• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Modifying a region through the greyscale

Started by art128, December 01, 2017, 10:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Hello,

I'm trying to modify a region to add more stuff to it.
What i did was open it with the mapper and export the greyscale .png picture which i then open with Photoshop and proceed to modify it.
Once i go to save it and import it back to either terraformer or mapper, the altitude completely changed and everything is below see level and the slopes aren't smooth like they used to be, and the height of every mountains etc was severely reduced.

Pic related:

Now I'm an extremely big novice when it comes to map making and i have almost zero knowledge of it.

What am i doing wrong?

Any help is welcomed!  :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Ralfger

I cannot explain or solve the problem but when I started to creat my own map, I did all terraforming directly in SC4Terraformer and saved it every now and than. I am not quite sure if it´s necessary to export it in Photoshop.

art128

Well the thing with doing everything in terraforming is that it's always sloppy when i do it. I'm really bad at landscaping like that.
That's why i use greyscale. It's easier for me to just chop parts of greyscale and stitch them together in PS using the various tools. And then i just import it using Terraformer/mapper but as you can see i'm having issues on that side.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

mgb204

There are certain factors you need to get right when working with greyscale images. Most important is the scaling and file format used when working in an image editor. If you get the dimensions of the image wrong, then Terraformer/Mapper will re-scale it to fit, distorting the image in the process. Similarly, if the format is wrong, you'll get unexpected results upon import.

You also need to be aware of the limitations of SC4 in respect to maps, some useful info perhaps here.

A great tutorial for using DEM data to create SC4 Maps.

Otherwise, I'd recommend scouring Google to find as much info as possible.