• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Introducing Poppy Multiplayer Regions

Started by mak, January 12, 2018, 10:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mak

Hi everyone! Sorry for all the late replies, I've been very busy with uni lately.

Quote from: gtaman on January 26, 2018, 08:22:55 AM
It has been fixed

And its very good. I have a suggestion; you should include NAM becasue i think this is the thing most of the players cant play without.

Keep the good work.

Glad to hear the launcher is now working for you. Regarding NAM, I have already included the core traffic simulator. I definitely want to add more of the components, but I'm afraid they're too large for the current plugin sync system. So perhaps I'll add a bypass feature to allow players to use their copies of NAM.

Quote from: matias93 on January 26, 2018, 10:15:36 AM
Now this is what I call real fun with regional playing!  :bnn:

Haha exactly!

Quote from: Daniel9440 . on February 12, 2018, 11:53:00 PM
On facebook we have a group called simcity 4 en espaƱol, and we have a lot of time trying to play online. We would love to have a private region where through the group we can communicate and develop our region. I will be aware of the development of the launcher. Congratulations and thanks to the developer.

Thank you very much for the compliments :) I'm currently working on updating the server software so private regions can exist. In fact, the launcher is already capable of connecting to private regions (that's why you log in after selecting a region). Once the server is ready to handle private regions I'll let everyone know. I'm still not sure whether private regions will be hosted on the PMR server, or if private servers will run their own versions of the PMR software.

Joey Messina

This is very exciting! My launcher is working and does start the game, however the simcity 4.exe process seems to crash about 5 seconds after the bridge splash screen pops up. Any idea why? I'm itching to stake my claim! I don't have a custom install path, if you are wondering.

mak

Quote from: Joey Messina on March 26, 2018, 01:17:21 PM
This is very exciting! My launcher is working and does start the game, however the simcity 4.exe process seems to crash about 5 seconds after the bridge splash screen pops up. Any idea why? I'm itching to stake my claim! I don't have a custom install path, if you are wondering.

Hi, thanks! This seems to be a problem with some CD versions of the game. Can you try setting the resolution (under "SC4 Settings...") to the lowest setting 800x600? I think that might fix the problem.

911Diva

I receive a message saying PMR is out of date, I have a tile saved, but have not been able to get back in since.

mak

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share that another region "Basil" has been added to PMR, with 49 large tiles this time. Things have slowed down these past few months but I realized the Anise region is full and there are still many other players creating accounts, so now there are more free tiles. Also, if you claimed a tile in Anise you can still claim one more tile in Basil. :)

I'm also working on polishing the server software so that other people can run it on their own servers (private regions etc) -- expect updates soon :thumbsup:

Quote from: 911Diva on April 05, 2018, 06:47:00 AM
I receive a message saying PMR is out of date, I have a tile saved, but have not been able to get back in since.
Sorry for the late reply (I have no idea how I let this message slip by) :( Please downloading the latest version of PMR from the LEX or getpmr.com

mak

Hello again, sorry to be bumping this thread so much but the newest version of the PMR Launcher has just been finished. For some reason I can't seem to update the file on the LEX* but you can get the latest version from http://getpmr.com/download while I sort this out.

The biggest change in this update is the ability to use your own plugins (such as NAM and others) with PMR! Take a look from the Basil region:

As I've mentioned before, I could never really bundle NAM into the synchronized region plugins (even though the very kind NAM Team gave me permission to do so) because it's too large for every player to download from PMR. So, instead of downloading those plugins from PMR every time you load a new region, the client will just use your local copy.

To set this up, simply move the plugins you want to use with PMR from your "SimCity 4\Plugins\" folder to the "SimCity 4\Plugins\_PMR\Plugins" folder that PMR creates. This way, PMR can access these plugins when running SimCity 4 from its working path, and you can still use these plugins when PMR isn't running (since the PMR folder is located within the standard plugins folder.

This might all seem a little convoluted, but to me this sytem appears to be the best compromise so far. I suppose the client could do some of this automatically, but I know many people have their plugins folder organized a certain way, so I don't want the launcher to be messing with that stuff without the players being aware. Another small drawback is that user plugins cannot be synchronized, which may lead to some brown boxes / blank tiles when viewing other people's cities. Oh well... ::)

Also if anyone's interested, there's now a PMR Discord channel to help coordinate city building: https://discord.gg/ppAmeKf Let me know how all this works, or if you have any questions. Thanks again! :)

*:  (The exchange threw some error about missing a filesize function and now the download doesn't work, so I've decided to lock it for now. I'll give it another try in a few hours)