• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Krasner BAT thread

Started by Krasner, September 08, 2016, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan_Waters

As your link is nothing.  ()sad()
Stations are great!  :thumbsup:

Krasner

Quote from: Alan_Waters on December 01, 2016, 08:50:14 AM
As your link is nothing.  ()sad()
Stations are great!  :thumbsup:

The download has to be verified by toutsimcities.com's moderator apparently, it's coming soon. Don't know when exactly but soon.
Thank youby the way  :)
ANARCHIST !!

matias93

You could also upload them on the LEX and the STEX, that aren't pre-screened. (I'm only saying this because I desire those marvels now, not tomorrow, now  :bomb: )

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

kbieniu7

Nice set! I really look forward to see the progress with your modular factories, they will fit perfectly into smaller towns  :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Girafe

It's a good start and small railway stations are much needed.

As you seem to pay attention to details, I think you can still improve few things:

1. The overall textures are slighltly too dark, especially when using Gmax (for example, the roof of the station A).
2. The texture of the plateforms are stretched and it's noticable. 
3. The texture black / white of the edge is too wide and stretched also

Don't hesitate to customize the textures by adding dirt, oil leaks... few details change the overall perception of a BAT.
Some details could be modeled as well to increase the "quality". And railway station are full of small details to be added (cables, shelter, benches, garbage...)

Regarding the LOTing, I notice some props from Vnaoned, that's good, I think you should consider only HD props, if you model HD BATs. You will find many HD French props done by VIP team and Citymax did a prop pack only with Railway stuff. 

Factory BATs look nice. I would have the same comment regarding the tone of the texture, which is IMHO too dark.
Export the BATs and have a look in game to judge the colors. It always gives good feedbacks. 
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Krasner

@matias93
Thank you for the nice comment  :) The stations are available since this morning, and the link that wasn't working before is now working. I will consider to upload my work on other exchanges in the future.

@kbieniu7
Thanks a lot my friend  :D It was the idea behind this factory set, that it could be used for various purposes, small back-wharehouses (which are common in fact), as well as large surfaces or whatever you want. There are also catwalks, and parts with various doors in preparation. Just eye-candy but I will consider to make a functionnal assemblage on a single lot too.

@Girafe
Your comments on my work are always welcome, and valuable  :) I guess you're quite right on the global darkness of my textures, and the streched ones on the platforms are kind of regrettable. I will try to avoid thoe kind of mistakes in the future. On station A in fact the roofing is supposed to be made of black tiles, which is quite uncommon I agree, but I thought it was suitable to increase the "rurality" of it (dark tiles are usually made of dyed concrete and cost less money).

Considering the lotting, I only used HD props on that (Motokloss's cars are HD too, if ou had a doubt on that). I'm actually making a bunch off re-lots for my personnal use so I know well the proppacks you mention here  :)

Well alright, I will pay more attention to the tone of the textures for the factory so  ;) Adding more details is also, always a good idea.
ANARCHIST !!

Krasner

Back here just to wish to everybody a happy new year  :) as a gift I uploaded a new thing on Toutsimcities.com yesterday, a 1930's working-class pub designed to match FAR-2

You can get it here : https://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads/view/3301  ;D

It was just a try basically, so please forgive that it can not perfectly fit into a wall-to-wall environnement. Also I am not convinced that designing it for FAR-2 was the best option as most of the FAR buildings match FAR-3. Still, it has nightlights for Maxis Night and it is full-HD. I made it a Landmark (with 3 C$ jobs and low plop cost) to aid the placement. The Read-me is in both French and English.

I cumulate long-term projects currently, it's not the best idea I guess. Yet an other one : I thought that there was not much cemeteries currently, so I started to design a modular one (very mineral and mushy, like most of the cemetreries in France).

That preview is work-in-progress  ::) There are 8 diferent grave props showing here, it is not enough I guess so to avoid this ugly repetition feeling I started yesterday to bring this number to 20 (or even 25). The base texture will be changed. There will be a special release for that but those walls, gates, graves and many other things (not only related to Hades's kingdom  :D) will come in a prop pack so you can make whatever you want with it. And I promise, that will come out on the LEX also  :)

Greetings !
ANARCHIST !!

Krasner

Hello there,

I have finished the sixth (and last) model of my workig-class res-pack an hour ago. So I may release them all very soon  ::) I'm not completely satisfied with the texture on the large wall in the bottom left hand corner. I'm searching for something similar with the opposed wall but different and bigger, that is not easy to find.

But I still have a tougher issue with this pack. I can't find the way to program the two angles to grow in angles without the original Maxis LotEditor which never worked on my computer, even with every compatibility program. I'm on Win8 and I still had self-acting updates back then so I guess it explains everything  &sly

So some help about that would be very appreciated  :) I guess that Maxis LotEditor is the only tool that can accomplish that, or I missed something maybe ?

ANARCHIST !!

mgb204

Great to see an update from you here, your modelling style is really something that resonates with me, I look forward to adding your buildings to my cities. I just love the details on the little shops below the apartments, quintessentially French, but something that would look right in most European locations too. :thumbsup:

Are you using sourced textures or making them yourself? A good solution would be to find a really large texture for the wall (old/stained concrete), that way you could use different parts of the texture on different surfaces to make the patterns more random. I also think right now the details are very out of scale (too large) to really fit right. It shouldn't take too much work in PS/GIMP to create a suitable texture with staining that can be reused many times without looking too repetitive. Actually, that wall reminds me of an end-terrace house I used to play football besides when I was a little kid.

As for the growing angles, I presume you mean the setting to make a lot grow on corners? There are a few LE features that are not available in PIM-X, usually the solution is to open the lot in iLives Reader, where you can manually edit the setting. This one is easy, find the Lot Configuration Exemplar, the property named "Required Roads" and enter either 0x08 - Normal, 0x09 - Left Corner or 0x0C for Right Corner.

bombardiere

I like this.  :thumbsup: Especially the backyard is something that pleases me. It is nice and often forgotten detail. In real life we often see the façade only, but in SC4 birdseye view it is important to character to backside too. :)

I agree that the "dirt" on the large grey wall is too prominent. You can do as MGB204 suggested and use a larger texture or better yet you can make the grime yourself. If you use Photoshop or GIMP you and get all kinds of brushes and use these to give effects on the base texture.

QuoteI can't find the way to program the two angles to grow in angles without the original Maxis LotEditor which never worked on my computer, even with every compatibility program

I am not sure what you mean with this, but if it as MGB204 suggested and you want set the road corners, then yes it is doable in PIM-X. It in the lot file and it is coded in numbers. You click the row and it allows you to change the number. I am at the work and I don't remember right number right, but it was something like 0x08 for centre, 0x09 for the left corner and 0x0C (10) for the right corner. (edit uhuh MGB204 got even this, but yes this can be done in the PIM-X and doesn't require iLives.)

vester

These looks really good.  :thumbsup:

With a building like this, I would make a mirrored building too. This way different of the details of the buildings around the back yard will be seen.

As the other two pointed out, the textures on the back walls need a rework.
When in Photoshop or Gimp on top of base layer (concrete/plaster), add a dirt layer.
Then Add a alpha/mask layer to it. I would start with a mask that is black, then start with a paint brush, paint white on the back (white makes the layer show).
That way you can slow add dirt to your wall.

You can take a screen dump from max/gmax and add to the file as a seperate layer to help you see where the texture will go in the end.

On the brick texture try to downscale the textures to around 60-70 pro cent (0.6-0.7) of what it is now.

kbieniu7

That's a lovely model! I would have few advices to texturing, but the colleagues have already pointed the same, what I wanted ;)

Sciurus

Like I already told you on Toutsimcities, that's a very nice BAT. I agree with the others and you with the texture of the wall $%Grinno$%
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

JP Schriefer

You're doing some really nice models! Keep it up :)

Krasner

@mgb204 Thanks a lot  $%Grinno$% For texturing I use almost only photos that I shoot myself, commonly slightly modified, and simply applied. But using some photoshopping could be interesting. Also thank you very much for the modding trick

@bombardiere And thank you too for the compliment and modding trick  ;D By the way I found a satisfying texture for that wall.

@vester Thanks  ()stsfd() In fact I didn't thought about mirroring my stuff before, but that sounds interresting. The last model could be mirrored but solely if I highly modify it. For the moment it will come out in a single version with the 5 other models, but this upload would'nt mean the end of this kind of models from me  ::) Certainly not.

@kbieniu7 Thank ya my friend !

@Sciurus  ;D

@Schriefer Thank you  :)

I also have to thank Tarkus for moving this thread into TSC creations and Sciurus for integrating me into TSC Team  :bnn:

I just wanted to inform you that my building pack will come out very soon, I hope tomorrow evening. Thanks again to mgb204 and bombardiere for guiding me in the past modding issue :) I was improving some details on my models this morning but unfortunately the Gmax file of one of them (the one with a back building on the first images) got corrupted so I have to settle for a former export version which has not the best textures (different from what I showed). It is quite presentable still  /wrrd%&

Also, just to increase the hype about Sciurus' stations project, here are the few props I made for him today  ;D

ANARCHIST !!

matias93

This is going to be great!!  &hlp

Congratulations on getting into the TSC! You really deserve it  &apls

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

kbieniu7

Félicitations! Great to see that your group is alive  :thumbsup: Nice props, that is going to be a very useful project!

APSMS

It is a very nice model, however, I am concerned that the bottom storefront appears a little too flat; it doesn't have any apparent depth, and this is made more evident by the sire view, where it can be seen that only the pillars are modeled and the door in fact sits right at the front of the building model and is only textured in.

My only niggle, and it stands out only because the rest of the building seems to be so well modeled, especially the roof junk, which I like a lot. I know some of these details won't be fully apparent because of the way the game plays out (I usually play at Z4, where this stuff is visible but not particularly noticeable), but if you're not yet done exporting I figure it's worth mentioning.

Otherwise lovely work, and the props look great as well. Small details like ticket kiosks(?) make all the difference.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Krasner

@matias93 I hope so  $%Grinno$% I rely on Sciurus' impressive productivity

@APSMS Thank you  :) I understand what you mean. I have in my BAT practice a dilemma between using planes for windows and showcases, and relying on that for pursuing a high level of details quite easily, forgetting about that relative flatness aspect, or modeling the inside as well and spending much more time on it, with much more texture needs and getting a "fake feeling" of a different nature at the end. It would be very hard for me, to catch some inside atmospheres I like by modeling the inside for real  /wrrd%& I prefer to model the inside most of the time, now that I roughly get BATing techniques into my head.

About the roof junk, from experience only the side metal "crests" of the zinc parts on the mansard windows are less visible in Z4  :) Thank you for your investment in my project's achievement !

@kbieniu7 Working on working on working on  $%Grinno$%

...Because now, I'm working full time for Sciurus :D I re-worked on a very old model of a railroad crossing keeper house, to make some variants. Made two this afternoon, I will make some more of them. That is a bargain, those things are found everywhere in France and it looks practically the same everywhere, besides that the building materials are not the same

In Sciurus' pack that will come in SD, but I will make HD versions for personnal use, which could be shared if someone wants them in HD  :) I'm also working on a much more massive railroad-related building currently, which will be part of our pack. It's not advanced enough to be shown.

Greetings !

ANARCHIST !!

Silur

Lovely houses. Good Luck To You!