• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Pense; Quite Some Time Has Passed

Started by WannGLondon, January 16, 2012, 08:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catty

Hi WannGLondon

Nice re-start to your MD, if you check out some of the other MD's you will notice that all of them have a regular replies post so every couple of days they answer all the posts people have made in their MD or they do a replies post as part of their next update.

I recommend you re-read "The SC4Devotion Mayors' Diary Section Rules"  http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=5195.0

especially the section on "Rules for Authors"

Catty (Moderator)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

WannGLondon

A suburban sprawl is born in western Pense. The large green by the riverside is Vaypool Heath, another beautiful park in the metro area.

A small center in the suburban sprawl is Lansbande. Lansbande High Street is full of shops and typical suburban stores. Located in front of Spire Circus is Lansbande Hall, once a temple retreat for the wealthy, it is now a district meeting hall for all of the western Pense area.

An update on Kings Cross Station in Pense. KC has surpassed Perry Station as the busiest commuter terminal due to the expanding south and west city. This image gives an idea of the hustle and bustle that goes on in and around the station.

This image shows the hustle and bustle that goes on in and around Bank Court.

Dockton in the west has seen some recent development with the additon of a new housing estate, New Docton Medical Center and Dockton Primary School. Surrey Wharf is seen across the smaller river (Polas River) and in the right of the image, Charlotte Palace stands by the bankside of the LaRoujse, at the entrance of the Polas River. Charlotte Palace has breathtaking views up the river all the way into the central area. It was built by the Charlotte family when the city of Pense was beginning to become a large economic center. Dockton has always been a small fishing village, but just like London's tactic of engulfing surrounding towns, Pense has done the same.

Call me Warren.

cogeo

A very ambitious MD, and apparently a lot of work has gone into it!

A mod that you may want to install, if you haven't already is the RTMT (Roadtop Mass-Transit). There are quite a few british-themed options included:
- LU tube station
- TfL bus-sign
- UK busstop road markings
There is no a London-specific busstop shelter, but the SG's collection contains 20 models to chose amongst, so I'm quite confident that you will find at least one that fits in well. And you can have more than one in the same city, as the whole thing is prop-family based, and there is also a mechanism that allows to specify which model will be selected in each plop.
I would say give it a try.

WannGLondon

Quote from: cogeo on February 26, 2012, 01:14:48 PM
A very ambitious MD, and apparently a lot of work has gone into it!

A mod that you may want to install, if you haven't already is the RTMT (Roadtop Mass-Transit). There are quite a few british-themed options included:
- LU tube station
- TfL bus-sign
- UK busstop road markings
There is no a London-specific busstop shelter, but the SG's collection contains 20 models to chose amongst, so I'm quite confident that you will find at least one that fits in well. And you can have more than one in the same city, as the whole thing is prop-family based, and there is also a mechanism that allows to specify which model will be selected in each plop.
I would say give it a try.
Thanks cogeo! Will do. And yes, a lot of effort has been put into it  :D
Call me Warren.

Jayster

I can't but help notice that there isn't any traffic in any of your pictures except for the few rare taxis and freight traffic.

Does EVERYBODY ride the bus or subway?

Other than that, it looks great!

Jayster

WannGLondon

Quote from: Jayster on February 26, 2012, 01:29:10 PM
I can't but help notice that there isn't any traffic in any of your pictures except for the few rare taxis and freight traffic.

Does EVERYBODY ride the bus or subway?

Other than that, it looks great!

Jayster
ahahah thanks, and yes tons of people either walk, take the bus and use the subway. My subway network is especially extensive  ()stsfd()
Call me Warren.

WannGLondon

A current region view. Population over 1,110,000. Some prominent parks and areas are labeled.

Just a small shot of some actual cars commuting through my city since there has been a lack of vehicles in my images, due to the extensive subway network.  :P

Call me Warren.

Jayster

There we go! I love to see pictures with actual traffic in it as it makes me feel the pictures are sort of "alive" and they're are Sims driving around all over the place.

Often times while I'm playing, I sit back and just enjoy watching my Sims drive around. Great region view!

Jayster

WannGLondon

Quote from: Jayster on February 26, 2012, 10:09:16 PM
There we go! I love to see pictures with actual traffic in it as it makes me feel the pictures are sort of "alive" and they're are Sims driving around all over the place.

Often times while I'm playing, I sit back and just enjoy watching my Sims drive around. Great region view!

Jayster
I completely get what you mean Jayster, and thanks!

Another update.
This image is in the western part of the city, north of Lansbande. On the left we can see the terraces that were constructed before the 1900s and across the LaRoujse River we can see suburban semi's built in the 1950s and 60s.

Moving back into the central area, we find ourselves at Winston Grand. This corridor is sandwiched between the northern limit of Mayvale Park and the terraced neighborhoods of northern Pense. Winston Grand is a large artery for all of western Pense because it is directly connected to the Pense motorway and the central area. This avenue sees a lot of traffic and if you look closely at one of my region views, you can locate Winston Grand at the top of Mayvale Park (the largest central park). Winston Grand runs into one neighborhood called St. George, which is a huge shopping area.

South of Mayvale Park is Great Morrow Gate. This is a symbolic gate to the Great Morrow, a large affluent area filled with sweeping terraces and extravagant mansions. The area that is in this image is Lansbury, a neighborhood in the Great Morrow. Lansbury and its neighbors have many religous and educational institutions. Currently, the rest of the Great Morrow is undeveloped, mainly because I have been searching and requesting those white terraces found in central London, but have had no luck.

This is one shot of Lansbury.

South of the Great Morrow is Invish Market. Invish Market is an area that has many produce shops and organic goods. On its western border is Chamber Hall Dept. Store (Xannepan's La Samaritane). Chamber Hall provides many luxuries for the wealthy people of the Great Morrow. Also, a large museum sits beside Chamber Hall, it is called The Morrow Museum; featuring amazing art and sculptures from every century.

Moving back towards the city, we see LaRoujse Ball Hall (the red roofed building in the center). The hall was and still is a ballroom where the royal family holds banquets and lavish parties for the well-to-do.

South of the river is St. Catharine's University. It is one of the most gorgeous unversities in the city, especially with its amazing location overlooking the river and St. Catharine Bridge.

In this image is Barhigh Manor. The manor is west of Mayvale Park, but it was built before the park even existed. It was constructed for Dorchester's son. The name is derived from an old, golden bar that was found by Dorchester and his explorers near the current site of the manor. The bar was believed to be made by the old native tribes many years before Dorchester arrived. The manor is gorgeous and is always open to the public, except on holidays. It is truly the most favorite of the Pense royal homes, with gorgeous views of Mayvale and if you are standing on the upper floors, you can see grand views of the central area.

Just a small close-up of Hywater Circus.

And here is a transportation map of most of the city.

Call me Warren.

noahclem

Looks good! I like all the Mattb325 row houses and the Parisian W2W buildings. The curves and diagonals in the transportation system add a nice character too, though I'd suggest lining them with ploppable diagonal bats like prepo's, glenni's, or ferox's.

Keep it up!  :thumbsup:

WannGLondon

Quote from: noahclem on February 27, 2012, 01:35:29 PM
Looks good! I like all the Mattb325 row houses and the Parisian W2W buildings. The curves and diagonals in the transportation system add a nice character too, though I'd suggest lining them with ploppable diagonal bats like prepo's, glenni's, or ferox's.

Keep it up!  :thumbsup:
Thanks Noah, Matt is a great BATter. His buildings help to make my city look gorgeous. And the Parisian buildings are awesome, they were originally residential, but I converted them to commerical growable using the PIM tool. And thanks, maybe I'll try the diagonal buildings out to make a smoother city.

Another update.

North of the financial district and Canton is St. Bartholemews. It is one of the oldest chruches in Pense, built around 1226. It currently sits on an embankment park and is surrounded by dense city buildings, a drastic change from when it stood in the late 1220s. It is a favorite gathering place for busy Pensites (a Pense-born citizen).

A larger, more famous church is St. May's Cathedral. St. May's dome stands tall above the wall to wall buildings of central Pense. It can be seem for miles and is one of the most popular tourist sites.

North of St. May is Northgate. This gate marks the northernmost boundary of central Pense. Northgate is an older structure built in the 1500s. It was once the gate from which all land trade passed through but is now just a small landmark and the plaza around it forms a nice retreat from the common grey and white buildings of Pense.

Moving south of the river across from the financial district is Winston Court. Government officials still meet here on a weekly basis and it has never been open to the public. It used to be a palace for the queen but was coverted in the 1700s.

West of Winston Court is The Tower. This large white building on the south bank once stood tall above the city and was used as a signal for the city to take precaution against invaders. It is now a smaller landmark looming over the river but is quite a popular tourist attraction.

On the east bank across from the financial district is Lord Harold's Palace. Lord Harold built this palace when the east bank was full of plane trees and green fields. It is now surrounded by homes built in the 1800s and shops that are famous for providing cheaper clothing. The palace is still gorgeous as is the park area surrounding it, and is still a frequent home for most all members of the royal family. The palace has gorgeous views of the central area.

Call me Warren.

dedgren

This is exceptionally nice work, but you might want to pace yourself a bit, my friend.  It's easy to get burned out on the notion that you have to post something on a daily basis.  The maps a bit back were a great help- I'd really enjoy your downtown pics more if you would take the time to do a "walking tour" theme with a detailed local map, and perhaps putting in some RL pics (if you can find ones that fit in).  One other thing that caught my eye were the "vanilla" radius DTR curves near Northgate.  Using wide rail curves in a city setting can be a lot of work, but they add (imho) tremendously to the credibility of the cityscape.

I'll certainly be back by regularly- there's a lot of hard work going into this, and I'll bet there will be big things to come.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

WannGLondon

Quote from: dedgren on February 29, 2012, 12:42:25 AM
This is exceptionally nice work, but you might want to pace yourself a bit, my friend.  It's easy to get burned out on the notion that you have to post something on a daily basis.  The maps a bit back were a great help- I'd really enjoy your downtown pics more if you would take the time to do a "walking tour" theme with a detailed local map, and perhaps putting in some RL pics (if you can find ones that fit in).  One other thing that caught my eye were the "vanilla" radius DTR curves near Northgate.  Using wide rail curves in a city setting can be a lot of work, but they add (imho) tremendously to the credibility of the cityscape.

I'll certainly be back by regularly- there's a lot of hard work going into this, and I'll bet there will be big things to come.

David

Thanks for the comment, David. Yeah I will definitely take what you say into consideration. A walking tour of my downtown actually sounds like a great idea. I try to put up region views frequently so that viewers can have some idea of where they are, I personally love region views on an MD. Lastly, yes I have put a lot of work into this city and I am glad to hear you'll be back regularly ;D

A small update....with some night shots :thumbsup:
To start out, here is a night shot of the famed, Bank Court. Sidewalks are rather empty during the night hours, but the historic buildings surrounding the circus are still beautifully lit.

This next shot is of a new tower that recently went up across from King's Cross, just across the street from the heart of the financial district.

North of the financial district we can see the gorgeous Davenport Circus.

And moving further north, South District burns brightly as club goers dance the night away and party hard.

And here we have Corley Gate. The "gate" is an area where Greatland Park meets Worthing Square, the northernmost square in the central area. This gate is a traffic-jammed center from dusk til dawn with commuters and tourists cramming into the city.

Please leave comments  :)
Call me Warren.

RickD

Nice night shots. I've been to London only once but I think your city resembles it very much.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

WannGLondon

Quote from: RickD on March 03, 2012, 09:10:13 AM
Nice night shots. I've been to London only once but I think your city resembles it very much.
Thanks RickD! I've only been once too, but I love it.

Another update.

Today, I've decided to do something different. I wanted to take you viewers on a trip through the route of the average commuter living in Pense. Now, a lot of people use the subway and train in Pense, but for asthetic purposes, I am going to show you the route of a car coming from the large suburban expanse in western Pense.
**Be warned, the commute is long if you travel by car  :P

This is the route we will be taking today, highlighted in red.

We will start from a small house on the riverside, take your pick at any of the houses.

We then travel east up Clarth Road, past some large, tudor mansions that overlook a common and the LaRoujse River. These homes are some of the most expensive in Pense.

We arrive at the entrance to the M7 motorway.

Making our way east down the M7 we come past large tower flats built for lower income residents, just north of Lansbande.

We then come to the M7-M19 Interchange.

Moving even more east on the M7, we find ourselves at the Suthing Bush exit, getting closer to Suthing Bridge.

Here is Suthing Bridge and Harper Rail Bridge. These two bridges are 2/3 ways you can get into the Central Pense Area, the last is by subway.

We then come to where the M7 ends in glorious Central Pense. The industrial center along the riverside and near the end of the motorway may not provide the grandest of entrances though.

We then come up the eastern part of Winston Grand, driving past some 19th century homes, a true testament saying that you are now in Central Pense Area.

We then exit the western-most part of Central Pense.

Further east, we come to Asting Cross, at the northwest corner of Mayvale Park, still on Winston Grand.

We then come to Points Towers, which provide stunning views across Mayvale Park and into the city. These towers are currently the residences of many affluent people.

Here is Charing Cross Station, the train station sits off Winston Grand and Maylord and provides a hub for all western-bound travellers, it is quite busy on any given day.

Still making our way down Winston Grand we drive past the area of St. George.

We then come the Vale Corner, where Winston Grand meets Vale Terrace. We will be making a right onto Vale Terrace, which runs along the eastern side of Mayvale Park.

Going south, Vale Terrace meets Tygate Manor.

Taking the curve south, we arrive at Queen's Circus, which is normally a congested round-a-bout. We make our way east from here.

Going east, we make our way past luxury buildings and a large hospital that overlooks splendid Manor Park.

We then take a turn south, past the notorious South District.

Passing South District, we come to Manor Square, a popular square for mostly Pensites.

From Manor Square, we make our way east then south along City Road.

City Road takes us right into the financial district and the heart of Pense. This area is where thousands work and is one of the most congested areas. Ambring Square is where one can pick up a quick coffee though, and run into work.

That is the end of the average car-commutter's journey, hope you enjoyed the ride.

Note: there is not a lot of traffic showing in the western-city pics because I had paused the game  :P
Call me Warren.

catty

great update ... enjoyed the journey   &apls

noticed the bus stops in some of the pictures, did you ever try out this mod

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/10921-london-modern-double-decker-bus/

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

WannGLondon

Quote from: catty on March 10, 2012, 12:14:37 PM
great update ... enjoyed the journey   &apls

noticed the bus stops in some of the pictures, did you ever try out this mod

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/10921-london-modern-double-decker-bus/

:)
Eh, not too fond of that mod, thanks though. And glad you enjoyed the update and the ride  :D.

Update on my region
Pense has grown to over 1,300,000 residents and I've started to create some modern-suburban neighborhoods in the west (not the detached semi's). Anyway, here's a pic;

Gorgeous, isn't it?  ;)
Call me Warren.

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

WannGLondon

Quote from: RickD on March 14, 2012, 04:00:43 AM
Wow. Just wow!  &apls
Thank you Raphael, nice of you to say.

Another update.

Now being showcased; the wonderful palaces of Pense!
First off, here is just a region view so you can get an idea of where the palaces are.

Lets start off with the palace that is furthest from the Central Area, Hurst Manor. Hurst Manor is the current home to the Duke of Goring. It was built in 1089 and is the oldest palace in all of Pense. It provides stunning views all over the metro area and is very popular with native Pensites. Many tourists are too keen on seeing it just because it is too far from the central area. But, a subway line will be added soon near the site so tourists will be more likely to come see it.

Making our way further into the city, we arrive at Charlotte Palace. Charlotte Palace has been mentioned before in a previous update, but here is some more information on it. The Palace is the current home to the Duke and Duchess of Rudding, but unfortunately, the Duke and Duchess aren't home frequently because there have been reports of the palace being haunted. It is easy to believe these reports because long ago the mayor of Dockton was found dead on its back lawn, next to the river. :o

Perhaps the grandest palace in all of Pense is High Barrad Palace. This palace is the current residency of any member of the royal family and its gardens are a favorite of many tourists. It was built in 1328 and provides grand views down the river to the central area.

Moving into the central area is Barhigh Manor, a wonderful manor on the north-west side of Mayvale Park.

Next we come to Mortimer House, north of the city. It was once a royal retreat but today is a museum. The neighborhood surrounding the house is once of Pense's most expensive addresses.

Moving into the central area is of course, Argetty Palace, the old residence of Dorchester himself. It is currently not open to the public because of massive renovation.

Just north of Manor Park is Tygate Manor, the favorite home of the royal family.

South of the river is Winston Court. Not a palace today, but was one once. Great views of the financial district can be seen from its embankment.

Next is Lord Harold's Palace. This palace still boasts the best royal parties and also has stunning views of the financial district. It was once a retreat like many of Pense's palaces, but is now surrounded by the city.

Lastly, I just want to thank Alex for his amazing contributions to the game. Here is an in-game screenshot of the Hotel de Ville, south of Mayvale Park. Thanks Alex.

Thanks for stopping by to see the palaces!
Here is just some random images from my city.

*All stories are fictional, please leave comments  ;D
Call me Warren.

nbvc