• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

There are indeed some odd things with the ERRW transition, and it cannot be placed on top of existing stretches of Rail, regardless of the presence of nearby RHW networks.  Most of the issues with that (and the other RHW/Rail-related issues reported) are either avoidable (the Disconnector works on the bottom tile of the ERRW ramp-style transitions, as the false intersection is RHW x Rail-based), or are very minimal in their nuisance factor.

I am actually considering some changes to the setup on the FLEXHeight transitions on the RHW, but those are mainly to cut down on adjacency stability, in line with what was done with the revamped FLEXFly system.  Based on the look of things, removing the auto-conversion to L1 or L2 RHW-2 at the top end of the transitions may actually save hundreds of thousands of lines of RUL2 code, both with respect to existing functionality and potential future expansion.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

Found a trigger: It appears to happen if autoconnect triggers and subsequently finds a tile with the same network on the opposite side of a heavy rail (and only heavy rail, so it's likely a bug with that specific network, and I haven't tested more than 1 tile of rail), but it doesn't matter what's on the other side along the whole length since it will do any legal crossing along that stretch of rail.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

nickWtn

Um so I've got two question is there any way to use flex turn lanes with NRD-4, without converting it to a avenue, and there are plans to fully add in some of the things from TuLEPs that are currently missing from the Flex turn lanes, specifically the road TulEP - Type A Compact Transtion? I ask because I noticed that I'm using that quite a bit right now and it's the only thing I'm using from the TuLEPs.

APSMS

NRD support is likely to be very limited with the FTL. If you can make an FTL turn on to an NRD4 from a turn lane, that's as good as its going to get for now. More FTL support should be avaliable in future versions expanding into NWM setups, but NRD4 is in a funky spot that makes sorting it out a lot less straightforward than it should be.

Quote from: nickWtn on October 15, 2017, 03:33:47 PM
specifically the road TulEP - Type A Compact Transtion?
This is already supported. Just plop the FTL transition piece on top of itself and it will autoconverted to the compact transition
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

nickWtn

Yeah I guess I meant will that puzzle pice be retained in the future? Also I can't seem to build a FTL with NDR-4.

Tarkus

To follow up on APSMS' response, I can confirm that NRD-4 support does not exist.  The only plans for NRD-4 support are (a) the ability to intersect the various FTL types, (b) eventual "arrow showing" capability as the NRD-4 approaches intersections via a special FLEX piece (essentially a "Type 020" for the NRD-4), and (c) potential for some future FTL setups to occupy the same footprint as the NRD-4 (though many of them wouldn't really be classed as actual "NRD-4 FTLs", as they wouldn't actually support transitions to/from NRD-4).  I'll have more on that in the appropriate development thread in a bit.

Also, here's how the FTL equivalent of the old "Type A Compact" TuLEP works:
https://www.youtube.com/v/H6t3NRgzbOw?start=423

Unlike the TuLEPs, there's also an equivalent of this for the Type 120 setups, which can be built in a similar fashion. 

Phase 1 of the FTL system, which was completed with the release of NAM 36, was designed to be able to functionally replace the old TuLEP system in its entirety, and in many cases, it exceeds those original specifications.  If there's a transition that existed in the old TuLEPs that you haven't been able to find in the FTL options, chances are that some sort of overlap or override implementation exists that covers it.

We will not be removing the TuLEPs from the NAM, but there are no plans to expand or improve the puzzle-based TuLEPs system at any point in the future, as the FTL system and its offshoots (QuickTurn and SITAP) are now the NAM Team's path forward with turn lane development.  You'll notice the title of that development thread ("FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support") no longer mentions TuLEPs, reflecting that shift.

-Alex

nickWtn

This is what I'm using the puzzle pieces for. 

Tarkus

Yes, it exists in FTL form, as both APSMS and I alluded to above, though you have to do the overlap of the normal Type 110 FTL setup in order to construct it.

-Alex

nickWtn

XL2007

So I'm trying to run a diagonal RHW L2 R4 road over a L0 6S road, but the textures disappear and the L2 road reverts. Also tried it with a diagonal L1 RHW road and got the same result. Seems like RHW just ain't happy with the diagonals for some reason.

mgb204

Have you tried removing the lower RHW6 and dragging the diagonal-elevated section first. Then reconnect the 6S underneath, it should prove more reliable to get the overrides in place.

APSMS

I suspect that the half-dragging method will be useful here.

This gives an example of the method. Although he's using a close proximity curve, the principle (drag the diagonal, then drag the straight RHW away from either side of the diagonal) remains solid, and for whatever reason this tends to result in far more stable RHW junctions, particularly in complicated setups.
https://www.youtube.com/v/MOdDQ1jOp0c
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Kitsune

Are the road markings able to modded into a overlay texture? I'm building a port and the one I'm loosly copying has TLA-5's running between the containers on a N-S Axis.
~ NAM Team Member

Tarkus

The TLA-5 textures do exist in overlay form for use on Lots, in the NetworkWideningMod_LotSupport.dat file--the IID would be 0x51100000 for the orthogonal version.

If you're looking for just the road markings by themselves, without the pavement and curbing underneath, however, those do not exist at present, though it would not be difficult to make a texture that is just that.

-Alex

Alan_Waters

Tell me please, when the diagonals of NWM will be functional?

mgb204

As always with this type of question the answer is... When it's ready.

Work has not even yet begun on this feature, but rest assured when progress is made we'll present it to the larger community. In the meantime, you'll just have to be patient.

Kitsune

Quote from: Tarkus on October 17, 2017, 06:56:40 PM
The TLA-5 textures do exist in overlay form for use on Lots, in the NetworkWideningMod_LotSupport.dat file--the IID would be 0x51100000 for the orthogonal version.

If you're looking for just the road markings by themselves, without the pavement and curbing underneath, however, those do not exist at present, though it would not be difficult to make a texture that is just that.

-Alex

tl;dr the markings might be too dark to be useful on many base textures.

...Here is my experience with the TLA-5. I ripped the road markings off the road (I used a screenshot of lot editor in gimp to carve out the road, and then to isolate the road markings + add transparency). To my surpise ... the road markings were too dark, particularly the turning lane markings were barely visible. So it took some trial and error to find the right colors to show on the base texture I'm using.
~ NAM Team Member

Seaman

Quote from: Alan_Waters on October 18, 2017, 08:09:04 AM
Tell me please, when the diagonals of NWM will be functional?

Quote from: mgb204 on October 18, 2017, 08:21:55 AM
As always with this type of question the answer is... When it's ready.

Work has not even yet begun on this feature, but rest assured when progress is made we'll present it to the larger community. In the meantime, you'll just have to be patient.

Wait, what feature? I thought all NWMs already do have diagonals!?!

Tyberius06

I guess, they were talking about diagonal crossings/intersections. Normal diagonal paths are existing but the crossings are not, as I know.
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

dyoungyn

Having a problem with L2 Flex Height, the same problem as NAM 35. 

I even have a L2 RHW10 stub in place.  All looks great until I drag a AVE4 under.  I believe I have plenty of extra space and made space for expansion.  I tried clicking every where near the problem with no avail.

dyoungyn