• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Holt: One Year Later

Started by sim_link, July 27, 2012, 06:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sim_link

Hey look, an OSITM exclusive broadcast!

Today I bring you more OSITM exclusive content! Today consists of a single image showcasing an undeveloped industrial area in Manatee. While an image like this may not be all the exciting, the story that comes with it makes it a little more intriguing. So. What's the big idea with industry? Well, for those of you who can remember back to the last region census, industry made up next to nil of the workforce in Holt District. Commerce was domniated by the commercial sector - from telecomm to finance to professional services - not many people were employed by technology firms or manufacturing companies. And thanks to less than stellar farming land, there is 0 agriculture in the region.

Industry just hasn't developed in the region because the government hasn't allowed it to. But that all has changed (obviously :P)... thanks to new planning. The record now defines industry as manufacturing and technological production and development. Think advanced manufacturing facilities and offices for tech firms like Microsoft, Google, etc. Essentially, it disallows heavy polluting industry (or the equivalent to ID in SC4). But why the change? What's it a part of? And where the heck is the image I promised?!

Oh. Here it is.  $%Grinno$%

All I can say is... well not much of anything. You'll just have to wait and see. Though, I suppose I could say...
#BOLDNEWHD

Hope you enjoyed today's OSITM exclusive update! I'm going to try and take a different approach for them, showing behind the scenes work. And make them somewhat humurous. Somewhat. :P

Side Note: For those wondering how I can control development to allow only IM and IT, I suggest you check out The Industrial Revolution Mod by T Wrecks. It is really quite awesome. :)

M4346

I personally hate industrial developments in SC4, mainly because of how they develop. I also, however, understand the necessity of it and the importance thereof to a healthy region.

I really like the planned industrial development and your layout, and look forward to seeing it fill up and how you deal with it growing anchor and filler lots! (That is, of course, if you plan on having browsable industry there).

M
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

samerton

Congratulations on the OSITM, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us! :)

art128

Congratulations on OSITM!

Very nice updates. I like the seaside residences.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

sunv123

Congrats on the OSITM, sim_link!

Wonder what industry this will bring........
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Swordmaster

Good to see you here; OSITM is a great way to get some more attention and maybe some new fans along the way. It's always fun to see what you're doing; you seem to think outside the box more often than not.

I wonder what kind of industry needs sound barriers, though.

Cheers
Willy

ecoba

Congratulations on OSITM! You have a very interesting style of development that is also very realistic.

I, for one, will be interested to see how you develop that industrial area. I've always admired those who can grow a nice-looking, realistic industrial park. I never could and ended up (when I had industrial areas at all) just pushing it aside to the corner of a city tile where nobody could see it.  :P

Ethan

sim_link

A bold new plan to develop a bold new Holt District.

BoldNewHD will create a massive change in Holt District. Every possible thing that can be changed will ultimately be. Planning and development. Transit. Jobs and recreation. Healthcare and education. Entertainment and shopping. Everything is going to change. The sleepy region Holt District started as when this MD began will be swallowed up. It is becoming a world-class region. By the time all the aims of this project are completed, the region will have been transformed into a modern metropolis. The region is already booming, with developments popping up seemingly daily. Some are well thought out, others are not. Some planning guidelines are fuzzy, leading to mis-matching areas.

With this plan, a major aim to develop the region cohesively and introduce new landmarks which will draw people, professionals, scholars and tourists alike to the region. With this plan, development will be accelerated and embrace to keep up with the massive demand. The plan will for the first time open industrial development to the region. But most important, it will try to create cohesive "zones" that make logical sense. In essence, to control sprawl. While the region will undoubtedly sprawl, this plan will control it as much as possible into logical layouts.

As you can see, the plan covers 8 major areas of focus: transit, entertainment, development, shopping, education, healthcare, recreation and jobs. Below an outline of each focus area is given below. For the full descriptions visit the plans site: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com

FOCUS AREAS:

TRANSIT:
The strength of any region is based upon its' transportation system. As Holt District grows, we need to ensure our network of roads, highways and public transportation meets the needs of our growing region. The previously announced HDHIP project is a start, increasing access to the western and southern portions of the region. But we need to keep going. A region-wide public transit system needs to be developed. The efficiency of the highways need to be continuously evaluated. Local roads need to be widened and maintained so transportation within the region moves as fast as possible.

For more information on transit visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/transit.html

ENTERTAINMENT:
The creation of new entertainment venues will help draw tourists to Holt District and expand our already growing tourist industry. The expansion of the tourist industry will lead to the creation of thousands of permanent positions, plus thousands more in construction. This includes the construction of a large-format arena, multi-purpose arena. A world-class golf course is on the docket to bring avid golfers and pro-tournaments to the region. The region is also in negotiations to sell a plot of land to a theme park operator for the creation of the first amusement park in any of the 5 regions nearest Holt District.

For more information about entertainment, visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/entertainment.html

DEVELOPMENT:
Creating a cohesive regional layout is imperative. Having everything residents need nearby, placing residential in attractive areas and developing industry near major transportation corridors is imperative. Without these basic principals the region would enter into chaos. Demand in the region is so high that even the current pace is not keeping up with demand. So this plan increases the rate of development while also controlling it. There will be more residential development. To keep up with commercial office demand, a new CBD will be founded. The density of many new developments will also increase. In order to keep the character of the region, some developments will be built in the current density style.

For more information on development visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/development.html

SHOPPING:
This plan aims to attract new retailers to Holt District through the opening of land for retail development. The plan comprises of several different types of development, including urban shopping destinations, expanded mall space and develop more convenience-based retailing for the region's permanent residents. The main aims of this segment include the construction of the 1000000+ sq.ft. Plaza Mall, The Sherkston Shopping District and expanding the overall retail footprint of the area.

For more information on shopping visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/shopping.html

EDUCATION:
The paramount of advancing a region is its education. As such the region aims to improve public education through facility expansions and renovation, training programs for teachers and new programs for students. The region is also evaluating lobbying for a satellite campus for a post-secondary education institute, or the establishment of a new university all together.

For more information on education visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/education.html

HEALTHCARE:
The Holt District Regional Government intends to make sure the health care system in the region continue to provide residents with the services required. The region together with the province is working toward the construction of new healthcare facilities, expansion of existing facilities and bringing new treatment centers to the region through the province's public health care system. The Region will maintain its already high-level of health care service.

For more information on healthcare visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/healthcare.html

RECREATION:
The region will keep the good times rolling for the region's residents! Without recreation services the region would not be able to attract residents that are driving all other sectors of the economy. The region intends to expand parkland, construct new sports complexes and construct new indoor arenas.

For more information on recreation visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/recreation.html

JOBS:
The region will continue to attract employment to the region through low taxes, available space and tax breaks to certain industries. The region will also for the first time allow the construction of industrial zones to attract greater number of companies and new residents.

For more information on jobs visit: http://boldnewhd.weebly.com/jobs.html

Whew, that was a lot of text! As you can see the region will become dramatically different than it currently is. Just about everything will be changed, and no section of land will be the same by the time this project has wrapped up. I look forward over the coming months to share with you projects will fall under this plan, and show you the BOLDNEWHD!

Again, this post was only a summary. For full information visit:
boldnewhd.weebly.com

There is a lot of awesome information on the site, so I really strongly encourage you to check it out!

Look for #BOLDNEWHD on twitter

Replies next update!

M4346

Incredible stuff! It's good to see this much effort and passion being put into an MD and I love every bit of it! ;D
New Horizons Productions

noahclem

Congratulations on a well-deserved OSITM  &dance

Fascinating stuff so far and I'm expecting a great month to come  &apls &apls

vortext

Congratulations on OSITM!  &apls

I've been following your MD a while now (lurking is a bad habit kids!) and I've always been impressed with your planning and executing of new developments. It looks like we've got more to look forward to if the Bold New plan makes it through the city council, tough crowd I understand  :P 

Looking forward to the next several booms!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

sunv123

That's a lot of stuff! Too bad I don't have any time right now to read it. I'll have to finish it up in the afternoon. Semms interesting. :thumbsup:

It sees like Holt District is having a housing bubble...... POP! POP! I want to see how Holt District recovers.... now THAT's cool.
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Dantes

What I see here for a nice highway?  $%#Ninj2 I'm curious how the city developed.
Have Fun  :)

RickD

Sorry, I missed many updates.  &mmm I like the new development in Holt District, though.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

sim_link

It's Teaser Time!

As I begin to prepare the December 2012 Census for publication I have for you more teasers! I wanted a full update, but with all the work that goes into the census a teaser is what I wound up with instead. But trust me, it's worth it. :) So today we are in an unknown location of the region, looking at something that has risen due to the new planning guidelines set out by BoldNewHD. Let's have a looksee at what could possibly going on...

Teaser 1: Believe it or not, we're in the middle of an industrial park. This man made pond was one of the requirements set out by BoldNewHD, that within industrial developments should be beautification. While some don't understand it, others appreciate the fact that some land in the industry-designated zones is occupied by nature.

Teaser 2: With the massive influx of jobs thanks to a rapidly expanding industrial sector comes an increase in residents. Here we see a brand new neighbourhood with brand new houses, brand new Jr. and Sr. high schools and brand new communications towers... the theme really here is "new, new, new." That theme is playing out across the region, which you will soon see in the census.

Stay tuned for the December 2012 Census results... the region has had another quarter of stellar growth.

Check out the newly remodelled HD Official Website at holtdistrict.weebly.com!

M4346

New teasers, new developments, new neighbourhoods, new, new, new! And I love it! ()stsfd()

I can't wait for the next full update! ;)

M
New Horizons Productions

RepublicMaster

sim_link

Could this be a sign of things to come?
#BOLDNEWHD will lead to many massive, new projects through the region. This is just the first of many.

Stay tuned for more...
#BOLDNEWHD

Stay tuned for the December 2012 Census results... the region has had another quarter of stellar growth.

Check out the newly remodelled HD Official Website at holtdistrict.weebly.com!
[/size]

sim_link

Well, this is a little embarrassing  I originally intended to be publishing the census right now, but I suppose I was a little scatterbrained yesterday. To make a long story short, I'm away from my computer that has SC4 on it this weekend, so I grabbed all the pictures and stats needed for the census update prep and publication and put them on a USB. Of course, I forgot to bring that USB stick with me. So... the census update has had to be delayed to January 15. Hopefully I actually get it up. So, enjoy this pretty image advertising the delayed census.

Any guesses to which city this is? First correct guess (across all 5 versions) may just get a cool prize. Maybe. :P

To make up for the delay, I'm finally doing applies. :P

nbvc
Thanks, it's quite an honour. Glad you like the construction areas! ;D

M4346
I like capturing some smaller details, including messy politics. It was quite a mess in the area. Booming is fun, you should see the region as a whole. ;D
The Crestview sales centre staff are waiting for your arrival!

rooker1
Thanks, I hope you are enjoying OSITM here in HD! Not quite as many updates as I originally hoped for, but RL comes first. Still doing pretty well, I think. The census should be fun. ;D

M4346
I personally have hated industrial developments in SC4 as well, which is why next to no industry developed in the region. Thanks to TWreck's mod, it makes industry a little more bearable.
In the update to come after the census I am planning on looking at some industry, but I have a bug to fix first. Hope you will like them! :)

samerton
Thanks sam, I hope you've been enjoying OSITM as much as I have! ;D

art128
Thanks! It's been fun so far. :) Glad you like the seaside residences, I was extremely happy with the area.

sunv123
Thanks! As for the industry: more sprawl! A recession is becoming less and less likely in the area, and a crash in development for that matter.

Swordmaster
Thanks! I've noticed more people posting here. SC4D version of HD has always lagged compared to its other versions (it is actually has the 2nd lowest amount of comments of the 5 versions) - but more people and number of comments have increased in general.

The sound barriers were more so to make the view of residences and motorists on the highway better. :P Glad you think I'm out of the box... I've tried to bring something different to the table.

ecoba
Thanks, I aim for realism so thanks! ;D I'm hoping it comes off as realistic. Not as realistic as I hoped (that area has since been developed) - but it still looks pretty good to me I hope you like it as well. And I did the same thing with industry in the corner. :P

M4346
Thanks! I am trying to make this as different from my previous (not published here) MD, and I am known for planning (I won a trixie for it last year... ;D) - so I thought why not have a comprehensive plan. I hope you like where it takes the region and the MD. :)

noahclem
Thanks - it's super exciting to be here! I hope your expectations are being met thus far!!

vortex
Thanks! No worries about lurking, you've commented now so all is forgotten. :P The BoldNewHD plan is actually already approved and beginning to take effect. I'm glad you like my planning so far, and I hope you continue to enjoy it!

sunv123
I hope you will have time to read it in the future. :) A recession is a long way off looking at the current economy, and plus because I said so. :P Though I won't rule it out completely for some time in the future...

Dantes
Thanks! I hope you like the developed-ness of the area when we look at it in the future. :)

RickD
No worries, everyone gets caught up in RL, other things, etc. :) Glad you like the new developments!

M4346
Hoep you like the census when it comes out - it should prove to be interesting! :)

RepublicMaster
Thanks!

bat

Congrats on the OSITM. &apls
And wonderful new updates! Great shots. :thumbsup: