• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Viceroyalty of Perseus

Started by belfastsocrates, May 17, 2014, 06:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

:o Those are some serious gardens!  &apls

Fantastic background information as well, really brings it to life. Out of curiosity, are the flags added afterwards in Photoshop (or similar program) or custom made props? Either way, they look great!   :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

belfastsocrates

Quote from: vortext on June 11, 2014, 08:18:28 AM
Out of curiosity, are the flags added afterwards in Photoshop (or similar program) or custom made props? Either way, they look great!   :thumbsup:

I have flag props, such as the ones in this image below, However the 'flying' flags are added in photoshop as I haven't found anything that comes close to resembling a 'realistic' flag for in-game use.

A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

juliok102013

This city is beautiful, the mix of styles is perfects, congratulations.

belfastsocrates

Viceroyalty of Perseus Court Structure
Supreme CourtHears appeals on points of law in cases of major public importance
The Court of AppealHears appeals on points of law in criminal and civil cases from all courts
The High CourtHears complex or important civil cases and appeals from county court
County CourtsHear a wide range of civil actions including Small Claims and family cases
The Crown CourtHears all serious criminal cases
Magistrates Courts (including Youth Courts and Family Proceedings)Hears less serious criminal cases, cases involving juveniles and civil and family cases
Coroners CourtsInvestigate unexplained deaths
The Enforcement of Judgements OfficeEnforces civil judgments

Replies

@kelis: Thank you, I hope you enjoy following this MD and find more you like!

@romualdillo: I'm so pleased you picked on the nods to the City Beautiful Movement. That's one of inspirations I use when creating my cities, it is a grandiose way of creating cities but I sometimes feel we lack that in modern cities and could do with more of it.

@vortext: Thank you! I spend a great deal of time on the gardens and parks and than you for your kind words.

@juliok102013: Thank you very much, that's a very nice compliment and I hope you enjoy seeing more of the city and country.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

benedict

Click on the banner to celebrate!

belfastsocrates

Jmouse

You're creating some very "Imperial" and majestic scenes, and I like the way you've integrated RL photos which really fit in. Often they don't, but I can see you've given your MD a lot of thought and you're doing some fine work here.

belfastsocrates

Passau is the capital city of the Viceroyalty of Perseus and home to over 2.9 million people. It's the largest urban area within Perseus and one of Atlantica-Alba's largest and most densely populated cities. The city has a rich and varied history stretching back over 900 years. It was initially settled as a small harbour on the sheltered island eastern coast and opposite the western shore of Royal Cytheria, thus providing a new trading route between the two.

The first Europeans to arrive were the Dutch and they quickly established a trading port, which proved to be lucrative and led to the growth of both the port and the flourishing town. The legacy of the Dutch influence and investment remains in what is now Passau's Old Quarter, an historic area of the city with preserved and restored buildings from both the era and later buildings that took inspiration from Dutch Baroque.

Over time the town grew in both size and importance and following conquest and annexation by the British in 1640 the city became an important trading and naval port for the expanding British Empire. The British developed the town into a thriving centre for merchant trade and commerce and it's sheltered and easily defended position allowed the expansion of the naval port into one of the most important in the Empire.

The city continued to grow and prosper through the 18th, 19th and early 20th century. However the gradual decline of the British Empire combined with economic difficulties in the 1940's, 50's and 60's led to stagnation and poor decisions. The city embarked on a modernist redevelopment plan that saw many historic districts demolished and replaced with what was viewed as progressive architecture.
The most significant event in Passau's history came with the accession of what was formerly Ben Madigan, now Perseus, to the Imperial Atlantean Empire.

Passau witnessed a transformation under Atlantean rule with tens of billions invested in new districts, streetscapes, public and monumental buildings and new developments. The city was transformed with previously demolished historic buildings rebuilt and new city-wide parks and gardens created. Passau is celebrated as a personification of the City Beautiful Movement, a concept that continues to shape Passau's development today.

Today Passau is a modern, cosmopolitan, prosperous and technologically advanced city, the jewel in Perseus' crown and the beating heart of its thriving economy.

Click here for full size. Unfortunately at this zoom level a lot of detail as well as some buildings and props don't appear, but I thought seeing part of Passau was worth it.

romualdillo

belfastsocrates

Passau is a large and complex city and management of the city falls under the remit of Passau City Council and the City Executive. The City Council is an elected body of 120 councillors representing 60 wards with elections occurring every six years. The City Council is headed by the Lord Mayor of Passau, which is a primarily ceremonial role and operates on a rotational basis between the political parties and independents that comprise the council. The new Lord Mayor is presented to the city every year by means of the Lord Mayor's Parade.

The daily management of the city is the responsibility of the Passau City Executive, headed by a Chief Executive. The City Executive acts as a strategic regional authority, with powers over transport, policing, economic development, and fire and emergency planning. The Executive works very closely with, and advises, the City Council and the various committees that councillors are members of. City Council and City Executive share an office building, ensuring effective city management.

The City Council sits at City Hall which also acts as the Lord Mayor's official office and the venue for council committee meetings. Passau City Council has six committees charged to review, scrutinise or make decisions on a range of functions within its particular remit.

Development Committee
Health and Environmental Services Committee
Licensing Committee
Parks and Leisure Committee
Strategic Policy and Resources Committee
Town Planning Committee

The City Council and City Executive is mostly funded by direct government grant but also receives a significant income from the collection of domestic and business rates.

Replies

@romualdillo: Thank you very much! I'm pleased you liked it. I'm working on compiling a massive image which shows an overview of Passau in its entirety but it's fiddly

vortext

Excellent overview!  &apls

I like the how the different squares stand out! Though as much as I like the symmetrical lay-out the roads are a bit too much imho - on central square especially. Maybe it'd be better if those were all lotted instead, with some kind of old pavement. .  &Thk/(

Anyway, Passau is an impressive city nonetheless. I'm looking forward to a closer view of the historic district!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

belfastsocrates

Quote from: vortext on August 13, 2014, 03:42:25 AM
Excellent overview!  &apls

I like the how the different squares stand out! Though as much as I like the symmetrical lay-out the roads are a bit too much imho - on central square especially. Maybe it'd be better if those were all lotted instead, with some kind of old pavement. .  &Thk/(

Anyway, Passau is an impressive city nonetheless. I'm looking forward to a closer view of the historic district!  :thumbsup:

That overview is only one part of Passau, I'm working on compiling all parts of the city, on different tiles, into one image.

Regarding the central square, known as Perseus Mall, I have been thinking of redesigning that over the past few weeks, a couple of things annoy me about it. I'll likely remove the diagonal avenues from that area and create a greener public space with less exposed hard landscaping.

I might make a thing of it, a mock design competition with news in the PerseusObserver and progress images and so on.

That particular city tile is the oldest and I've started to change a few things. As with everything it's always a work in progress.

vortext

Quote from: belfastsocrates on August 13, 2014, 08:24:33 AM
That overview is only one part of Passau, I'm working on compiling all parts of the city, on different tiles, into one image.

My bad. Oh well, that's even more impressive!  :thumbsup:

Regarding the central square, known as Perseus Mall, I have been thinking of redesigning that over the past few weeks, a couple of things annoy me about it.

Check your messages, I just send you something.  ;)

That particular city tile is the oldest and I've started to change a few things. As with everything it's always a work in progress.

A proper city is always under construction.  :D
time flies like a bird

belfastsocrates

Passau Island officially dedicated by His Imperial Highness Prince Julius

His Imperial Highness Prince Julius today officially dedicated what is Perseus' largest ever land reclamation project. Major reclamation work has been completed and construction has already commenced on several sites. Today His Imperial Highness presided over an official ground-breaking ceremony and the dedication of a cornerstone for the Imperator Tower which will be the tallest building on Passau Island and compliment the already impressive Passau skyline.

Work on Passau Island commenced in 2009 and reclamation and stability works were completed in March 2014.

Work is now progressing on the new defensive sea walls that will incorporate a linear park around the island providing additional protection for new buildings from potential storm surges. Work is also due to begin on the two new bridges that will connect the island to the mainland, once these has been completed the temporary causeways providing vehicle access will be removed and work will then begin on the new Passau City Marina, a massive facility with berths for over 2500 boats.

Passau Island is seen by the Persusian Government and Passau City Council as an essential project to deliver much needed residential and commercial office space in a city with a flourishing economy and burgeoning population. Tens of thousands of new homes and approximately 30 million square feet of new office space will be built over the coming years. A team of international architects and planners have already been commissioned to direct the development and various aspects of design.

The development will also include new cultural amenities such as the magnificent new Passau Opera House and new cruise terminal. The development will also be connected to the Passau City Metro system, work is already underway on the tunnel that will carry the extension.

The entire project is expected to cost over 200 billion and is partly financed by the Persusian Government, Perseus Sovereign Wealth Fund and the Atlantean Government as well as various investors that have already purchased land for further development.

romualdillo

Great project and great job!!!  :thumbsup:

Bipin

vortext

time flies like a bird

belfastsocrates

The City of Passau is comprised of many distinct neighbourhoods which have their own attractions, character and history. One of these areas is officially known as the Illford District and more commonly referred to as the New Town.

Illford was originally a large estate and parkland owned by the Charles Haughey, 1st Earl of Caledon and was used as a private hunting estate and served as the family's residence when visiting the capital. In 1810, Arthur Haughey, 10th Earl of Caledon died without leaving an heir and the estate was passed into the ownership of the city corporation which progressed plans to develop the large parkland into a new district incorporating housing and commercial development and it was chosen as the location for a new university.

The area flourished throughout the Georgian and Victorian age and underwent redevelopment and improvements throughout the period. In the late 19th century and early 20th century it was a hive of commercial activity with massive new warehouses and office buildings constructed in a style heavily influenced by the Chicago School and later by Edwardian commercial style and Art Deco. The area's commercial buildings still feature a significant amount of Art Deco architecture which is recognised as some of the finest in Perseus and Atlantica-Alba.

In the 1990's the University of Passau purchased a large amount of land to serve as a new campus for their expanding medical and life sciences departments. Additional development of the area since then has focused on student and private sector housing as well as the continued expansion of the University of Passau.

Replies

@romualdillo - Thank you!

@Bipin- Thanks! Hopefully you like this update as well.

@vortext - Thanks, it'll certainly be a major project, Hopefully some teaser shots in the coming weeks and months.

vortext

Great job with the terraces, neat solution for the corners. As per usual the park is splendid! :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

romualdillo

Great work!! Everything is thought to the last detail. You're building an incredible monumental city!!  &apls