valley - Eu) - something is wrong with the wealthificiation (is that an existing word?, sorry if wrote it incorrectly) with low and medium density, but it's OK with high density.

Quote2nd picture with the NGN. It works fine only high density and only with the AVE-Road crossing.

The Zebra crossings appear when you have the file "z3_MRTNRLN_EuroTextures_ZebraCrossings.dat" (located in z___NAM\Road Textures\Euro Cosmetic Re-Texture Mod), installed from the NAM. TGN was designed with the default crossings in mind. If you prefer the zebra crossings, I could post a patch to support them. Including more options for one texture is actually a big deal, so it's not going to happen for the release.

The second issue with the street/ave intersections is something that's been overlooked. I will fix the repository so the final version does not have this issue.

QuoteBy the way both are amazing mods (thanks for that), I hope one day you will release officially the NGN mod as well.

It shouldn't be too long, the fundamental work is done. I just need to get the NAM 34 changes into place beforehand. One of the problems with my mods, the scale of them is overwhelming for one guy. Therefore it's appreciated to get feedback, that way I can ensure problems are fixed. Otherwise I only deal with the things I find, it's not practical to test every possible texture myself.

Tyberius06

Yes, I noticed, the NGN was working when both were installed.
I prefer the zebra crossings, that reminds me my origin country and hometown (Hungary, Budapest), so I would welcome that patch, what you mentioned.

Anyway if there is something in what I can help (testing or I don't know), just let me know.

Thank you!
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

mgb204

I've uploaded the patch for the Zebras. This need to load after TGN or NGN to override the included defaults. The TGN variants support SV Unified grass. If you need something different, let me know.

Having checked through my repository I'm actually pretty sure the Ave/Street intersections were changed. This would only apply to NGN right now though, I know I did make changes to this. Problem is I'm using custom textures right now, so I need to look a bit deeper. In the meantime, perhaps check if any mods are loading after mine?

As for help, I don't have any specific need right now, but I'll keep it in mind. Feedback on any problems is helpful though, nothing is ever finished, because I update my repositories with each new NAM release. I plan to support all my mods in this way for the foreseeable future. I'm 99% there with a fully automated repository. Getting it together has been a mammoth task and as soon as that's finalised, most of my texture mods will get a refresh.

Update:
I've looked into the other problem today and tracked down the problem texture, second fix for NGN users only attached. Place the enclosed file into the "3 - Maxis Street" folder to ensure it works.

I've removed the fix, please update NGN to version 1.0.1 which include this fix and some others.

mgb204

Nothing more than a few teaser shots.

Themistokles

Looks great! &apls

Maybe there should be some gaps in the median line at the intersections, because I reckon double solid lines are too much for most motorists to cross. Anyway, just what I thought when I saw them. :)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

mgb204

Quote from: Themistokles on March 01, 2016, 11:11:26 PM
Maybe there should be some gaps in the median line at the intersections

Good to know that my photoshopped intersection texture looks like the real thing  :D.

I am inclined to agree with you regarding the double lines at crossings. However, this double line is baked in to the template texture that created the entire set. Not to mention, to support both Yellow and White lines, all my development files until this point include them. I'll have a go at trying to modify them, but it depends on how much time it would take really. :-\

Seaman

I am using the TGN and it's a very neat feature! Thanks a lot for providing this!
Unfortunately, I got used to it and now I am annoyed by the brown (Maxis?) industrial wealth textures next to the rails. I've read in the TGN readme, that RRW is not supported? Is there any way to replace the industrial wealth textures next to RRW (and keep the new RRW incl. flextrack etc.)?

mgb204

TGN supports RRW, meaning the crossings where grass is included will update to your installed TGN style.

But this "underlay" as I call it, is in essence the 4th sidewalk. It's not only used when zoning is next to rail, it's also used for zones next to farms. You can swap it for a different texture or even make it transparent (my preference), but you have to bear in mind it affects the farms also. Take a look at Rivit's RUM for RRW, which includes some options for altering it's appearance.

Seaman

It seems, you are not only a talented content creator, but an eager and kind aide in the forum, too!! Thanks a lot. The tip hits the bullseye.