• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan B.

Quote from: Tarkus on September 05, 2017, 05:45:09 AM
Not for public release, eh?  I have a feeling that won't be the case for much longer . . .

One could even say it's . . . imminent . . .

-Alex

You and that I-word, Alex...

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: fire on September 07, 2017, 09:03:45 PM
when nam 36 release
"Soon" is all I can tell you. We don't try to predict our release dates at all, simply because the development cycle is so unpredictable.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

mgb204

There are no new bridges I'm aware of as part of NAM 36.

Tarkus

Following on from this thread, I've done some further curve work.

The design on this one isn't final yet, but it should give you some idea:

And the 3-tile S-Curve, designed to port the Street network's functionality over to the Road network, is now accepting overrides:

-Alex

noahclem

Great work  &apls  Noticed the extra dragging options you were working on in the other thread and think they'll be real hand. Can't have too many options for curve geometry--there's so often a big gab between the real smooth curves and the original ones, avenue being a perfect network example of that--and excellent to go to draggable!

metarvo

The AVE-4 two-tiledness ( :P ) keeps it in the shadows sometimes, so it's good to see nice features like this one ported over to the network.

I had made do with the FAR-2 style draggable s-curves until this point; this new s-curve is one of those nifty little additions you didn't know you wanted until you see it. A great bonus!

Good work!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

mgb204

Quote from: Tarkus on October 30, 2017, 03:21:56 AM
The design on this one isn't final yet, but it should give you some idea:

I had actually re-made that Ave Curve myself a while back. I have all the resources including the Road/Street/OWR junctions, all with full wealth textures for that piece. So at the risk of messing with your plans, if you want a copy, just holler and I can send them to you.

Great to see you working on improving some of these pieces, and NWM overrides, yes please. I guess having just found Bender you've been inspired to go the extra mile. I know it's made my texture work much easier.

matias93

Can I abuse of this a bit to make a request? I've been doing big roundabouts with the OWR but when overriding it with NWM starters they become unable to do smooth curves nor connect adequately to diagonal avenues or wide NWM networks, even orthogonally. And it would be really nice to have big roundabouts, particularly for the AVE-6.

I know that what I'm asking would mean some thousands of lines of code to make it work, but as you are almost infinitely inventive, maybe you can see an easier method to do this...

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Tarkus

Thanks, Noah, metarvo, mgb, and matias (and everyone who hit like)! :thumbsup:

Quote from: mgb204 on October 30, 2017, 04:24:07 PM
I had actually re-made that Ave Curve myself a while back. I have all the resources including the Road/Street/OWR junctions, all with full wealth textures for that piece. So at the risk of messing with your plans, if you want a copy, just holler and I can send them to you.

The curve I made is actually a 3x3 variant (an equivalent of the Road Short 90° WRC) rather than the default draggable 2x2, so we may be mess-free, though either way, I'd be curious to see what you have--thanks for the offer! :)

Quote from: matias93 on October 30, 2017, 06:14:56 PM
Can I abuse of this a bit to make a request? I've been doing big roundabouts with the OWR but when overriding it with NWM starters they become unable to do smooth curves nor connect adequately to diagonal avenues or wide NWM networks, even orthogonally. And it would be really nice to have big roundabouts, particularly for the AVE-6.

I know that what I'm asking would mean some thousands of lines of code to make it work, but as you are almost infinitely inventive, maybe you can see an easier method to do this...

eggman121 has been looking at new roundabout proposals as part of the REW project.  I've also toyed with the idea of a FLEX implementation of something similar to what Mandelsoft had done with his later roundabout setups. 

In any case, here's a few more peeks at things.  Here's a comparison of that 3x3 Avenue 90° curve versus the 2x2 default.  As I couldn't find a good, working draggable footprint (one of the tricky things with 2-tile networks), it's a FLEX piece.

And, tying in with the REW, OWR-1 and OWR-3 variants of the 3-tile S-Curve:

-Alex

ChiefZDN

Quote from: Tarkus on October 31, 2017, 12:38:03 AM
Thanks, Noah, metarvo, mgb, and matias (and everyone who hit like)! :thumbsup:

Quote from: mgb204 on October 30, 2017, 04:24:07 PM

The curve I made is actually a 3x3 variant (an equivalent of the Road Short 90° WRC) rather than the default draggable 2x2, so we may be mess-free, though either way, I'd be curious to see what you have--thanks for the offer! :)

Quote from: matias93 on October 30, 2017, 06:14:56 PM

eggman121 has been looking at new roundabout proposals as part of the REW project.  I've also toyed with the idea of a FLEX implementation of something similar to what Mandelsoft had done with his later roundabout setups. 

In any case, here's a few more peeks at things.  Here's a comparison of that 3x3 Avenue 90° curve versus the 2x2 default.  As I couldn't find a good, working draggable footprint (one of the tricky things with 2-tile networks), it's a FLEX piece.

And, tying in with the REW, OWR-1 and OWR-3 variants of the 3-tile S-Curve:

-Alex

Nice looking curve. I hope this will be included in the next NAM. :)

My recommendation: use the modular road system if possible.

gn_leugim

Simple things (I think) that makes the joy of many people!! NAM 37 can be released sooner if you add these only  $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Now, on a more serious note, could this excellent job be added as a patch?

Akallan

I love the curves that you propose Tarkus, this is more realistic! The curve of 90 ° Avenue Maxis is too square, with the way you do, cars pass the turn better and it seems more natural!

The curves of the other types of roads are also very beautiful, by the way! &apls
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

kbieniu7

Wow! Another awesome goodies  &apls Do you also think about making a wider curves, like 4x4? With my eyes of imagination I can see some compact curves for trumpet interchanges  ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

mgb204

Quote from: gn_leugim on October 31, 2017, 07:58:18 AM
Now, on a more serious note, could this excellent job be added as a patch?

Adding new content like this as a patch is a mixed bag. Technically it can be done, but would require you manually update/run the controller compiler for the RUL code. Frankly I think such things are better waiting until a proper release, since it's not a bug fix it just makes our job as developers harder.

Finally getting back to this, I've reworked many Ave textures for the upcoming TGN release, here's some samples of those changes:

Obviously not everything there is perfect. But the way these work is that parts of one piece are re-used for others, so it's a tough job to match everything up whilst keeping things smooth. I disliked the way a number of the wealth textures didn't line up properly for sidewalks and grass, something I have fixed here for the Ave End Pieces. Speaking of which, that's pretty much my motivation for creating full on replacements for the original 90-Degree Curves. Along with getting rid of the Yellow markings for EU users and improving the geometry. Don't worry, the defaults are still yellow, it's just that now the EU ones are white. Similarly, whilst I'm showing TSR variants here, the defaults are with Maxis Streets, I just don't use them myself. Anyhow, here's all three wealth variants, I think these are a huge improvement, they certainly took a lot of time perfecting:

The eagle-eyed will note that the grass median remains even for Med-High density zoning. This prevents a mis-match that can otherwise occur, plus I think it looks really good too. I've attached Generic Maxis versions of all these textures for those who might want to try them out.

• Ave New 90 - XX.dat - Pick either the EU or US (where XX) version.
  • Ave New Curves.dat -Contains the 45 Degree, S-Curve and other textures.

Note these files must load after z___NAM folder to work, so prefix the folder containing them with z____ (that's four underscores) to guarantee they appear.

@Alex: the Ave New 90 files are pretty much ready to be chucked into the NAM if you fancy using them. The other pieces may need some work, but feel free to use whatever you like however you see fit.

metarvo

The TGN is a remarkable addition to our networks, so I'm thrilled to see more progress.  Good work, mgb!  Even the densest concrete jungles can have grass in the medians.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Ramona Brie

Is it OK if I mention a few of the relatively minor things that would be huge QOL improvements if they were added?

I think one of mine would have to be roundabout connections to NWM networks (especially the OWR roundabout). It would certainly increase their utility to connect AVE-2s (or other single-tile networks) into them.

The other would be NWM crossings for GLR in avenue/road, though obviously that's a harder thing to work on. It would likely require the overrides that don't touch the tile, like the RHW overpass implementation.

Those two little things would give me a lot more flexibility!

Tarkus

Quote from: mgb204 on November 02, 2017, 01:34:07 PM
@Alex: the Ave New 90 files are pretty much ready to be chucked into the NAM if you fancy using them. The other pieces may need some work, but feel free to use whatever you like however you see fit.

Thanks for the files!  :thumbsup: They look great, and I'll give them a go.

Quote from: Tracker on November 02, 2017, 05:57:56 PM
I think one of mine would have to be roundabout connections to NWM networks (especially the OWR roundabout). It would certainly increase their utility to connect AVE-2s (or other single-tile networks) into them.

The other would be NWM crossings for GLR in avenue/road, though obviously that's a harder thing to work on. It would likely require the overrides that don't touch the tile, like the RHW overpass implementation.

Those two little things would give me a lot more flexibility!

And they're both great ideas. :thumbsup:  The first one--at least with respect to the OWR roundabout--is pretty easy to do, fortunately.

-Alex

matias93

Wow, sweet! That will work wonders to make small European styled boulevards  &apls

It would be as easy to do the same for 2-tile NWMs and the 4 tile roundabout?

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

mgb204

Cool to see NWM working with the OWR Roundabouts  :thumbsup:

Personally, I've just finished the code for El-Rail and Monorail to work with SAM Streets:

Shown here with NAM overrides for Moonlights BTM and Alternate ElRail mods, but don't worry if you don't use either, the regular El-Rail and Monorail pieces will of course be supported too.

Of course the real reason for doing this is that the El-Rail code needs to be in place before I can make the GLR network interact with SAM, which is the next thing on my list. I have OxO crossings sorted already though. After the base SAM2 is fully covered, it's just mostly copy/paste work to support every SAM variant. Hopefully this will be ready for NAM37.

Akallan

Very nice job Tarkus and mgb!

The roundabouts finally have connections with the NWM AVE! :thumbsup:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1