• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Holt: One Year Later

Started by sim_link, July 27, 2012, 06:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTT9

Congratulation! Looking foward for more :)
You can call me Matt

sc-4

Wow , it's awesome !

Congrats for all the time and the work you put  into it !

I can't wait to see what will be featured in the next update !

Call me Ludo

vortext

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

sim_link

sim_link

When one person sets in motion darkness, very rarely does someone else not end up tangled in the web that is left. In the case of Holt District, we're not done with the darkness leftover from the plan between a the region's vice-chair, an insurance company executive and developer. Oh no, we're not done at all. You see, if there is one corrupt politician at regional headquarters, how likely is it there was only 1?

The vice-chair of the region had a lot of power over many politicians below him. And what's to say that he couldn't pick up some blackmail material along the way from a friend or two in the region's police force? Or perhaps he promised some of the windfall expected to be received to those around him to get them to bend to his wishes. Perhaps there is more lurking deep within the government than we see.

And with proposals floating around to overhaul the process of electing municipal and regional governments to party-based elections, much like the provincial and federal elections... what's to say he doesn't have some of his allies working on thwarting that? Could he convince some provincial politicians, those who hold the key to how municipal and regional elections reform, to bend to his wishes? Afterall, it is much easier to get into power without any political-hopefuls being tied to a party. And it is much easier to excert your influence on politicians elected independently than it is across party lines.

But the vice-chair, who has been found out and is currently on trial, couldn't have possibly had that much influence over his fellow and superior politicians. And surely, any influence has now diminished now that he is on trial and expose as a fraud and corrupt politician... right?

You didn't expect it to disappear that easily, did you?

Pioneer

Enough of the teasers!!! Do an update already!!!!!

sim_link

DARKNESS IS LURKING

Today's update comes in the form of a news article, outlining the ongoing drama involving the former vice-chair of Holt District reginonal council, and the numerous repercussions his scheme has caused throughout the region. The news article is from the region's largest daily-circulation and online papaer,Holt News. Let's go on and read..

PUBLIC CONFIDENCE IN REGIONAL GOVERNMENT COLLAPSES

The public confidence in the Holt District regional government has collapsed following an announcement the regional chair, Robert Sims, has stepped aside following the revelations in the region's former vice-chair testimony in court. While Robert Sims was not said to be involved in any of the illegal activities concerning the Manatee tornado recovery disaster, those close to him said he stepped aside as he "knew nothing of this situation" and that "as regional chair, Robert said it is ultimately his responsibility to know what those below him are doing." Although it is not likely Robert Sims will face any legal action or criminal charges resulting from the situation, the departure of one of the few politicians the public perceive as "clean" has put a dent in the government's credibility.

A recent poll by Holt News, and statistics firm Dolesaft Polling, found that following the announcement, confidence in the region fell sharply to its lowest level ever recorded. Before news of the scandal ever broke, the government had a 87% confidence rate, which fell to 76% following the news of the situation that unfolded in Manatee. It continued to slide to 64% at the start of the vice-chair's trial. Following news of Robert Sims' departure, the confidence rating stood at a mere 24%. This has prompted the provincial government to place the region under its direct control until the next regional election can be held.

HOLT DISTRICT REGIONAL HEADQUARTERS BUILDING

Minister of Municipal Affairs, Angela Kirk, stated that "given the grave situation in Holt District regarding confidence in the regional government, the provincial government has taken into serious consideration taking over all administrative and council operations of the region, until the next regional and municipal elections are scheduled for later this year."

However, some regional councillors disagree with the province's view of the situation. A group of several councillors from the region indicated they intend to put forward a motion before regional council which will see a new interim-chair installed until the elections can be held. The group said "this will allow no provincial interference in the day-to-day operations of the government, including the granting of building permits and approval of massive development projects which keep the region moving forward." The group went on to say that "provincial interference would result in the delay of several major projects throughout the region." Kirk denied the claims, saying "the province would merely take over in the process of approving these projects and granting the permits" and that the province "does not plan on changing, in any major way, the course Holt District is currently on." She went on to add that "while all regional operations will, for now, be handled by the province that residents will not see a decline in services."

ORCHIDSEN PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT HEADQUARTERS

The in-power provincial Liberal Party, which holds the current 3 provincial seats within Holt District's boundary, said it will bring forth the motion to take over operations of the Holt District regional government "in the next few days" and a representative for the government said "the language of the motion is in the final steps." Leaders of the opposition parties all agreed that this may be one of the rare cases where all parties agree. The leader of the provincial Conservative party went on to say "Holt District has proven itself the economic engine of our province in recent years, and we cannot let the actions of some corrupt politicians halt the progress and commercial activity in the region."

Holt News will continue to bring updates as new findings around the situation arrive.

OFFICE BUILDING COMPLEX: HOME TO PROVINCIAL LIBERAL PARTY OFFICES AND PROVINCIAL CONSERVATIVE PARTY OFFICES

As you can see, we're far from done with the tangled mess left by the former regional vice-chair... far from it...

vortex
Indeed, the growth results were spectacular, and plenty of empty land... for now! :P The transition is a bit off, however it was better when the region originally became an MD, however the cores have intensified, leading to present day. However, that could change.
And nitpicking is good, how else would I do things better? :)

art128
That would be a good idea... now where to put it. Maybe annex even more land! :P And glad you like the region view!

nbvc
Thanks, glad you like them! :)

sc-4
Glad you like the region! ;D Plenty more growth, I can't wait to show everyone. :)

Kergelen
Shorecoast is definitely scenic; glad you like the region views. :)

Swordmaster
Indeed, it does. $%Grinno$% I'm not sure how "official" my seasons are, but you will notice a slight shift this year at certain points. :)

sc-4
Hope you will enjoy the sprawlburbs updates when they're released! ;D

vortex
It was officially Holt District's birthday when you posted. ;D

kelis
Thanks for stopping by! It's hard to believe it has been a year already... :)

sunv123
Thanks, sunv! Like I mentioned in my reply to kelis, it is hard to believe that it has been a year already, and how much was accomplished. And yea, 8000% growth is pretty crazy. :P

MTT9
Thanks, hope you enjoyed this update. :)

sc-4
Thanks, it has been a lot of work but has been worth it!

vortex
Thanks a bunch! ;D

Pioneer
Unfortunately RL has been keeping me busy, so teasers have been the best I can do. But I finally was able to squeak in an update of sorts, hope you enjoyed it! :)

HD.Web | HD.Twitter | BoldNEWHD

Simopsis Community| Simopsis Blog

benedict

Click on the banner to celebrate!

RickD

Oh no, I missed Holt District's first anniversary. I like the story. Looking forward to the next update.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

sim_link

benedict

I'm looking forward to seeing how the election turns out.

vortext

Oh no, politics! Whatever the election results, people are bound to end up disillusioned.  ::)

Great work on the posters!  &apls
time flies like a bird

sim_link

HD ELECTIONS: NOVEMBER 8TH UPDATE

In today's HD elections update, we'll be taking a look at how elections now work at the regional and municipal levels, the 4 main parties and their platforms, and current polling numbers. HDElections is responsible for managing the elections at the regional and municipal levels and develops polling guidelines, polling stations, issues sanctions, sets rules/regulations pursuant to provincial legislation, etc. So let's get on, starting with how elections now work in the region after a massive change was approved by the provincial legislature.
NOTE: This is a text-based update with pictures being graphs.

HOW ELECTIONS NOW WORK AT THE REGIONAL LEVEL
Holt District is located within the province of Orchidsen. The provincial legislature, where the majority of seats are held by the Orchidsen Liberal Party, recently passed into law that regional and munucipal political parties would now be permitted official status. This has led to wide, sweeping changed at the regional level, and lesser changes at the municipal level. At the regional level, the regional council is now elected on a party-based system, where the leader of the party which wins the largest number of regional seats becomes the regional government head, newly renamed the Regional Chancellor. This differs from the previous system, where the regional leader would be elected on a separate ballow from regional councillors. While councillors were free to note their political affiliation, there were no political parties, and the regional head was elected at-large. The reason for the change was lobbying by several major regions to introduce this system. It would more clearly outline the direction the region would take on major issues. While the new system is sitll not perfect, and the potential for deadlock still exists, it is hoped that it will lead to efficiencies in major regional votes and that decisions will represent a wider range of citizens views on issues that have an effect on the entire region. This is the first election with the party-based system. Independents are still welcome to run as regional councillors, however they are not in theory able to be directly elected Regional Chancellor If independents form the largest "party" (ie more independents than the largest number of seats held by one of the 4 main parties) there is to be a run off of sitting candidates, from the independents, to lead the region. This is also to be discussed further in the provincial legislature, depending on the results of this first province-wide regional/municipal elections turn out and function under their first term.

The leader of each party must run for district representative of one of the regions districts. Should they lose their district, but their party hold the plurality of seats, they will have to run in any future by-elections, and appoint a leader from those candidates elected.

It should be noted that a government cannot "fall", ie if a mart holds a minority. Depending on the deadlock created, the province may intervene. There is an expectation set forth by the province every reasonable effort to co-operate among the parties will be present in the event of a deadlock. Since many of the parties have some common elements in their platforms, it is unlikely every proposal would be shot down in the event of a minority.

HOW ELECTIONS NOW WORK AT THE MUNICIPAL LEVEL
The municipal elections will function differently than the regional elections. At the municipal, it is more-so a case of the introduction of municipal-level political parties and affiliations. Councillors will continue to be elected by ward in the municipality as they are now, with the number of councillors per ward set by the municipality with provincial approval as before. The mayor of each municipality will continue to be elected at-large. Councillors and mayors will now have party affiliations, with each party selecting candidates to run under their banner in each ward, and selecting a leader to run for the mayor's post. Under this system, it is possible one party holds the plurality of seats, but the mayor is from another political affiliation. Should the new format of regional elections not work, this system would be adopted for regional elections in the election following this campaign. The provincial government will reflect on the results, and how the regions operate under the upcoming terms. There is not as great a change at the municipal level.

THE 4 PARTIES
The following 4 parties run at the regional level. They also have "arms" in each of the municipalities in the region. Currently, no other parties exist at the municipal level, only the municipal arms of these 4 parties. This section does not include independents running.

UNION - THE HOLD DISTRICT UNION PARTY
This party is centre, centre-left. The party believe that development must be reigned in in the region. The Union Party supports ending the BOLDNEWHD plan introduced by the current regional government and developing a new plan which would see development occur at a slower pace. This would allow for a more cohesive development of the region, and to an extent give more power back to the municipalities. The Union Party believe the the major points of BOLDNEWHD are valid, and would support the continuation of the major projects introduced, but would slow the overall pace of development. The party is also looking into setting aside some undeveloped land for a large regional park and conservation area in the central portion of the region, between Kuhan and Flynn.

The Union Party also supports expanding social programs at the regional level, including the free-lunch program for under-priveledged children and expanding the regional affordable housing program currently in place.

PROGRESSIVES - THE PROGRESSIVE PARTY OF HD
This party is right-of-centre. The Progressives believe in continuing development as-is in the region, and expanding the scope of the BOLDNEWHD plan. The Progressive party supports expanding the intensification zone that is split between Flynn, Kuhan, Sherkston and Manatee to a wider area, to include the Kuhan CBD and surrounding area. The Progressive party if elected would take more development control from the municipalities with regards to projects related to BOLDNEWHD. It believes that Holt District's population should be pushed to the 20 million range, up from current estimates of a built-out population of 5-10 million. This would be achieved through intensification zone expansion, and the introduction of future intensification zones, including several along the Holt District coast.

The Progressive party supports the existing social programs at the regional level, no significant alterations would occur.

SODEMS - THE HOLT DISTRICT SOCIAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY
This party is left-leaning. The SODEMS believe in equality for all. The party supports expanding the Holt District affordable housing program to every municipality. It is looking to construct several thousand new units, and increase monetary support to those living in these projects. The SODEM party believes in expanding the scope of the region's job finding assistance program. It wants to expand it to secondary schools, and to increase the number of locations in the region. The party believes finding those out of work to be the number one priority. Given the number of avaiable jobs in the region, the party also wishes to launch a skill-retraining program to help those looking for work develop the skills to match the numerous positions available.

The SODEMS also believe in repealing all legislation related to BOLDNEWHD, except for developing a better education board (it wants the region's school to be top from in the province, up from third, in 2 years), pushing the provincial government for healthcare services expansion, and developing a better regional transit system. It also believe in returning the majority of planning back to the municipalities.

GREEN - THE GREEN PARTY OF HOLT DISTRICT
The green party is left-leaning to left-of-centre, with a focus on environmentalism. The Green Party proposes introducing a large greenbelt area to protect the undeveloped waterfront currently left in Holt District, and another to stop sprawl in the central portions of the region. The green party envisions of built-out Holt District, including greenbelt protected area, of 3.5 million. It believe development should be curtailed in the near future so as to be more sustainable in the future. It wishes to work with municipalities to strike a balance between development and green-space. The green-party also is looking to repeal development-related components of BOLDNEWHD. The party would introduce new planning policies to replace those currently in existence. The party also supports the expanding the regional affordable housing program.

The Green party opposes any additional highways, and proposes highway 40 only be widened to 6 lanes in the future, not 8-10. It supports the expansion of HDLRT throughout the region.

CURRENT POLLING
The current polling in the region shows the following results per party:
Union: 33%
Progressives: 30%
SODEMS: 20%
Green: 13%
Other: 4%

CURRENT POLLING CHART

POLLING TRENDS
This chart shows the trends of the 4 parties.

As you can currently see, it is a very close race between the Union and Progressive parties right now. Stay tuned as we watch breaking-news from the election campaign and continue to monitor the polls! We're in for a wild ride.

vortext

oh no, even more politics!  $%Grinno$%

Seriously, seems like a great update though frankly I've skimmed a bit, I'll sit down and read it properly another time. For now I can't help but wonder what the x-axis in the Polling Trend chart represents; days, weeks, months?! Or the y-axis for that matter, though I guess a percentage of the electorate would make sense. . :-\

Sorry for being chart geek.  ;D
time flies like a bird

sim_link

HOLT DISTRICT IS CHANGING.

It is no secret, in fact it is quite plain obvious, Holt District hasn't been as active as it used to be. A large part of that is time. I'm swamped in RL, and I simply haven't had the time to develop full updates for HD like I used to. A lot goes into making an update of HD, including developing storylines, historical context for photos, and then actually taking photos, editing them, writing the introductions, etc. for the updates, answering replies and posting updates across 5 versions on 4 websites. I haven't been happy with how infrequently I've been updating, and it is no secret "updates" have only really been teasers lately, save for the elections updates. Given that long-term my RL situation will remain the same, and perhaps only get busier, I've made a bold decision about the future of Holt District. One that some will like, one that others will not.

I cannot promise I will update regularly again, especially given my schedule, I'm merely attempting to make it simpler and more likely for me to update more often. Though it still will not be as often as when HD first launched.

So what was this decision? Effective the wrapping up of the elections storyline, and pending 1 or 2 other storylines, I will most likely be dropping full-on storylines from Holt District. I know this is breaking what HD set out to be, but RL has become so busy, and it obviously takes precedence. Given that I am still having fun developing and playing HD, I didn't want to see it fade away entirely. As such, updates will continue, just without the overarching storylines.

Under the new HD, we will continue to see the region change and develop. Census updates will likely stick around, but will be cut down to semi-annually (December and June of each year). There will still be some sort of wording to go along with my updates, but it will be significantly cut-down. Think back to some of the earlier updates, and that is where I am heading. No storylines spread over multiple updates in the sense you've come to know. No more "darkness", "elections", etc. We will now solely focus on the development of the region.

The reason for this change is it will simplify the update process, as I've mentioned. It will free me to update random parts of the region, not sticking to what is being told as the story-du-jour. Something else that will also occur is updates will no longer be numbered. Because updates will come in such a wide variety of sizes, I don't think numbering them anymore really has any sense. Photos will likely be continued to be numbered, but don't quote me on that. It is subject to change by relaunch time.

To those who've come to love the story-line aspect of HD, I apologize. I just simply don't have the time anymore to maintain the storylines, and no longer have the time to develop them. I've loved the storylines, and hope maybe sometime I will be able to fit in a random storyline or something, but I can't guarantee it. I hope you will continue to follow HD in its new, and quite different, form. To those hating the update frequency (hey, I am too!) – I won't guarantee this will mean more updates. It really depends on where my RL schedule goes. But I will sure try.

Now what does this simplification mean for the other aspects of HD (mainly Twitter and website)? I will most likely not update the website frequently (same as now), though I plan to use twitter more again.

Now then, some fun news. In order to signal when the changeover occurs, I will be launching an all-new look to HD once again. I'm going edgier/bold/modern this time, at least I think I am. :P That'll be under wraps until the relaunch. The date for the changeover is dependent on the next week or two of my RL schedule, however there is a tentative date in place that is soon. That is, at this point, all I can say. But come the conclusion of the election storyline, there may be another ending or two to some loose end storylines. But for sure, the elections will be represented.

This is a big change, and it may seem sudden that these changes are being adopted, however it is something I have been thinking for a while. There is the potential for more changes down the line, but for now I wouldn't worry about those. For now, I want to thank everyone who has supported HD, and I hope you will continue too. I hope this announcement doesn't come as too big a disappointment to anyone.

Given the huge change this represents, and the perhaps suddenness of this announcement, if you have any questions about this announcement, please ask them.  Given the numerous versions there are of HD, all questions will be combined into one post so everyone gets an answer to all questions asked.

I'm excited about the changes, and hope you are too. I really do hope you're not entirely disappointed about the new direction HD is heading. But simply put, I thought this change would be better than HD fading into the sunset altogether at this time.

-simlink

FrankU

Well, no. I am surely not disappointed. I always wondered where you could find the time for this elaborate project. And then I see that you have 5 versions on 4 websites. Why not cut down to one version, maybe even on one website?
Or at least: identical versions, that you can copy to all four websites. Makes your effort more efficient.

I like your MD very well and everything that you will show us will be received as a gift. And you know: one should not ask for gifts...

So I wish you a good future with HD (and your RL of course) and I will keep following you. (I really did, just had not real reasons to post comments, so I am one of those pesky lurkers).

:thumbsup:
Frank

vortext

Quality over quantity, nothing wrong with that! Besides, RL is more important anyway. As long as you're having fun building, we will be content with the pictures!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

Swordmaster

Quote from: vortext on November 14, 2013, 07:59:39 AMRL is more important anyway

What???  >:(

No, it's true; as the popular saying goes, an MD is only as good as the author is enjoying himself. Finding ways to fit MDing into a tight schedule is always a challenge, but having followed and enjoyed HD from the start, I hope you'll be most successful at that.

Cheers
Willy

benedict

Congratulations on being the number 9 MD on Ben's Top MDs this year.

sim_link

ELECTION RESULTS + THE END AS WE KNOW IT

The Holt District Union Party ran a tight campaign, and they prevailed. Taking 45% of the popular vote, they took the majority of seats on the enlarged Holt District regional council chambers, taking 26 of the 45 seats that were up for grabs throughout the region. Taking second part status was the Green Party, whose support went through the roof after a series of mis-steps from the Progressives and SODEMS. The Greens took 11 seats in the chambers. Following them are the Progressive, who were the big losers in the election only taking 5 seats. The SODEMS took the remainder, 2 seats. No independents were elected despite strong numbers in many riding. In 10 ridings independent candidates took second place.

The election results were a major shakeup from the poll at the beginning of the campaign, which showed a neck-in-neck race between the Progressives and Union Party. However, after a series of mis-steps, the Progressives popularity sunk, and party leader failed to win their seat in Sherkston. The Progressives sunk because of their stance on environmentalism, stating they would not introduce a greenbelt area to the region. They further stated that expansion of roadways and highways would be favoured over a regional transit system. The system they proposed would only connect Manatee, Sherkston and Kuhan, while the Union and Greens proposed region-wide transit LRT system. They also announced their intention to freeze funding to the regional school board, despite huge budget surpluses. They also looked to outsourcing a number of functions, including utility and road maintenance, which again proved unpopular.

The Union party took advantage of these mis-steps, and did not flip-flop on their platform. They stayed true to their proposals, and voters rewarded them. The Greens saw their popularity surge with some SODEM support being redirected to them after the SODEMS turned back on an earlier election promise to slow the pace of development substantially. They aligned themselves closer to the Union Party on this matter, so many jumped to the Green Party which has similar development ideals as the SODEMS started the campaign with.

Here's a chart showing popular support fresh from the election:

In the end, the Union took 45% of the vote, the Greens took 25% of the vote while the remainder was split amongst the Progressives (16% of the vote), the SODEMS (11% of the vote) and Independent candidates. A very different result from November 8th polling update.

In the end, a very different result than expected is what ruled in Holt District. But a majority government has been elected, and perhaps the corruption that had been winding its way into the region will be shut out by the newly elected government. One can hope the next 4 years will be stable.

But only time will tell.

THE END AS WE KNOW IT

And with that, we come to a close on this chapter of Holt District. Starting with the next update, big changes will be taking hold of Holt District, with more emphasis on more content, hopefully more often, though no guarantees on that front. ;) It has been a blast concocting these storylines, but as I mentioned in the announcement a few weeks back, I just don't have the time to play the region, develop the storylines and publish HD. So changes were necessary to continue, and to continue enjoying it to an extent. To those who left comments post-announcement, THANK YOU! I had replies to each and every comment, but as technology sometimes does my computer played "LOL, you can't have that file!" and the replies are gone. I know this message is sort of "bleh" for what you wrote, but I really do want to thank all of you for your support! Without readers like you guys, HD would have stopped long ago. And special thanks to everyone here at SC4D, who helped propel HD to #9 on Ben's Top List of MD's for this past year!

I look forward to showing you the future of HD, you'll love what's coming next!

-simlink