• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Spinlocking(?) issue

Started by Wiimeiser, May 17, 2017, 01:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiimeiser

Recently I've been having this problem where the game randomly freezes, the same (less than a) second of audio keeps playing, and if I try using the Task Manager, the game is still on top, the computer displays the desktop, but in the game's resolution and I can't interact with anything. I'm on Windows 10, and SC4 isn't the only game I've seen this happen in, it's also happened in Garry's Mod. May be a faulty RAM card, I might have to discard this laptop and get a new computer... :'(

EDIT: If it helps any, I also frequently get problems where everything except the current top program or two just freezes for several minutes, to the point where not even Ctrl-Alt-Delete works until some time has passed. In the Event Viewer it says something about my antivirus turning on, but that appears to be a symptom rather than the cause. I seriously wonder if my computer's RAM is faulty beyond repair... MSI says nothing's wrong, and I guess I should get them to actually prove it...

The Event Viewer also has occasional messages like:

The description for Event ID # from source ###### cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Successfully scheduled Software Protection service for re-start at (Time). Reason: RulesEngine.

Should I record and upload a video if it happens again?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

mgb204

Sounds to me like a hardware fault. But sometimes these things can be caused by Windows, so if possible use system restore or recover the computer from a backup before heading in that direction (a clean install of Windows on a formatted HDD is best if that doesn't cause you headaches).

After that, being a laptop you can forget most things, since aside from the RAM/HDD (assuming you can access them), everything else would make replacement the cheaper option.

As such, I'd download/run MemTest to check the RAM.

If that is clear, then run scandisk/checkdisk on the HDD. After that use the (hdd) manufacturer's utility to do a full test of the drive.

Between those it should show you if the problem is related to either component. If so, depending on the age of the computer, you might find those worth replacing to keep it going.